Bay ruff ?? | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Bay ruff ??

Discussion in 'Surface Lures' started by {name}, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Banned

So what's so special about them?
    They have been around for a while now and I've still not bought oneo_O
    I've tried the ima rocket bait and can see the appeal of this type of lure

BUT......

I've seen a few catch reports and people raving about them but I'm also seeing a few pop up in the classifieds ???
    As I understand it they are a long casting, fast sinking, surface layer lure but there are jigs and metals that will do the same for half the price, so are they worth the money??

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bass

Shaun these lures are certainly not jigs or metals as you put it.They are a non-floating, long casting surface lure for calm conditions. Ideally waked at night but I have caught on them in the daytime, but are not one of my go to daytime lures. They have a tight wobble when fished just under the surface.
    A lot of people do not get on with them because when they hit the water they sink straight away and quite a few people fishing gnarly ground loose the lure first cast. If you do decide to try one make sure you give it a go on clean ground to start with just to get used to it and then you will get the confidence to use it at most marks.
    Hope that convinced you!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Sea Trout Staff Member

They cast miles and very subtlety wiggle on retrieve, yes they sink fast but it really doesn't take a fast retrieve to bring them to the surface quickly. They come back at you with their nose up out of the water and back end gently shaking. I fish mine over gnarly reefs and haven't snagged one yet. You've just got to get reeling as soon as they touch down if you're over rocks. The other different thing I've noticed about them is if you pause the retrieve they slide backwards as opposed to most metals which drop or flutter straight down.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Banned

They come in some weird colour schemes, what colours work for you guys?
    I think I need one :muttley:

5. Bass

Remember you have the 135 @ 21g or the 115 @ 16g

I would go as my first one either white red belly or (yellow back) ghost pearl chart

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Sprat

a short wtd after reaching the surface or mid retreive acts as a dinner Bell
    No seabass on them yet [​IMG]

Στάλθηκε από το A0001 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  7. Pollock

These can also be danced across the top pencil popper style and definitely work in rougher conditions also. Try the bay ruff manic fish 88 or 99.its essentially a wider version.