The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out today on a very well known bass surf beach in east cork, i was wading upto my waist when i noticed a lot of silver fish about swimming into the clouds of sand thrown up by the waves...there was a great surf thanks to the wind but no matter what lure i tried i couldnt get a hook up....there are sometimes mullet here but these didnt look like mullet, more bass shaped any tips advice of fishing these situations would be greatly appreciated il give the same mark a go tomorrow.

Tight Lines.

Wilky

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
time to learn how to cycle your lure around in the wave.

Rather than me trying to explain it, my Internet friend and writer Ken Abrames wrote this ages ago

http://www.stripermoon.com/articles/article19.html

As far as I'm concerned, it matters not he's talking fly rods. Just think about the presentation.
It works. I categorically stake what reputation I have on it.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Very cool photo Mike,
Is that bass in the pic??

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes like this but small waves at one stage i thought they were going to charge and attack me :( wish they had at least it would be a good story :) :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what Mr Abrames seems to be saying is that i must cast down the length of the wave i presume parallel hhhmmmm interesting il give it a go tomorrow, keith!

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
So what Mr Abrames seems to be saying is that i must cast down the length of the wave i presume parallel hhhmmmm interesting il give it a go tomorrow, keith!
This is def a good tip and is done on a few marks down this neck of woods.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So now should i be using plus/tobys/lures or which is better??

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
So now should i be using plus/tobys/lures or which is better??
Kevin, I would say that will depend on depth? Having that image may help to illustrate what I mean. Say for example you have a drop behind that cresting wave, you may wish to come through that drop off and into the waves current. The depth will have a big impact of what lure you actually use imho. I would prefer to use something with a reasonable body width, to remain stable when it collides with the waves current. Hopefully others will throw some options in as well.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks i suppose its trial and error :) thanks for all the great advice :) i just never thought bass do this i always heard people talking about seeing bass like this but i always thought it was a fishermams tale to impress novices...how wrong i was...delighted to be proved wrong though amazing sight :)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Yes along the length.
Work out which way the wave is running too. Cast up, along where it is coming from. Allow lures to cycle around in the wave. With a plug, at the crest, crank down hard and relax. Let the wave take the lure around the cycle once, or twice or more in the case of a suspending lure. Allow a just taught line and follow the lure around with the rod tip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts