The Lure Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone any experience with it seems to ultra thin 20lb is .06mm how dose that add up to you guys or is this another power pro strenght to diametre rating disaster...

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have seen these measurements before and thought that it couldnt be right. Would be good to have someone do some independant measures.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seems to good to be true alright Mark

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
An independent test would be great. Even the top japanese braids wouldn't even come in at half that breaking strain in that diameter.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm not to sure on all the exact specs but I have been using the whiplash crystal in 30lb all of last season and although thin (stated 0.10) it is not half as thin as my daiwa tournament 8 30lb (stated 0.16)
Although thin in comparison from what I used to use I don't think everything is right in regards to the diameter.
Haven't done any proper tests on it so can't give any specifics but it definitely isn't as thin as the new 8 braids.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At .06mm its half the thickness of power shot 20lb @.013 and quarter of power pro 20lb @.23...there must be a catch it must cast like a hand bag or something or else we would all be using it,I spoke to some one the other day who put me on to it he uses it on multiplyers boat fishing cant speak highly enough of it....

·
Registered
554 Posts
It casts brilliantly mate, just don't think its as thin as they say.. anyone own a micrometer? will get down the tackle shop and get them to measure the diameter at some point this week..

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It casts brilliantly mate, just don't think its as thin as they say.. anyone own a micrometer? will get down the tackle shop and get them to measure the diameter at some point this week..
Sound very interested to see how the results turn out....
80lb at .24mm also interests me for Norway this summer

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use the ordinary green whiplash and whiplash crystal in both 20lb and 30lb on the boat to enaable me to fish with a lot less lead. Whilst I haven't specifically tested the breaking strain I've never had any problems with it. I don't tend to use it for casting as it is very limp prefering slightly stiffer (& thicker) Spiderwire Ultra-cast Invisibraid. I've got some Daiwa Tournament 8 strand braid on order at the moment and am interested how it'sgoing to compare.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
It's got to be the way it's measured. If you slap a micrometer on it, the round profile'll flatten and you'll get a very low reading. If you put some tension on the braid it would be 'rounder' and I imagine you'd get a higher reading... I wonder if there is an approved method. I suspect not because there are braids like this which make you think it can't be right. Hmmm....

·
Registered
43 Posts
don't know about crystal braid but used whiplash pro 30lb .10mm for the first time 2 days ago had a fish on after about 1 hour then snap fish and lure gone the line was frayed to bits back to power pro for me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts