Bass fly thoughts... Eyes, balance and rattles... | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Bass fly thoughts... Eyes, balance and rattles...

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by {name}, May 19, 2015.

1. Mullet (foul hooked)

Hi guys, new here, just been having a good read back through the forums content and thought it was time I started posting!

So here's the thing, eyes, how important do you think they are on Bass patterns? I was thinking about this due to the weight the eyes and necessary bug bond add. Obviously size,shape and movement are most important but I wonder are 3D realistic eyes needed? Of course I could use Jungle cock but I'm a skinflint:)

The reasoning behind this is last autumn(I don't get to fish for Bass as much as I'd like!) I spent a session where I swapped my usual sandeel/baitfish patterns with a strip retrieve for one of my big Pike flies tied on a 6/0 looking kinda like a Pollack, and fished it super slow, just keeping in touch with it really, I felt a tap, paused then the flyline went tight, I strip-struck and a large hole opened up in the sea with a very angry fish shaking its head like mad, then the hook pulled:/

Anyway, I was thinking about fishing slowly and the weight from eyes/bug bond causing the fly to "nose dive" when paused, less weight(or maybe even some foam) at the front of the fly would help the fly stay more horizontal which would surely be more natural? I've also been tying with naturals rather than synthetics in attempt to give the fly more life of its own.

Also I've tied a few with rattles in to try, anyone have any experience with rattling flies? Obviously there's plenty of plugs with them in so I guess they don't put fish off!

I'll post some pics when I get chance but I'd be interested in anyone else's findings regarding the above...

Cheers

Graham

• Like Like x 2
  2. Pollock

I personally think eyes are important on lures. (Think about how many fish use 'false' eyes in their natural patterns in an attempt to make predators strike at the wrong end)

But I also think a black dot will serve as well as any fancy holographic thing you can buy. As for weight, if you use stick-on resin eyes rather than traditional 'spindle' type eyes, I don't see that you'll be adding much weight to the front of the fly. Maybe even just try the dot.

3. Throbbing Member

There are hundreds of saltwater fly patterns that use un-weighted eyes of one type or another.

A deceiver pattern as an example can have virtually weightless stick on eyes. The heaviest part of the fly may be the hook but natural & man made materials are usually buoyant or at least of neutral density so the sink rate in slow if at all.

Bear in mind that sometimes you need a little weight to make your fly behave naturally in a current. A range of flies is very important.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Sea Trout

I used to really like lightweight foil eyes back when I did a bit of fly fishing. Fly balance is so so important and always found hang time to be a really good thing. Grahame have looked at the fake Jungle cock ? There's some good looking stuff out there at not a lot off money plus JC on fly really looks good.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mullet (foul hooked)

Forgive me guys I don't mean weighted eyes(dumbell etc), more so the weight added by the bug bond when sticking eyes on. I know to us flies come to life once they have eyes and fish can use them as a trigger/target but at the same time I've continued to catch Bass on a favourite fly that's lost its eyes after a few fish/tapping rocks. I'm not worried about Sandeel/baitfish flies to be stripped but thinking more about big flies to be fished slowly, I'll try and post some pics tomorrow to illustrate what size I'm talking about.

Tom if you can point me in the direction of that good looking fake JC I'd be grateful...

Thanks for your thoughts guys, great to hear!

Graham

6. Sea Trout

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bass

I can fish sluggos and rubber stick baits all day that have no eyes quite happily but when i tie a fly I do prefer it to have eyes , if only for my own vanity . It just gives me additional confidence .

Im really into flies that push water when Im in the shallow rocks reefy areas ,so muddler headed flies are high on my list . I tie them with EP fibres as they shed water so well .

http://www.uksaltwaterflies.com/acatalog/info_Mangroveorange.html

I love big rabbit strip tails as they pulse with zero input . I had a 9 pounder it came to a fly almost identical to this one

http://www.uksaltwaterflies.com/acatalog/info_Mangrove_Muddler_PB.html

These days Jungle Cocks are bred in captivity so i would not worry about purchasing the real thing , it works out cheaper and looks so much better than the fake ones . I also understand real ones have UV qualities , perhaps a reason why they have been so effective over the years ?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mullet (foul hooked)

Cheers for the replies fellas, I think I'm gonna buy some jungle cock for "slow" flies to reduce weight, and yes it does look very classy, didn't know about the possible UV properties Austin, very interesting!

No one use or tried tying rattles into their flies?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mullet (foul hooked)

Heres the couple of flies I promised to post, baitfish and Pollack both on a 4/0.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Graham

• Like Like x 3
  10. Shark