The Lure Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is this great Afrikaans expression to describe someone taking something tentatively - 'met langtande'. Literally translated it means 'with long teeth' and if you have ever dropped a piece of hot meat off the BBQ and given it to your dog you will have seen how they pull their lips right back before grabbing the meat - hence 'taking with long teeth'.

I fished a saltwater bay system last night as the tide dropped and hooked 4 and landed 3 fish around 2-3lbs off the top. What was interesting was that the usual stuff (Z-Claw, Zipsea Pop) was ignored our just sniffed at - the 95 Bonnie and the Pathinko 100 both got fish - in all cases they were hooked outside the mouth - it seemed they were just slapping at the lure - not really eating. I formed the impression that they found the lures irritating - both lures are small and have noisy rattles. This morning - in a different location - same story - it took SPs fished very slowly right on the bottom to catch 5 (between myself and a French guy) up to 4lb in otherwise ideal conditions. Takes were gentle taps. Wonder if the pressure has changed?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Rolfe, we experienced the same on Friday night. Fish were shy and we only caught the smaller fellas (I say "we" meaning everyone BUT me!) and all were lightly hooked on the outside of the mouth as if they had been slapping/slashing at the lures rather than really trying to inhale or eat the lures. Well done for persevering and beaching a few though!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I was fishing in amongst a shoal a couple of nights ago with the Patchinko 100, and the few fish I took were lightly hooked outside the mouth. The funniest and most frustrating thing was seeing on about 5 different occasions, my lure get smashed into the air by swiping fish! There'd be a splash, and in the middle of it would be my plug soaring majestically through the air! Brilliant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts