Best mono for lure fishing | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Best mono for lure fishing

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Pollock

Looking for suggestions on mono line for freshwater perch and pike as some waters won't allow braid use
    Thanks for any info

2. Bass

The best mono I ever used was Ultima F1 but never used it for lure fishing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Pollock Supporting Member

Berkely Big Game above 10lb. Berkely XT (same line branded different?) below 10lb, or Daiwa Sensor clear.
    What a shower of a club to ban braid for lures. Is that a carp rule they don't know how to write clearly?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wrasse

Seems there's loads of waters about these days with Carl centric arkward rules. Every time I go down the river I could probably be banned for life. No braid, minimum 17ft trace of 80lb wire etc etc.
    You could look at nanofil as not technically a braid but on the downside it's utterly useless.
    Other options are Fluoro or the monos available for coarse hooklength.
    This stuff for example is very good
    https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/Shop/Coa...0m.htm?a=421&gclid=CKvlxLuau9MCFYoaGwodAjsKRQ
    It's pre stretched so stronger for diameter and also more feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Pollock Supporting Member

Lack of stretch is good on heavy breaking strain braid, but on mono, where the margins are tighter, it can mean line that breaks on the strike. OK for float fishing, where strikes can be more controlled, but with lures? Prestretched is also thinner/less abrasion resistant. Whether you go down that route depends on the type of lure fishing your doing Patrick.
    Drop shotting/snag free ultralight would be fine. Other scenarios, and you'd be safer on stretchy/thicker/tougher traditional mono.

6. Sandeel

I have been using Berkley Trilene XL for years and think it's great stuff. The breaking strain seems to be much higher than stated on the spools. I normally use 8lb for Bass and 4 to 6lb for Sea Trout in clear water.

7. Pollock

Thanks guys for all replies! I certainly will be looking at Berkley line as I use their fluorocarbon leader and love it

8. Bass

Another Berkley fan here. Have used Big Game, XT and XL for years. Also can't fault Diawa Sensor but never seen it in clear...

9. Striper

Toray Bawo Polymide is awesome Pat.

10. Sandeel

Berkley big game, but has to be the green one for me

11. Pike

My back up spools all have Teklon Gold mono.
    Works for me.

12. Perch

Maxzima really strong for its Dia.....

13. Striper

Patrick, try some of the JDM monos or flouros. I prefer flouro to braid on a baitcaster and YGK or Sunline both do good ones. The extra thickness is noticeable but so is the extra smoothness. I used to use Trilene XL, XT and Stren and they are massively underrated in the BS department so go by diameter. All very good and reliable.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Blanker

best I have tried so far is STROFT ABR or LS, and I've tried a lot....