The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a phone call from Roger assistant editor of Total Sea Fishing last Friday and he asked whether I could get him on some bass as they wanted to do an article type feature, for the magazine.

Now although the bass are coming in now, I was still a little unsure of what the conditions would be, so I phoned Roger back after doing a bit of home work on tides and conditions and felt confident that we could get in on some action.
But could we get on the bass, with the eyes of Total Sea Fishing looking on? What would Roger think? Could he get a feature?
He came down down on the Monday afternoon so we could hit the marks early on Tuesday plus we had to go out for a meal on Monday night at the Tyacks pub/hotel to discuss the plan for the following day.

4am in the morning on Tuesday we set off to a southerly mark in Cornwall, to were after a few casts I was already into a bass , but nothing of any size.
Nothing showed up even though the conditions looked perfect, the bass were there, but they just didn’t want what we had to offer!
We stayed for a bit longer but the deciding factor for us to move was when the weed and seals moved in!

With any mark you fish, you need a back up mark just in case things go Pete tong (wrong) so it was off to mark number two.
Robert left our current location first to get to the number two spot as we had to stop for some breakfast first. When we finally got to the location, we had a great view of Robert below us, a good 200m down the cliff.

We started our decent and as we got half way down the cliff, we heard a all to familiar sound of Robert shouting with excitement! Which ment he was into a good fish.
We looked down and saw Robert bent into a really nice fish and as he finally landed her, we could see that she was about 5lb, and when we got to him eventually and weighed the bass, she weighed 5lb 10oz.
Roger was next into a bass which gave him a scrap, but as I walked down to grab the bass, she slipped the hooks and got off. A fish of about 2.5lb
Soon after the weed was everywhere and was getting to much for us to continue fishing, and decided to call it a day and try another location, but first we had to tackle the 200m plus climb up the cliff, which needed a rope for the first 40 meters.
We headed off to North Cornwall now but the swell was to big at our chosen location, even though it was fish able we had to look after our guest with regards to his safety.

So off to mark 4 which was a giant gully with the outer rock blocking the swell. After my second cast I was into a Really big fish, which gave me such a massive scrap, which the fish won after 5 minutes.
Next couple of casts produced another scrap this time I won and to my amazement it was a big Mackerel on my 175 press bait weighing 58g’s.
We all left soon after as we was wine and dinning Roger at the Penventon hotel, were a game plan was drawn up for the following day.
9th Wednesday
Up at 3 am for a 4am start and off to the west coast again and as none of the guys have fished this location, we had a quick brief before I put the. On their marks.
The conditions were looking great, but an East wind blowing was the only down side. I walked over to mark mark and worked the gullies with my feed shallow, which got nailed with my second cast, It has to be my hardest fight I have ever had and as I got the bass to within 10ft of me I could see it was a big double figure bass, it looked massive! With the Boga grips in one hand and the rod as high as I could get it to bring the bass in closer to aid in grabbing her, she had other ideas as she turned me quite easily as I had no leverage with the rod so high and she broke free!!!
After I lost that fish I was a flipping shaking wreck on the fish I had just lost and after pulling myself together casted again to the same place and again hooked into a nice fish, I could feel it was no double but none the less a great fight.
I eventually landed the fish which almost went 6lb. No one had seen this fish so I slipped her into a rock pool and call the others over for Roger Mortimer to take some photos.
As we walked back we bumped into Marq Quinton and had a nice chat with him and asked him to join our party, one of the questions I wanted to ask him was his girl friend still catching more than him, which he was brave enough to mention on the lure forum the other day.
So now all the guys where fishing in the same location, of where I have been getting some action, and was soon in again on the feed shallow. Fish of around 3lb landed and returned.

Conditions changed as the tide dropped further and time to pull out the Bad Boy! First cast and BANG fish on at full range of about 60 meters WHAT a fight, she gave me the run around big time!!
Roger was trying to keep up with the fight with his MASSIVE camera , which weighed a ton as I was running around trying to get a vantage point, the bass made runs and once she made up her mind to turn, I just had to give her line. The problem was she was darting up gullies and I had to just put my hand on the spool to stop her, the problem is this just weakens the hook position in the Mouth.
I got ready to land her but as I walked down to land her she pulled free and legged it, she looked to be around 6lb.
I moved to another location and casted the Bad Boy and bang fish on and I have never seen a bass take a lure with such an impact the bass hit the lure so hard she came out of the water by half a meter EASILY!, she weighed 4lb.
Cast again, this time I miss timed the cast as I wanted to hit behind the wave but landed on it, and this bass was out of the water hammering toward the Bad Boy and I was yelling like a girl watching this bass gaining on the lure….Bang! Fish on! Again fish was laned and weighed 5lb.
All this was being witnessed by all the guys and was being photographed by Total Sea Fishing who I don’t think he could believe what was happening in front of him.

I lost count of the bass that was landed as it was so exciting and I just lost track of time, I was dancing and singing, I was just loving it!
We got what Roger came for so we soon ended it there as he had a long drive back to the office.
What a couple hours fishing….just awesome !

A big Thank You goes out to Roger and Barney for giving us the opportunity to show what we are doing down here.
Don’t forget to buy a copy when it comes out on the 9th July!!!

Photos were taken by Roger so you can only see them in the magazine, but I have taken a couple and will upload them later.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one meeeeht!! Red letter day in front of the cameras!

Reactions: Nathan Taylor

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Fantastic Nathan. Great to hear your success especially on cue for the cameras and the Angling press. Let us know when the article finally gets released and will take a look..

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Nathan said:
I know mate, I've only caught a couple this year ...lol
Well you will go wearing Speedo's...enough to put anything off.....:muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley:

Well done mate !

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Pure Class Nathan,
Sign of a real pro, having multiple marks mapped and planned. No wasted time, just straight on to another productive mark.
You and your father should be very proud, guiding (if it is done right) isn't easy, especially in this country with it's fickle weather.
Don't normally buy Total Fishing, But I will buy that issue!! Nathan, Bassmasters is a credit to you,Will have to get down your way some time soon.
Wish you every success, but I have to say, it looks like you don't need it.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys to kind.!
Dave your right mate guiding isn't easy, if you treat it as your just going out for a jolly, then yes it is! But Henry Gilbey tought me a valuable lesson that a guide shouldn't fish, unless asked too by your client! As it's all about the client and not about your ego.
I was just lucky in this case that Roger from Total Sea Fishing said that he just wanted me to TRY and produce some bass.

I've just been told it has definately made front cover! I can't believe it. The magazine has no problem in me telling people and in fact they seem to encourage it, which is great! Honestly though, Roger Mortimer is so helpful and such a great guy, he's a credit to the Magazine!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nathan,
Been there guiding wise, Try spending an hour setting up a cast at a ten pound bonefish, only for the client to cast at a coral lump, "because it looked like a bigger bonefish" D'Oh!!
Professional attitude, hard work-You deserve the cover shot-but PLEASE tell me there isn't any speedo's in the photo!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Great post Nathan, well done on finding the bass. your right guiding is all about the clients and it takes alot to keep some people happy, good for you.
Sounds like you need to be a mountain goat to fish some of your marks. I will be taking you up on your guiding services later in the year.
Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Excellent write up Nathan. The pressure on you and Robert must have been tremendous. I'm sure Roger couldn't believe his eyes, well done.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts