The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed to fit in a short session two days ago over a small rocky/ reefy beach north of Polzeath with 4 to 5 ft of surf running.

I found a ledge just inside a large outcrop which meant any surf was breaking onto the outcrop with a relatively small amount of water making it over the outcrop, into a pool stretching out from my feet, making the water fizzy and plenty of water movement.

There was maybe three to four feet of water to fish in between large boulders. During lulls between the sets, as the water was clearing, I was casting in the centre of the beach and guiding the lure back between a series of large rocks, some of which were showing their tops through the surge.

Within 20 minutes I was into the first.... only a small one but he put up a lovely fight tryiing to get him around the rocks and landed. Then ten minutes later I got hit..... Again a good scrap guiding the fish around the rocks. It was only as I got him close it decided to bugger off bending my rod clean in half as it tried diving under rocks at my feet.

When landed a beautiful five and a half pounder, my best of the year! It fell to the lovely Maria Chase BW in holo.

I've found I'm catching fewer fish this time of year but they're definitely bigger.... it's just a struggle to get the right weather....

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nice going mate. Still finding good numbers of smaller fish on the south-coast, hopefully start seeing a few big girls now though.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yesssssssssss! Nice one Del! Nice fish!!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Nice one Dell,

sounds like you worked hard for that one. good to hear bigger fish are showing. It's a bit late this year. Maria Chase BW is still a great lure.

Keep em coming

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nice one mate - what a cracking area you live in - some awesome looking marks. My missus is born and raised in St Minver and every time we go up to visit the mother-in-law I wish I had a rod with me. Next time I'll suffer the b*ll*cking and bring it....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts