The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Out of Port Erin, Sunday 6th June on the boat, the tide was dropping, sea state was good. I'd wanted to take my mate out, he comes over for TT week every year and haven't had chance before. It's been a long, hard, fantastic week of racing and beer and i haven't had chance to post this report yet

We went out to the Sker, a big semi-submerged rock at the bottom of Bradda Head. About a minutes cruise away. An underwater reef is the home to a lot of Callig, usually a lot of small fellas and the odd ballan...

I've been really itching to try for a big callig on the Firefly (2.5 Exage/8lb Powerpro) so I stuck a 4' Ayu Xlayer on a 6g football jighead and flicked it over the side. 15 seconds later....

Callig.jpg

A good 4.5lb Callig. A fantastic scrap which really had the rod bending. 5 minutes of playing, drag screaming. I'd whipped the lure out before I'd thought about a pic and I wasn't going to put it back in for the photo.I took a few other pics but the camera then spat the card - I forgot to formatt the new 4gb I'd put in, so only the one pic from the phone.

We carried on for a couple of hours and pulled 20 or so more out between the 3 of us and totally against the usual form, the smallest was the first one above! The best was about a 7lb-er to my mates frozen sandeel. I was bust off by something similar on the Firefly when it went to ground in the kelp. All in all, an excellent trip out, all for less than a gallon of fuel!

Attachments

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Nice one Tim

I cannot believe that the budget Firefly rod can handle such hard fighting good sized fish as you are catching.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report Tim, well done :-D

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Blimey, Tim - that's a good fish on such a light rod (I'm yet to christen mine...). Sounds like a good day out....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts