The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having a problem recently....when getting snagged with Sp's either the weight or hook getting snagged the fluoro leader always breaks before the knot so i lose everything i have heard people talking about bending hooks out to get free but my knots break before it comes free this is frustrating to say the least :evil::evil: i use 20lb PP braid and either 6kg berkley vanish fluoro or 14kg tubertini gorilla fluoro.....any tips on what is the best knot and also if either of these fluoros might be the reason.....maybe the braid is cutting through the leader?? Help :cry:

·
Registered
323 Posts
let me get this right the line (braid) is breaking at the knot that joins the braid to your fluro or the knot breaks at the hook /lure ? if the line is breaking just above the hook /lure youse more saliva on line to pull tight friction can weaken line greatley-braid to leader sounds like your knot is not sitting flat braid sits on fluro and cuts . barbed hooks on limpets -barnicels yousely buggerd barbless will help release those lures a little bit of patcience and ive saved a few lures
youse a lefty's knot to attach l/heads and lures -double uni for line /line

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would firstly use a better fluro. I am not sure about the Tubertini stuff and would not go near the berkely. For knots - I use a Uni or grinner knot for the leader to clip then a albright for the fluro to braid. I use 20lb fluro and 30lb braid (as i hate losing lures) and can often pull hooks straight. Another way of getting lures free is to try from different angles e.g move 30 yrds to the right/left and have a pull.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I would reconmend the Triple Fish Fluro, my local tackle shop stocks it, Used it all last season-tough and great knot strength. I use 15-25lb test.
Double Uni knot to connect it to the braid-stronger and neater than an Albright (catches less weed!!) and to tie the clip on use a palomar knot-very close to 100% knot strength.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I use the Uni knot for almost everything is all types of fishing and I have total confidence in it. The only adjustment I make for braid to fluoro is around 7 tucks of the braid as opposed to the ussual 4 for the fluoro.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would reconmend the Triple Fish Fluro, my local tackle shop stocks it, Used it all last season-tough and great knot strength. I use 15-25lb test.
Double Uni knot to connect it to the braid-stronger and neater than an Albright (catches less weed!!) and to tie the clip on use a palomar knot-very close to 100% knot strength.
Dave,

I find that double uni knot is useless when using 8 strand braid - this is because the leader and the braid tighten against each other and can "choke" the braid. I have lost lures this way. I also find the albright less bulky - i ties the braid around the mono. Maybe thus makes a difference.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Ben,
Varivas Max Power which is one of the thinner X8 braids-single strand to 15LB triple (tied carefully) gives a breaking strain at the knot of just over 12lb. Same set up with an Albright gives a breaking strain at the knot of just under 10lb. The fold of the fluro in the Albright always catches more weed than the more streamlined Double Uni. Of the two the Albright is the knot to be careful of, you have to be very careful how you snug it down, as if the pressure is a little off-it can greatly reduce the strength of the knot.

Grab some scales and give it a try, always worth the effort to know what set up gives you the max proformance from your tackle.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Cheers Dave will check it out. I have been using Daiwa 8 and vavarius fluro. I tied a perfect uni to uni and the knot snapped (on the braid side) when my lure got snagged. Then tried the albright and have been badly snagged twice - once the hooks pulled straight the other time the fluro snapped. I also find that the knot is more compact than the uni to uni. Also weed getting caught on a knot is not always a bad thing as it stops it from going on the lure. But whatever works!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Personally I wouldn't touch an Albright again after seeing several (mine and others) fail. If the tag end comes out of the mono loop, no more knot. If the same happens on a uni knot there are still 4-5 turns left!

BTW I have been doubling up my braid for a long time, just to make the knot more even. No other advantage in doing so. And I keep the knot below the rod tip for casting. All individual choices.

Confidence is key!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Hmmm interesting! I use the double uni for braid to flouro as I like the knot for most connections but have just this week got my first spool of 8 strand braid. Given the discussion I will go and test the knot to destruction and see. I have faith in the knot and suspect it wont break much below the fluoro strength (15lb) but knots, whatever the knot, will always be the weakest spot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts