The Lure Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If conditions are right, I think you all may be pleasantly surprised but if the bass don't show try for flounder bouncing some soft plastic on the bottom. Must go as there is a man in a white coat waiting for me!

Good luck

David

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
lets just give it a go, we'd all be well chuffed to know we can get a bass locally, i love the travelling but it would be nice to have a bash half hour from home

we got one rod in gifford, one in emersons, one in stoke pk and me in winterbourne, we are the n bristol posse and i say we should go for it. lots of summer and autumn left and those school nights could produce a surprise, 4 rods are better than one, especially out there and I am afraid of no bait slinger that walks the earth....!!

pick a mark and we'll sort a trip next week! when I get back I'll sling some pm's about
Based on nothing but liking the picture, I vote for sand point!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Theres' plenty of bass in the BC, the bait anglers target them around the mouths of the rivers with lots of success (nr the MOD at St Thomas's Head for example).

I'm up for some of this lure madness though, I'd suggest picking the smallest tides though as you may get up to a foot (wowee!) of visibilty in the Sand Point area on a "small" 8m tide

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
PS - The codling will back in numbers by the end of the month, I'll put up a brand new plug of choice for the first person to take a BC codling "off the top" :)
Nice one...I think someone posted about a nice big game plug a few weeks back................!!!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
interesting stuff, i have caught quite a few bass around the aust area on bait and i know the little inlets sometimes have lots of mullet in them - big noisy lures required i guess, good luck to anyone who gives it a go!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Neap tides and a period of settled weather provides some clarity. Portishead from nautical school to sugar loaf, Clevedon from waynes hill through to kingston seymour and last but not least north side of brean down. All throw up a significant amount of bass to baits.
If I were a betting man, I would fish black rock, clevedon from low up to high on a neap tide

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Jim, Robin & Mike

Thanks for the info. It's a great help as a starting point.

Based on nothing but liking the picture, I vote for sand point!
I like the look of Sand Point too Rob and have fished there twice for cod - I thought it looked bassy.

There would be enough room for half a dozen of us to fish or split into two groups and fish different marks

Neap tides look to be the safest and best chance of 'clear' water.

·
Premium Member
8,741 Posts
ok, who's in, what are the best tides and the closest opportunity time-wise?

Paul Clarke will cry if left out and Mr Pugh from Glos will wanna be in I expect, what about others Bristol / Glos based?

And anyone else fancying something murky??

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm in...... going to do a low water Aust reccie, like others have said, neaps and settled weather will improve clarity, coupled with a "pencil" popped over the top, I know of fish being caught that far up on Fly gear, I also have heard it siad that Mr Pitts is buying the first round..........

·
Registered
84 Posts
Spent years trying flies and lures in the estuary with no luck. They're there and occasionally you may get a follow on a popper! I don't think you'll catch a lot but just one will probably be the most rewarding bass you'll catch!

My spirits have been broken, mainly by the mullet and so I couldn't possibly face the adventures!

However I hope you crack them! I know of a couple of lure caught fish from up that way so it is possible!

Good luck,
Adam (wus) ;)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
ok, who's in, what are the best tides and the closest opportunity time-wise?

Paul Clarke will cry if left out and Mr Pugh from Glos will wanna be in I expect, what about others Bristol / Glos based?

And anyone else fancying something murky??
I am ready and waiting...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh i forgot to say but on the smallest tides at aust the water wont come up to the shore and you wont want to be wading through all that mud so perhaps dont pick the absolute neap tide but a slightly larger one - hope this may help someone waste a trip!!

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
ok, who's in?
Looks like -

1 Rod
2 Robs
1 Mike
1 Chris
2 Steves

Come on Adam - A man of your experience is too valuable an asset to have sitting on the subs bench !!!

Chris and I have received some invaluable info. from David Riley and some hearsay and rumor from a number of sources about the Aust area.

Hows about a pre-assualt planning session at the Beaufort Arms (Stoke Gifford village Green) sometime next week?
We can suss out tides and times etc. ready for the off.

·
Premium Member
8,741 Posts
Steve I am ok for tues or thurs, say 8pm ish? At the Beaufort, let me know how that suits and which is best day?

Do they have wifi down there, if so we could take a laptop and suss tides etc?

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
21 - 40 of 52 Posts