The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a text from Daz yesterday asking if I was up for an early session this morning down the Lleyn, after a quick chat we decided on a mark to fish over high water. And then to head back up towards the Island to catch high water at a second mark.

So it was up at 3:30 to get down to the mark for 5:00, after a slight detour and tour of the back lanes of the Lleyn we were at the first mark, conditions looked ideal with a 15mph SW and a couple of foot swell we quickly headed to the mark.

I started with the SP`s and Daz was using shallow divers, after a couple of casts Daz was into a small pollack, I had no takers on the plastics and lost a few from getting trapped between the large boulders. After about an hour we decided to head to another mark just round the corner to catch high water there as it just wasn't feeling "bassy" where we were.

Within 20 mins we were standing above the second mark looking down on some nice deep water with loads of fizz - perfect conditions. The swell here was a bit bigger and care was needed to not get swept into the sea.

Daz was still using shallow divers and I was using SP`s, within a couple of minutes Daz was into a nice little Bass of about 1.5lb, It was interesting getting fish landed in the swell, it had taken the middle treble of a daiwa saltiga minnow, after a quick picture the fish was returned and disapeared into the white water.

A few casts later Daz spotted a nice looking Bass of about 4lb following his lure just as he lifted it from the water. At this point I had had no action on the plastics so I started cycling through my plugs. Daz then shouts that he is into another fish, after a few minutes a nice little schoolie was unhooked and returned.

Time was now starting to run out as Daz had to be back so we gave it 20 minutes, I clipped on a Zonk gateride and within a couple of casts I felt a hit, a few more casts later my rod bent over and I had finally connected with a fish!! After a nice little scrap it was photographed and returned, It was a nice healthy Bass that showed 1 3/4 lb on the boga.

What a way to start a day!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
nice one guys getting right in and amongst it. looks like a successful morning

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
A very wet morning fin...good though!Although the bass were small they were very much appreciated for the effort we put in as you can see in your grin fella.We also came away happy knowing theres a mark that should produce the big shirlies later in the year.cheers daz

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Daz,
If I remember rightly every morning is a very wet morning with you...:muttley::muttley::muttley:

Good to see you on the fish again mate.....

·
Registered
346 Posts
Great fishing guys!!:-D
I'm holding my head in shame, even though I love fishing no way would I fish in those conditions :-o
Fot a start my self preservation wouldn't allow me to climb onto wet rocks with waves hitting them and I HATE getting wet.
To me you guys are hero's or fools, can't make up my mind.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Pete,
It's almost a prerequisite for Daz...that's almost flat calm for him mate...;-);-)

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Cracking report and pic's Fin, conditions looked superb, Daz, nice to see you haven't lost your touch mate :wink:

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Hats off to fin for sacrificing his camera,hes such a good sport.Conditions were testing at times swell,weed etc but all in all i loved every minute of it.Im gonna purchase one of the life vests off **** for sure,unhooking the fish and releasing was a challenge and taking your eye off the swell aint good.What struck me most (waves lol) was how bloody warm the water was,like tepid bath water.Oh and the 14cm daiwa saltiga minnow in lazer sardine shows its worth once again....i love that lure!!!cheers fin,good company fella....ta daz.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Cheers Daz, Had an awesome time. As you say the water was really warm so wasnt too bothered about being drenched, a life jacket would definately be a good idea in those sort of conditions or a tether of some sort..

The camera is currently drying out!!! dont think its going to survive that kind of soaking though!!!! got it out of a dry pocket for Daz to get a shot of my fish, a few waves over my head later - pic taken and camera goes back into pocket, unfortunately I didnt notice that it was now full of water!! - DOH!! At least we salvaged the pictures.

Is there not wading jackets available with buoyancy aids built in?

I am thinking about getting the sealable boxes for my sling bag - they would act as a floatation device!!!

I think theres gonna be some nice fish coming out at that spot over the next couple of months.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Put in a good shift there, boys
Having fished that mark many times over the last twenty years or so its hard work down and up back again even in still weather, innit?
Interesting though the water colour...I'd not have considered lures in that myself...up till now that is.
I'm new to this Forum - has there been much previous discussion about when lure-ing is a waste of time due to cloudy water?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
On the issue of keeping cameras dry I came across this website at the weekend.

http://www.aquapac.net/ukstore/waterproof-camera-camcorder-cases-588-0.html

The pouches themselves are not that cheap but compared to the cost of getting a proper waterproof camera it seems like money well spent. They do waterprrof pouches for everything....cameras, mobiles, I phones, lap tops lol! & claim that in the case of the cameras that they can be still be operated whilst in the pouch & underwater.

I'm going to get one of those Ultimate life vests or some form of life jacket soon as well. What I've got at home (kids & wife) just aint worth risking your life for when out fishing. Appreciate that wearing a lifejacket may not be for everyone but I saw a safety vid once. It was some guy working at a refinery at night making a repair. He didn't do the simple things like put on a pair of fireproof overalls & saftey specs - the things that would have taken seconds.

End result = the work he was doing went wrong, he got first degree burns, spent 12 months in hospital in agony & he is still in agony. Also split up from his wife & lost contact with his kids through all the stress & strain of what happened. Each to their own & there will be times when wearing a lifejacket maybe OTT but for me spending a few quid & using one is a good idea. Something that takes seconds to put on & is easy to use could end up saving my life.

Anyhow,apologies if the above is a bit of a downer, it was just I spose the vid had the desired effect on me............

1 - 18 of 18 Posts