The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After concluding that pike are unwilling to hit topwater baits in bright weather, I now only fish topwaters on cloudy days. On waters I’m familiar with, I rarely blank with such lures and do catch some large fish.

But watching some YouTube vids of bass fishing on the top, I’ve noticed some rather blue skies. I’ve not done much bassing at all, but might well do at some future time, and so I’d like to ask to what extent sunshine affects your decision to put on your Sammys, Gunfish, Patchinkos or whatever.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
We managed a few last year (September) at different locations, all caught between 2- 4 pm in bright sunshine on patchinkos.

Hope this helps

Gary

·
Registered
990 Posts
Location location location is first for me and I spend more time on the surface than any one I know. If the bass have a reason for being there, sunshine makes no difference apart perhaps on the amount you will catch.
I have gone out on really over cast days and can see the bass at my feet and have not caught, but have gone out on a really sunny day and nail 18 off the top in no time.

So my ground that I would choose on a sunny day would be one were there was plenty of movement and if there wasn't that, one were there was plenty of cover, ie kelp, boulders , Reefs, Gullies etc, so that bass can come in and out of cover at will plus weed, boulders, Reefs etc hold smaller fish, bait fish , crabs etc, give the Bass a reason for being there.

I think this is what your after, sorry if I've rattled on to much...lol

·
Registered
431 Posts
I tend to think that time of day is more of a factor in top water lure fishing, Although i have had many fish in bright sunshine on top water, if the fish are there then thats a plus!! all about location my best times are dawn and dusk and 90% of my larger bass taken have been during these times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I've suspected that bass are very different creatures from pike, and these replies suggest I've been right to do so.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Thank you. I've suspected that bass are very different creatures from pike, and these replies suggest I've been right to do so.
Well, actually....

Many a respected angling writer has said Pike won't take lures under the cover of darkness like Muskie do.
That was rubbish too based upon 1 fine blog I read recently.

I don't think it is just the sky but the waters surface too.
Snells window offers predators a mirror effect and, imho, calm sea's, overcast conditions makes it harder for Bass.

I've always done better on overcast days topwater but, with a choppy surface.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Bright sunshine for me, ideally with a calm to slight chop sea.

As for pike not taking lures after dark, no one has told the pike around here. Surface crawllers and Spook type lure have caught some good pike for me in late summer at night.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I suspect the water people are fishing would make a difference. Id imagine most of the people replying to this post fish clear water rock marks with good visibility. In the north west where water usually looks like hot chocolate, the amount of sunlight probably makes little difference, as only a fraction will penetrate the water.

Also as we have such a massive tidal difference, tide is probably as importiant as anything.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
It may not directly affect the predators (Bass), but air pressure could actually play a part in this - it definitely does for freshwater fish. The bass themselves (as opportunists) will probably go wherever they have to on any given day to find their food. However, the bait fish may be more inclinded to alter their distance from the surface in corrolation with the air pressure. If the bait fish are close to the surface, then the bass are highly likely to be more interested in surface baits - if you catch them in numbers anyway. Odd fish wil always be there to prove any theory wrong. Air pressure isn't stable during any given day, so there could well be windows where surface lures will work better than others. I always consider it (although don't take measurements), and think about it even when feathering for mackerel - you know there are some days when they are higher in the water column than others.....? I'm not explaining it very well, but I think it's more than worth looking in to.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I cant suss the buggers out!! Over the years I have had great results (multiple) fish on the surface at all times of the day, dawn, morning, high noon, evening..... If I had to say a favoured condition I suppose it would be calm seas with a big swell and about august, sept, oct time about 7 in the morning or 6 oclock in the evening. But like I say it can be over cast, bright or even raining. The air pressure thing definately makes me think, I have wondered about high and low pressures and if it makes a difference?? I will be monitoring it if I remember this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts