The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
A super fish to take off the top for sure. Still saddens me to see double figure bass killed for trophy shots though. I keep a few fish myself for the table, but if/when I am lucky enough to catch something on that scale, I wouldn't dream of keeping it. A few photos then back in the water. Thanks for sharing though, Hywel. Gives me hope for this weekend after the disappointing results last weekend!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I feel the same about trophy kills. It gives me hope of catching fish in this neck of the woods the water isn't very clear around Porthcawl.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
A super fish to take off the top for sure. Still saddens me to see double figure bass killed for trophy shots though. I keep a few fish myself for the table, but if/when I am lucky enough to catch something on that scale, I wouldn't dream of keeping it. A few photos then back in the water. Thanks for sharing though, Hywel. Gives me hope for this weekend after the disappointing results last weekend!
Couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I totaly agree too, a fantastic fish and a very old one at that, but i think there still alot of people out there, who fish for these beautiful bass and not understand that these fish dont spawn until they are fully grown adults!
This day and age, you have all these great pixel cameras that can take excellent quality pics, i see no reason to keep trophy fish!
The gent who caught this fish is an Experienced Carp Angler as the report writes, I am also a carp angler in the winter and the care you give the fish after you have caught it is superb.
so i am very shocked that he kept it, as many carp anglers care and respect the fish they have caught.
Perhaps in the excitement of the catch, he was not thinking so much about the welfare of the fish.
I also have been guilty in the past of keeping fish that i should of returned.:|

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
3rded - it should have gone back ...

·
Registered
779 Posts
May I suggest we all go down his carp lake for a spot of catch & bash..................

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Ahhhh, you see this thing all the time. There are a vast number of people out there Sea Fishing, and plenty of them are not targetting Bass, nor do they have much knowledge about them (i know practically nothing about Ray's, Carp, etc . . . as i dont target them). So, one day, they catch a bonus Bass . . happy days.

I started Bass fishing in the first place because i wanted to catch Bass for the table. Now i very very rarely take a fish for the table. Ultimately it's the angers choice. I dont think there's any need to pontificate too much on this one anglers decision. It's a horrible pic - but how many of us have one? I have a horrible kitchen picture from last year. 7lb 1oz Bass. In reality it was a nightmare, and probably a crucial stepping stone to being far more conservation minded now.

A big Bass is not an easy meal to prepare for your average person. You cant fit it in the oven, and if others have my filletting skills, then that's a daunting prospect too. When i do keep a fish for the table these days, it's a 3 - 5lb fish, that will be eaten 'that day'. But if i take more than about 4 fish this year, i'll be amazed. I dont take a priest or a bag with me these days, it's just not in my thought process.

I would be very happy to see Bass become a 'sport' fish. There's probably a good way to go yet, but maybe one day? But for now, we just need to set a good example, and take a sensible view on it. If that angler joined our forum tomorrow, we wouldnt want to look like a bunch of preachy jobsworths - but hopefully we could educate him to carry a camera & scales, and to understand that the fish was probably as old as him, and perhaps his next one might get a lucky break.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Ahhhh, you see this thing all the time. There are a vast number of people out there Sea Fishing, and plenty of them are not targetting Bass, nor do they have much knowledge about them (i know practically nothing about Ray's, Carp, etc . . . as i dont target them). So, one day, they catch a bonus Bass . . happy days.

I started Bass fishing in the first place because i wanted to catch Bass for the table. Now i very very rarely take a fish for the table. Ultimately it's the angers choice. I dont think there's any need to pontificate too much on this one anglers decision. It's a horrible pic - but how many of us have one? I have a horrible kitchen picture from last year. 7lb 1oz Bass. In reality it was a nightmare, and probably a crucial stepping stone to being far more conservation minded now.

A big Bass is not an easy meal to prepare for your average person. You cant fit it in the oven, and if others have my filletting skills, then that's a daunting prospect too. When i do keep a fish for the table these days, it's a 3 - 5lb fish, that will be eaten 'that day'. But if i take more than about 4 fish this year, i'll be amazed. I dont take a priest or a bag with me these days, it's just not in my thought process.

I would be very happy to see Bass become a 'sport' fish. There's probably a good way to go yet, but maybe one day? But for now, we just need to set a good example, and take a sensible view on it. If that angler joined our forum tomorrow, we wouldnt want to look like a bunch of preachy jobsworths - but hopefully we could educate him to carry a camera & scales, and to understand that the fish was probably as old as him, and perhaps his next one might get a lucky break.
Well put Mr Lewis.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Got to agree with everything being said especially what Si has said but the guy is entitled to do this as most if not all of us have done ourselves. We shouldn't be seen to criticise or decry this practise just because we choose to put our fish back alive. Best we are just happy that the small part we play in returning fish will make a difference to the future numbers and size of fish we will be able to catch.

Just remember there are those waiting on the side line who think fishing just for sport is unjustifiable and will act to stop us all if we are not united as anglers. We need the right laws in place to allow us as anglers to make our own free choice as to whether we put the fish back or not and that is what we have...sad or not.

Reactions: Jeremy Hayden

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Some good views' so far.

Personaly.....if he doesn't kill Carp, why kill the Bass? There's a load down this way who Kill and sell all the Bass that are unfortunate enough to come their way......and I mean ALL the Bass. Me, I am odd' enough to be happy with a photo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There'd be no point in me joining you on current form; I'd struggle to catch my knackers on a barbed wire fence, at present.
Another blank, today :(
Still, a crap days fishing beats a good days work...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
All true and valid points so far and a very sane and balanced discussion it has been, which reflects well on our capability to share our opinions. I concede of course it is the anglers choice and he is perfectly entitled to keep the fish. Me, I prefer a 3-5lb fish for the table on occasion. Si, I take your point about untargetted bass captures but I think the article suggests it was a deliberate and targetted bass on the lure. I am not asking anyone to share my opinion, but I think these old fish deserve to go back.

On a separate note, whilst I am delighted to see Henry has managed to encourage Sea Angler to publish a bass section and that our own Keith White has an article, I do think the photo section could be improved. The pics of double figure bass in people's kitchens will not encourage C&R - we need to set a better example if we can? How about we send them some of the terrific photos we see on the regular catch reports here of lure caught bass that are returned after their photo opportunity? I will be emailing (with Ben's permission) the recent photo of his PB caught in West Wales on a Slug-Go. I know Si's 9lber and Andy Marquis' 9lber would make great copy!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Just to pick on a point that Alan raised about selling Bass. Is that legal? Excuse my ignorance never having done it or wanted to. Maybe if it isn't illegal it should be! If it is then is anyone reporting them...

Tim,
Looks like the Bass section of Sea Angler could turn out to be some thing special by the looks of it. My lads business is part sponsor of that section to so have a vested interest...ahem ;-)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hi Trev,

The answer to your question is basically, "It Depends"........there's something called the "Buyers and Sellers" laws that attempts to put a halt to the "Black Fish Market"......As far as the Angler is concerned.....if the catch was boat caught (private or commercial charter) and he sells it....that's illegal.....If it's shore caught then DEFRA says that the B&S does not apply.

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Articles/Buyers_And_Sellers_Legislation.html

Morally however, many conservation minded anglers tend to view these folks ( Catch, kill and sell all) as little more than unlicensed commercials.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Can't disagree with that Alan. I would have thought the actions of these people would give good reason to tighten the law without effecting the rights of the other more conservation minded anglers.

Sounds like a resolution to put to the Angling Trust to me......;-)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Lads,
A very interesting thread. I'm over in Dublin and it is noticeable when you go down to Wexford, Waterford, Cork etc that when you bump into anglers and people generally along the shoreline that most people are aware of the 2 bass limit over here and most people respect it. It's a refreshing attitude to come across because it stops whole sale bagging up and also conditions people to catch and release. If you could have something like that on your side of the pond you'd be set fair.
Colm

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think also bigger fish dont taste as good as smaller fish.....i have eaten one bass ever and will not ever eat one again they are nice to eat but seeing it swim off is half the pleasure of this lark......:)

·
Registered
769 Posts
On a separate note, whilst I am delighted to see Henry has managed to encourage Sea Angler to publish a bass section and that our own Keith White has an article, I do think the photo section could be improved. The pics of double figure bass in people's kitchens will not encourage C&R - we need to set a better example if we can? How about we send them some of the terrific photos we see on the regular catch reports here of lure caught bass that are returned after their photo opportunity?
Tim

The authors contributing to the B.A.S.S. column in the bass section of Sea Angler are trying (amongst other things) to get the message over about C & R. Its a fine balancing act as preaching is felt to reinforce the wholy false belief BASS is a compulsory C & R organisation. As one of the authors of the above articles I was already contemplating say something about photos of dead bass and how old they are - your post Tim might have nudged me further towards doing this. It might be tricky to get past the editors of the mag though!

For those who mentioned they would like bag limits (myself included), there are some vocal individuals out there who see themselves as the (self appointed) angling representatives of the people and seem to be totally opposed to any talk of bag limits. Their stance and ability to court publicity will make it much harder to get such changes implemented.

Matt

·
Registered
431 Posts
Great fish even greater alive. Why kill it??? Part of the pleasure i get from catching bass, is releasing it unharmed. We have to work together to educate other sea anglers, to release fish, but could be knocking your head against a brick wall.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts