The Lure Forums banner

Bass Lures for Freshwater Fish?

956 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Dave M 
#1 ·
I fish with lures in the sea for bass/pollack but have never fished with lures in freshwater and want to give it a try locally. I am wondering if I can use my standard selection of saltwater lures in lakes? I'm thinking SG Sandeels, Patchinko, Saltskimmer,Tackle House Feed Shallow, or Soft plastics like Wave Worms, Megabass Dot Crawler or XLayer etc......
I suppose the question is, will trout/Pike/roach take lures like this? Newbie question I know, sorry. I know nothing about freshwater fishing. If not, any tips would be great.

Thanks
Neil

#2 ·
The feed shallow would be a great pike lure.
As would many bigger profile minnows.
Small senkos for Perch.
Paddle tails for pike or Perch or Zander, depending on size. Buying Koptyos wont break the bank.
Patchinko 2 for Pike, but cup faced surface lures would be better. Chug Bugs? Gunfish? Mag poppers?

#3 ·
That's brilliant Michael, really helpful.

Are there any recommended colours which work best? I'm just thinking what I've got at the moment based on your suggestions:
Clear/yellow face IMA Popkey?
Green Tackle House Feed Popper.
Also, would white senkos be best?

Thanks again
Neil.

#4 ·
Basic rule. The clearer the water, the more natural the pattern, but pike will hit some outlandish colours out of aggression. One autumn, crystal clear water the best colour by a mile was GOLDFISH!
I'd bet white plastics would be better for Pike than Perch, never tried senkos on them though. Savage gear sandeels or curly tails on weightless/belly weight hooks?
Perch reds, yellows, browns? half a big senko, or 3/4" max.
If your going to give the topwaters a go, colours aren't so important, but if you are thinking this year, then get out with them before the first coloured conditions. at this time of year, after rivers colour up once pike tend to start moving into winter mode, even if things clear up, then they wont be so keen on topwaters till post spawning next spring.

#5 ·
Cheers Michael. So much to learn (again!!!!!) But thanks so much for all this. I'm popping up to to Rudyard Lake in Staffordshire (30 minutes as opposed to 2 hours to Anglesey!) so I'll bear it all in mind on the maiden voyage into lake fishing. Thanks again.
Neil.

#9 ·
All the lures you've mentioned will be ok. it's more the way you fish them. think dieing fish. so erratic retrieve even let it hang for a while then the odd sharp jerk. as the weather gets colder fish nearer the river/lake bed and slow. freshwater fish will not chase in cold weather. they will not expend more energy than they think they will get from the meal... very important pike are very delicate fish always use a unhooking mat. if you have never fished for them before go with someone who knows how to handle them. they may look rough tough fish but they are not. hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.