The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I went to a local mark this evening (15th) that I haven't really fished in donkeys years. We had mainly gone to hunt for peeler and soft crab for a few hours bait fishing tomorrow.
Anyway, we worked our way right out to the edge of the low water mark so I could flick some lures around in the chop. About 3/4 of an hour after we got there, I wished I had a popper or other dedicated surface lure. There in the rippling, muddy coloured shallows of 12 inches or less were LOADS of bass! Not just schoolies either. There were at least two that must have ran to double figures. We figured that they must be herding and chasing the shrimps and small rockiling that festoon this ground / sloppy mud area. I must have tied 4 or 5 different lures / sp's in an attempt to get a hook up, but none came. It genuinely didn't matter tho. Never in 40 years of having a line in my hands have I ever seen so many bass in one small area. They would occassionally chase up the soft mud in just a couple of inches of water, before turning and thrashing their way back into the "beef broth" coloured sea. This was the sort of stuff I had only ever read about. Not even seen on tv / dvd. The nearest I could equate it to would be something like The Blue Planet. Where the tuna come tearing in around the camera man. Remember though, all this was happening in less than 12 inches of water and had the weather of been settled, it would have been an even more amazing sight as we would have been able to see more of each individual fish, other than the parts of their backs and flanks that broke the surface.

Well, needless to say that by 8am, both of us will be back there after Jack (my son) has fiished his paper round. Probably wont get to see it again, but the possibility of it happening all over again is too much for us to not gamble a couple of hours of our time on.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Brilliant Andy, what a sight that must have been. Keep a note of tide size as I would imagine it will happen on a regular basis when conditions are right.

Good luck

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
That's what going fishing is all about. Nature & wildlife activity at it's best. I bet you learnt a lot.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tide last night was a spring low of 0.06. The tide this morning was 0.63. The area we stood at yesterday was still well and truly underwater. I'l be back there tonight tho as the tide "should" go down to 0.13. Only 5 cm higher than last night.. Mind you, with the chocolate brown water, the bass could well have been there again this morning and we were just completely unable to see them at all.
A much more likely cause to them not showing was the fact that I took my camera along with us this time. Usually guarantees scaring off anything out of the ordinary ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Good luck Andy

I hope you find they are bass and not mullet ;-)

Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts