The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a couple of days fishing in Cornwall with the Bassmasters crew last week. We fished some stunningly beuitiful locations, proper rugged rock marks with plenty of swell and white water. To be honest i was so far out of my comfort zone that the whole experience at first was quite overwhelming. most of my fishing is in an estuary environment so i'm not that experienced at 'rock' fishing.

I would love to say that i bagged up, On the first day i caught 3 bass up to 4lb, a pollack of about a pound and a half and a garfish. Not a bad haul for the day but Rob showed the potential of the mark by bagging about 7 bass from one spot in a couple of hours or so.
On the second day we found the fish again. The first mark we tried wasn't right so we went to a back up mark and on my second or third cast i hit into a good fish quickly stripping several yards of line off me and going into the kelp, steady pressure got it moving and not long after i was smiling in front of the camera with a new pb Pollack of 3lb 3oz.
Three more Bass up to around 3lb shortly followed. As the tide pushed us to other areas the fish got harder to find and i didnt get any more. I learnt about fishing soft plastics and top water lures as well as honing my sub surface technique. At all times i felt completely safe, the guys are constantly checking for danger, i would trust them with my life any day. Thanks Bassmasters for your help hospitality and patients, Toby.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
To be honest i was so far out of my comfort zone that the whole experience at first was quite overwhelming. most of my fishing is in an estuary environment so i'm not that experienced at 'rock' fishing.
With a guide, you should embrace moments like this as you obviously did. It is a real fast track to stepping out of ones comfort zone.
However, as a guide, It's important to remember that just because we take locations for granted, clients might be overwhelmed.

I always stress that guys should say something if they are uncomfortable simply because...by the time they do say something, they are actually well past being out of the comfort zone by some margin.

Believe me though, Nathan is a mountain goat over rocks. Even me and Kev were blown away by his ability to cover vast amounts of unfamiliar ground in seconds. His dad must be the same over this type of terrain or he'd never keep up.

Easiest way next time is to break his legs (which would obviously ruin your trip), or, steal his mirror (Nathan is a mirror lover).

Great report btw and well done. Nice fishing.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Toby,
Looks and sounds like you had a great time, love the pollack-I only ever seem to catch the little one.
Nathan and Rob are top class aren't they, never heard anything but praise from all those that have fished with them.
Beautiful water in those pics too-screams fish.

Reactions: Nathan Taylor

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nice report Toby! You look well happy. Don't think you could get any farther from estuary fishing, you must of loved every second though.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
stunning what more can be said ! nathan sure knows where the fish are well done .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts