The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday I fished solo on a sheltered beach on the North North coast. Had 4 bass like this on dry flies while targeting mullet feeding on sand hoppers. Mullet were everywhere but were playing hard to get

Sunday fished from the boat with a friend , we had 8 or 9 Bass on surface poppers and clousers

Saturday warm . Sunday freezing

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Nice fishing Austen!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Austen

How you keeping? nice to see you still get time to catch some Cornish fish in between your travels.

Cheers

Nigel
Hi Nigel

Great to hear from you. I really have my ukbassfishing mojo back this year. As you know Ive been pretty spoilt with all those tropical trips. I made a descision to stay in the UK this winter. I have some big jobs to do on our new home plus I end up missing out on prime Cornish season.
Ive been fishing on your doorstep quite a bit this year although I seem to be doing better down here on the South coast so far.

Cheers

Oz

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Oz

Good to see you getting some prime time in, if your in the area give me a call.
Have to join you some time in the cape to get one of those big girls.

Cheers

Nigel

·
Registered
949 Posts
Nice looking bass. Where you using the sammy to attract the fish and then reverting to the fly to catch them?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi Ian

Well spotted. I fished the sammy for a while with no joy, then switched over to fly and had instant results. There were fish everwhere feeding hard so I can say with confidence that Mr Sammy had no influence. I do love that lure. Ive had loads of fish with it this year.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi Oz With that amount of hard fish feeding activity, I would have expected you'd get at least some interest in the surface lure, even just a few nervous swirls, to prompt you to switch to the fly, but no interest is, well, quite interesting!
I have lost count of the amount of times I have had nervous swirls and flicks using large surface lures then switched to a smaller one to get an immediate take. Same with teaser flies fished with surface lures - swirls to the lure, but the takes on the teaser, I suppose its a case of sometimes they just know what they really really want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts