The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was originally planning on a Saturday evening session but this wasnt going down well with the Boss but a Saturday morning session was better received. As a result, I met Dave and Cliff at 6.0 at a reef mark in Sussex this morning. Conditions looked good with the recent northerly winds hopefully clearing our normally murky waters. The first streaks of dawn were showing when we hit the beach. Even in the dark, I could see the water was much clearer than its been lately so hopes were high. We spread out and I opted for my 'go to' lure these days, a giant Xlayer in Ayu with a 5 gm jighead.

Regretfully the day didn't pan out fully as we intended, both Dave and Cliff practised my renowned trick of (premature) catch and release with a fish on and then off each. I got lucky and almost as the lure was at my feet, a solid take signalled a fish. With no particular snags I could afford to play him lightly and several runs later I had this fella on the beach.

Cliff did the honours with the camera and at just over 4lb, another nice fish to the Xlayer.

Well I shouldnt refer to a bass as a beast really (lol)!

Sorry for the ugly mug (yes I know - no change!) I missed the Hampshire trip last weekend after an altercation with a van while cycling home from work last Friday. This resulted in my head going through the rear window and although I suffered virtually no injuries or bruising as such, the glass sliced my top lip in two. 6 hours in A & E including 2 hours of internal and external facial stitching is not recomended!

Thanks to Dave and Cliff for their company and its a shame we couldnt find anywhere for a (late) breakfast. Bacon sandwiches on me next time.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great story Andrew and well done on the Bass :p

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nice fish. Enjoyed the read, at least you didn't go head first into a parked cow!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Nice one Andrew. What hook size do you go for with the Giant Xlayers? I mainly use standard size Xlayers, but have some giants I intend on using

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice one Andrew. What hook size do you go for with the Giant Xlayers? I mainly use standard size Xlayers, but have some giants I intend on using
Hi Mark, I favour the giant Xlayers but I am always happy to use the standard ones. The jigheads I like are the Owner Sled heads that have a 2/0 hook in 5 gms or above for the Giant Xlayer and as you know, we are spoilt for choice in the lighter weights that suit the standard ones.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Andrew,
Really good to fish with you yesterday, and great to see your over the worst of your punch up with a van!!!
Those X Slayer's definately seem to be working well for you at the moment.
Well done on the bass, I will have to try harder next time!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts