The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon everyone,

I have been lure fishing this weekend and yesterday was really cold. I started out wearing my palm kayak gloves which on the yak are nice and warm but after 15 minutes my hands were wrecked (must need a layer of water to work/like a wetsuit).

I spent 5 minutes with my hands in my arm pits until they started working again then put on my sealskinz which had been tucked inside my base layer to pre-warm. My hands were OK for 30 minutes then again they were wrecked.

I've searched the forum and people rave about Sealskinz, and yes they are good when I'm on my push bike but fishing they are rubish (too thick and cold). I have tried fingerless wool gloves and fingerless thinsulate.

Is there a thin glove on the market that is warm, and dextrose enough so I can tie knots and change lures, or should I just sell up and move somewhere warmer?

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have been having the same problem Mark. I got some Sealskinz ones, and to be honest they're not much good, as you said too thick. I got some fingerless fleecy ones from Millets, ok until they get damp. I just bought a handwarmer thing that uses little sticks of fuel. I used it the other night at St Caths and it worked brilliantly, but then you have to actually have it in your hands to get the warmth!

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Could try the rapala ones? They are the only ones i have used before, but maybe someone else may know may of some more choices?

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Simms do a range of gloves for fly and lure fisherman.
Thanks for the info on the 'sealskins' gloves,I was going to buy some.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Picked up some HL Octane gloves, has anyone used this type before?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought two pairs gloves from my local co-op and they worked fantastically.

They were warm and tight enough around your hands that you could tie knots. They were not waterproof however but they did dry out very quickly even in the middle of a winter session.

Unfortunately I cannot give you a name because they were just some unbranded Chinese gloves lol

·
Read Only
252 Posts
Ima do some very thin ones with some fingers open. Best ones I've found for actually wearing when lure/fly fishing without losing too much feel. Not the biggest gloves on the market but they do stretch to fit as long as your hands aren't massive bear paws!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
are you serious...

you live in the channel islands and are complaining of the the cold 10 days before midsummers eve,
maybe you should move up to tyneside for a year and harden the feck up :muttley:

they will have you going to watch the footy topless in january before you know it :aarrg:

then when you move back it will be speedos all year round ...............

but seriously......it has been a real awful summer so far and it is a real problem keeping your fingers warm at times...........seems like youve tried most of the available technology and there isnt a perfect solution available yet

·
Registered
26 Posts
My mum knitted me some mittens but the strings kept getting caught in the bale arm..

as a result I bought some of these which are cheap and do the job nicely -https://www.sportfish.co.uk/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/9223/

Haven't told my mum though - wouldn't want to hurt her feelings :wink:

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hey the only time I wore gloves last year Dave was in December with some leaky waders, oh yeah and it was snowing :) chopper can kiss my ass!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Try these, I used them all winter in freezing temeperature and rain, nothing better in my opinion. They have fold over fingers with velcro, for when you need the dexterity.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/170744117350?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y

Previous to them, I just used a pair of neoprene surfing gloves and cut a slit under the index fingertip and thumbs so they can be folded over when neccessary. If you can try on before you buy it would be best, as they need to be tight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts