The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who have been catching wrasse and those who have seen the video of the release of Master Lewis's fish, will have noticed that many wrasse seem to take a few seconds to get their bearings before heading for the bottom.

Now this may be a swim bladder issue for some fish, but even those taken in shallow water suffer this "wobble".

I had wondered whether it could be a question of balance, with the fishes antics before it is landed as well as the handling it gets ashore, contributing to a loss of balance. Basically an inner ear issue if theirs are built like ours?

Then I was reminded hearing that wrasse are successive hermaphrodites, born as females then changing when the opportunity arises into a dominant male to guard a large harem of females.

That settles it for me in terms of bigger fish. The poor sods must be half deaf before we catch them!?

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Those of you who have been catching wrasse and those who have seen the video of the release of Master Lewis's fish, will have noticed that many wrasse seem to take a few seconds to get their bearings before heading for the bottom.

Now this may be a swim bladder issue for some fish, but even those taken in shallow water suffer this "wobble".

I had wondered whether it could be a question of balance, with the fishes antics before it is landed as well as the handling it gets ashore, contributing to a loss of balance. Basically an inner ear issue if theirs are built like ours?

Then I was reminded hearing that wrasse are successive hermaphrodites, born as females then changing when the opportunity arises into a dominant male to guard a large harem of females.

That settles it for me in terms of bigger fish. The poor sods must be half deaf before we catch them!?
Its the best explanation I have heard, nice thinking Paul.

·
2,560 Posts
The roll over before and after capture is quite noticable. Paul thanks for the question and answer in one, maybe there is some explanation out there??

·
2,560 Posts
Paul, I have done a little research and come up with three possibilities:

1.) Stress.
2.) Resting.
3.) Swallowing of air, and unable to release it.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have noticed it a lot. Sometimes they will also just lie motionless on their side for 10 seconds before swimming off perfectly.

On a seperate note, has anyone been out HRFing purely for the Wrasse in the last week or so? I am just wondering how long we can expect to go out and catch them for (in decent numbers).

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the one Mark.

I'll be trying over this weekend, all being well.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
We can get em all year. Already been proven. Winter might see numbers fall but overall size seems worth suffering the cold for.
Check out the C.I catch reports from last Jan - Mar

Some 6's caught.

Triggerfish display stupid behaviour on release, often lying on their sides.
Is it a dumb play dead response ?
Inner ear response ?

Stress ? Of course, stress HAS to be an issue. However, de-barb, single hooks and careful playing...
Not lost a fish yet that I've seen. Of course, we don't see the aftermath when they have been released.

Fish mortality is something we must accept is a real issue and, the only way around it is to NOT FISH AT ALL.

I'm happier personally with the measures we have taken regards C&R fishing and de-barbing. It has to make a difference.

Nothing I can do about nagging females though.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Triggers will go on their side when cornered too. Either underwater or at the surface. I have caught quite a few by hand whilst low water fishing. That is when I worked out that they bite LOL. Seriously, watch those teeth. I may well be trying the pollack gutter tomorrow Keith.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Triggers will go on their side when cornered too. Either underwater or at the surface. I have caught quite a few by hand whilst low water fishing. That is when I worked out that they bite LOL. Seriously, watch those teeth. I may well be trying the pollack gutter tomorrow Keith.
Yea, do it Paul.

This time last season was hot, hot, hot out there.
I might do the black op's run sunday night if I can get a wingman. Not a lone star trip that one.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll be walking it in daylight. The only fins I can cope with are on the fish.

Three magic words for you "Pots are gone". I watched them being brought in last week. Plus most potters move out on a spring anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts