The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone i currently fish with a shimano beastmaster 8-9ft 15-40g 5 piece rod and i like it ,Last season i fished with cheapish lures and did ok not as good as i would of liked but lack of work really cut my trips down.Anyway in the close season i've bought a stradic reel and invested in some top end plugs ,What i would like to know is will my rod be up to working the plugs or should i look at upgrading.Basically i can't afford tenryu money so is my rod up to the job or if not any suggestions? Thanks for your input guys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Keith, a friend of mine has a beastmaster, maybe not the high-end stuff, but for sure value for money. Nothing wrong with your rod if you ask me, there will always be sufficient time to upgrade to something else in the future.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers corne hoping to get to one of the welsh meets this year so maybe one of the kind gents on here will let me have a quick go of something more upmarket.I would like to see what you get for your money if you know what i mean.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hi Keith

You've got a cracking little rod there, especially for the shallow diving plugs. The Tenryus pretty much come into their own for the surface plugs but what you've already got is ideal for everything else and will still cope fine ontop. For what it's worth I think you've done the right thing by investing in a good reel first, I don't think you need to upgrade your rod if you don't feel you have to.

I have the 4 piece Beastmaster STC Bass which I can sneak in the car without the missus noticing...

Are you coming to the Welsh Bumble in April?

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's the indian not the arrows! Are you allowed to say that?

I'm positive that any increased success with more expensive gear is marginal and the real benefit is in user pleasure. You don't need expensive gear to fish well and are probably better starting with cheaper gear because it will teach you to focus more on technique. Then once you do step up to the higher end stuff you already have a really solid foundation of skills and water craft to put into action.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
You don't need expensive gear to fish well and are probably better starting with cheaper gear because it will teach you to focus more on technique.
I'm going to 90% agree with that.

Not so long ago, i would have probably totally agreed but...

If I have found anything out these past months, this is it..

Doing this light jigging/spinning/fluttering etc with cheap rods has so far..., and I say so far, been nowhere near as functional as the better rods.

I'm sure design, carbon content etc all has a part to play but the guys with the better, or right gear, simply catch more fish.

Ok, gear in my view covers everything, not just rods. The better rods transmit 'feel' way better. So far, my experience suggests this to be true.
However, better, doesn't always mean more expensive. It often does, just not always thankfully.

PE braids are making a vast difference to the fishing and again, unlike mono, the lighter you go, the more expensive it becomes.
£150 a spool for 8 strand PE 0.3 anyone ! that is for a 100 meter spool. Sound nuts ?

Maybe, but, in a match with a guy using it, and you aren't, chances are, over time, he'll stuff you outta site.

The point i'm making is, to learn technique, some techniques at least, without the right gear, you are likely to struggle.

Like I said though, outside of specific area's, I do agree with what you have written.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just going to flesh out my point a little as well :)

When starting out i reckon you should pick a couple of techniques that your kit is suitable for and learn to master them to the best of your abilities. So long as those techniques cover the water column that you're fishing you should catch. Just need to have lures with varying actions that fish various depths. If you fish those to a stage where you feel you have mastered them then move on.

This will allow you to make your own decisions as to what kit to buy that will maximise your efficiency rather than asking for advice on what suits other people. Moving too quickly to premium gear means you can make mistakes in choice. i've done this several times and have the near unused rods to prove it. It also means that when you do upgrade your appreciation of that gear is total.

Better to be master of a few techniques than to have all the gear but not know how to best utilise it.

Having said that its VERY true that nothing kills your results and pleasure more than having to use gear that is totally innapropriate for what you are trying to do.

·
Registered
239 Posts
PS also not saying don't purchase high end kit, just pause to smell the roses along the way.

I have a severe tackle addiction that I need to feed regularly.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Just going to flesh out my point a little as well :)

When starting out i reckon you should pick a couple of techniques that your kit is suitable for and learn to master them to the best of your abilities. So long as those techniques cover the water column that you're fishing you should catch. Just need to have lures with varying actions that fish various depths. If you fish those to a stage where you feel you have mastered them then move on.

Having said that its VERY true that nothing kills your results and pleasure more than having to use gear that is totally innapropriate for what you are trying to do.
Now there is where we totally agree.
Well said.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input guys very informative as always .I am happy with my rod but was unsure wether i was doing my reel and plugs an injustice by using it but from your comments it would seem not . I am no where near experienced enough to have masterd any techniques so i'm the weak link in the setup more so than any of my kit ,the point dave makes about totally getting to grips with what you have allowing to fully appreciate it when you do upgrade makes alot of sense to me.The thing is i'm not a tackle tart but where i fish its a 260 mile round trip for me so i like to think i'm giving myself the best chance of catching that i can be it getting up that little bit earlier to make first light down to my equipment having read what you have said i feel quite conffident that my rod is up to the job .Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Keith

You've got a cracking little rod there, especially for the shallow diving plugs. The Tenryus pretty much come into their own for the surface plugs but what you've already got is ideal for everything else and will still cope fine ontop. For what it's worth I think you've done the right thing by investing in a good reel first, I don't think you need to upgrade your rod if you don't feel you have to.

I have the 4 piece Beastmaster STC Bass which I can sneak in the car without the missus noticing...

Are you coming to the Welsh Bumble in April?
Yes Rob gonna try and get down i'm a self taught plugger you see all my mates are bait fisherman so to mix with you more experienced guys would be great not only for the laugh but would be nice to observe and see if i can learn a few things.

·
Registered
239 Posts
There's no substitute for time on the water!!!

I wish I had more time to do this. Observing and fishing in different conditions, times, seasons and water coloration is the most valuable asset anyone can have :)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi Keith,
Got one of them rods myself but the supposed "worse" version the exage stc 10-11 foot.
OK I dont use that rod all time but when I have, its done all I have asked of it - Minnow, Surface, Soft plastics.
My 4000 stradic is about to get its strip down and regrease in preparation for its 6th season - rough but still adequate.
I'd swap your set up for mine any day - yours is perfectly adequate to put you in contact with whatever swims in front of you.
There is a nice old saying about flyfishing - a good caster with a bad rod will outfish a bad caster with a good rod. It aint about casting here and your Beastmaster is a million miles away from being a bad rod, but in purely angling terms thats what you could keep reminding yourself when the going gets tough. (far more likely due to lack of fish rather than shortcomings in your equipment).
Theres another saying - you wont miss what you never had. I have been fishing for bass with lures for a good while and by sticking to this little gem have been saving loads of money in the process. Not having to adapt your technique to make up for the shortcomings of your tackle puts you on the front foot from the off, just get out there and fish, much better to put fuel in the car to give you more sessions on the bass than spend it on gear that wont catch you many more bass when you are there.

I wish you the best of luck!
:)

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I'm in a similar situation to you Keith O, whereby i have a long trip to my marks, therefore i try to do everything i can to maximise my chances - and that emcompasses everything from picking times of day, location, reading weather forecasts, etc. . . . as for gear, i have upgraded my kit based on affordability, and based on progress. That is, when i feel that i have made progress, and underdstand what i may want next, then i've rewarded myself with an upgrade. Maybe a little daft, but it works for me.

When i started off, i spent quite a bit on lures. As i see it, it's the same as bait fishing - your bait is the most important aspect, so why would your lures be any different ?

When i upgraded my rod last year from my Hiro Bass Fighter to my Shukan, the difference in feel was completely evident, and i was at a stage in my plugging where the improvement in feel allowed me to progress a little more. I caught fish on the Hiro, but the Shukan gave me maybe 15% more feel (subjective, i know).

I personally don't think that the reel is as important as the rod. Most reels will cope with what we do (as long as they are looked after, and as long as we are realistic about life expectancy versus build-quality). The lure is the only bit the fish will see until he's at your feet, and the rod is the bit that provides the lure action.

There is certainly no need to feel under-gunned because your rod isnt red though. There are some belting rods out there that will serve you well. From the Mike Ladle branded rods, through the Bushwhackers, Teklons, Shukans, Hiro's, etc . . . you will not waste your money. I've not used a Beastmaster, but it won't be crap. I think that your idea around meeting up with some other guys and trying different rods is the perfect plan. If you do make it down to Wales, between us all we've got a bit of everything, and you will be very welcome to try the different rods, and make your mind up as to whether you'll get any benefit or not. At the Bumble at the end of April, there will be superb rods ranging from £40 to £400, and every one of the rods will be wielded by a grinning angler who will be very happy with their kit (albeit they may be plotting & scheming their next purchase ;) ).

Try and make it down - the most important bit will be the fact that we'll be having a laugh & learning from each other.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'm in a similar situation to you Keith O, whereby i have a long trip to my marks, therefore i try to do everything i can to maximise my chances - and that emcompasses everything from picking times of day, location, reading weather forecasts, etc. . . . as for gear, i have upgraded my kit based on affordability, and based on progress. That is, when i feel that i have made progress, and underdstand what i may want next, then i've rewarded myself with an upgrade. Maybe a little daft, but it works for me.

When i started off, i spent quite a bit on lures. As i see it, it's the same as bait fishing - your bait is the most important aspect, so why would your lures be any different ?

When i upgraded my rod last year from my Hiro Bass Fighter to my Shukan, the difference in feel was completely evident, and i was at a stage in my plugging where the improvement in feel allowed me to progress a little more. I caught fish on the Hiro, but the Shukan gave me maybe 15% more feel (subjective, i know).

I personally don't think that the reel is as important as the rod. Most reels will cope with what we do (as long as they are looked after, and as long as we are realistic about life expectancy versus build-quality). The lure is the only bit the fish will see until he's at your feet, and the rod is the bit that provides the lure action.

There is certainly no need to feel under-gunned because your rod isnt red though. There are some belting rods out there that will serve you well. From the Mike Ladle branded rods, through the Bushwhackers, Teklons, Shukans, Hiro's, etc . . . you will not waste your money. I've not used a Beastmaster, but it won't be crap. I think that your idea around meeting up with some other guys and trying different rods is the perfect plan. If you do make it down to Wales, between us all we've got a bit of everything, and you will be very welcome to try the different rods, and make your mind up as to whether you'll get any benefit or not. At the Bumble at the end of April, there will be superb rods ranging from £40 to £400, and every one of the rods will be wielded by a grinning angler who will be very happy with their kit (albeit they may be plotting & scheming their next purchase ;) ).

Try and make it down - the most important bit will be the fact that we'll be having a laugh & learning from each other.
Good Post Si.
I'd disagree only slightly in saying its actually the angler that imparts the action into the lure...via the rod.
I followed roughly the same course as you, and "peaked" with custom-made bait and lure rods. Using these I knew I had no excuses in the tackle department, but it was only after owning and using these did I realise they never reeeeeeealy put more fish on the beach. Just made the experience more "fulfilling" shall we say. I am hearing of an increasing amount of experienced pluggers who are getting large helpings of "fullfillment" by resorting to more "retro" equipment for their bassing, but with modern lures and lines, and I feel there is a lot to be said for this.
I am not knocking anyone who is so into this they willingly spend £1000's on rods reels lures, good luck to them, we are all different. It's all about mindset, and if that makes people feel happier and more-so fish better then thats a good thing.
My custom bait rod is a virtual ornament at the moment (a cherished one at that) and my plugger is looking a bit worse for wear, but thanks to all you guys who continue to contribute to help increase the awareness, supply and demand of the new generation pluggers, when the time comes to replace mine, I will stand a better chance of knowing what to go for...infact I am indulging myself with some "advanced browsing" already!
Si - I watched a mint Shukan go thru ebay this week for £80something. A good deal for someone I bet, but I'd never part with that kinda money without trying one out first.

Looking forward to seeing a few of these new rods in action over the coming months to see what all the fuss is about!
;-)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ian, I fish with relatively affordable tackle and have had a chuck with Simon's Shukan and more recent upgrades. There is a noticeable difference in feel and quality with these rods and they were light as a feather. Right now, I don't have the budget for the upgrade so as you say, I focus on fuel in the car. They won't put more fish on the beach, but I do think they are perhaps more enjoyable to fish with. I have gone from an Ugly Stik spinning rod which I caught plenty of bass on and never let me down, to a 2nd hand (but mint - when I got it anyhow!) Quantum Energy Bass which has also caught me plenty of fish but is so different to the Ugly Stik. Lots of good points on this thead and nice to see a positive outlook on the perennial argument about how much to spend on kit! My lad fishes with the Bushwacker rods (he has the 7' and 8'6") and regularly outcatches me and I think they are cracking for the money and if he has an accident with them, it isn't a disaster to replace them.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's nice and refreshing to hear such a ballanced array of opinions it has been most helpful like i've said i'm happy to stick with what i've got and master it but i would like to meet up in wales and see what the more expensive kit is all about .Just had a conversation with a mate of mine who has used a tenryu and he said to him it felt like a toy and although he appreciated that it probably was the dogs in what its for but struggled to see value for money,Now he's not an out and out plugger but has no problems splashing the cash on kit( should see some of his beach casters) which sort of reiterates what was said about fully appreciating your upgrade by getting the utmost from the kit you already have ,i would hate to spend a few hundred quid on a rod and be dissapointed in it because of my own shortcomings not the rods .Thanks guys.

·
Registered
519 Posts
from my point of view, it all depends on what YOU need from a rod, if you go ripping lipless/crankbaits from the tops of weeds or you want to rip large suspending baits down to depth a soft noodle stick ain't going to get the job done very well, but a stiff 7" stick will, now chances are the same rod won't feel a slowly falling 2-3gram jig getting picked up on the drop,but a softer rod with do for plastics, hard baits, metal, when just casting and retreiving etc, sorry to say no rod will do everything, so decide on the type of fishing you like to do and go from there.

kev

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Think a little closer to home than Angelsey Keith....

"Paul Potter, fishing at Fleetwoods Sea Cadet Base landed this 15lb 11oz specimen bass. This specimen beat the existing area record by 3lb 8oz"

Sourced from Beach-Caster.com

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts