The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
North East 6/7 winds today so I ventured down a cliff mark, not been there in ages (like 3+ years) and only fished a few times for some reason. Can't imagine why...

Mark3Flooding.jpg

I started on the rock directly below the offshore reef in this pic, this is about an hour after I got there (2.5 hours up) and flooding very very hard on a massive tide (9+ metres low to high today).

Fishing a Sayori shad with the green back (Aji I think?) and first cast I was mullered by something, hook didn't penetrate though.

Every other cast after that I had fish peck at the lure but nothing like the first hit, likely small wrasse I guess.

I was soon pushed back by the flood and casting in a different direction more effected by the wind but the Rocksweeper was well up for it. Then I had a tap tap, pull, lifted the rod and whallop, then nothing?????? Weird but i'll keep working it on the way back i thought, then I saw the lure approaching, well what was left of it!! Now those lures are 6 inches long, and there was only an inch left hanging off the hook. now that was a BIG wrasse to do that to a lure!! 5 inches of lure gone.

a few more casts before i was pushed yet further back (the gullies fill quickly and you really have to watch it as they run parallel to the shore cutting you off, some of them wide and deep)

I had moved right back and just chucked a lure out, decided to have a look down the gully I was next to to check on the tide and right under my feet, 3ft out and 1ft deep was a 6lb+ bass, and where was my sayori? 40 yards out near the bottom. I watched as it cruised away into the murk, seemingly not seeing me.

here's the gully, barely any water in it but the bass were evidently coming in on the flood into the shallow water after crabs or small fish I guess.

FishyGully.jpg

I was fishing from the little point top right when i saw the bass, pic taken from the head of the gully. Seeing the right species is enough to get me going again!!

I obviously had a few casts in the direction it was headed but ended up getting snagged so put on the beast (Orange TM175) for a few chucks. Nothing doing and the tide flooding over the top of the gullies I had just escaped across covering the rocks I had been standing on jiust an hour previous so on with the patchinko. Now this is one of my expensive lures which doesn't catch, but I can work it and it looks bloney good in the water.

Major distance cast way over to another gully system, walking the dog nicely and smash, splash!! Fish on!! Lots of thrashing on the surface at full range and then it went down and deep giving some good head shakes and feeling quite nice. Trying to remember I am on a heavier rod than my default Infeet so maybe it's OK size wise though not much line being taken it is hanging on I am thinking to myself. maybe it's foul hooked??

Well it wasn't. Very well hooked and actually the first time I have had a bass inhale a hard lure, he really wanted it eh!!

10.10.10Basspatchinko.jpg

I always have the forceps with me so it was unhooked OK and didn't seem to be any major damage despite a little blood. weighed at 3-0-4, in weight for the club but the length was only 48cm so undersize length wise so not good enough for our club comp unfortunately.

never mind, released it and it went straight down slow and steady into the murk.

Fading light got me scarpering back across the rocks and up the cliff paths.

Nice day!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
That top mark looks stunning Andy. I can't judge it scale wise though, how far from where you took the pic to the last rock in the middle not blurred out?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That top mark looks stunning Andy. I can't judge it scale wise though, how far from where you took the pic to the last rock in the middle not blurred out?
To the tiny rock not quite covered in the distance, about 50 yards I guess, max range with a Patchinko.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Always good to take a fish at range. Nice one mate!

Real nice looking ground there as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts