1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
26Ib River Thames pike :jump::jump:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Danny, Can't say whats coming out out on lures from up this way as haven't been out on the levels for quite some time, but can confirm that a very high twenty came from local Res (not trout) last winter to a sea/carp angler on bluey! Only four or five junctions up the Mway from you, so could be a good chance for a possible not trout thirty at the back end for you! (Sorry, there isn't a close season now, maybe even better?)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
It was caught in the last week of the season.

On the penultimate day of the season in the following year I had three twenties to 25.9Ib fishing deadbaits on the same stretch of river

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Danny, Can't say whats coming out out on lures from up this way as haven't been out on the levels for quite some time, but can confirm that a very high twenty came from local Res (not trout) last winter to a sea/carp angler on bluey! Only four or five junctions up the Mway from you, so could be a good chance for a possible not trout thirty at the back end for you! (Sorry, there isn't a close season now, maybe even better?)
We have a fair few venues around here with loads of 25lb+ pike in. and iv had two 30plus wildies already role on the time of year my venues turn on. gotta love river pike so be good to see more lumps from rivers and canal's

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's some incredible results for down in deepest darkest devon Danny, My own results from sommerset drains and rivers from quite a few years back are far more modest, lots of jacks, and rapidly decreasing numbers of doubles to upper doubles, with the occasional twenty (not to my rod though!). My almost exclusive use of lures didn't seem to help, although I'd catch as many or more than my baitsoaking mates they would often get the better fish , mostly to deads, lives (even big ones) never seem ed that selective.
Do the waters you fish have lower stock densities? My local ones have quite high numbers of pike,( no make that very high numbers) due to excellent spawning conditions and high fry survival (shallow n weedy). Maybe it's down to skill/dedication? Your/Anyones advice welcome!
PS. Maybe new thread "What makes a good BIG Pike water" ?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Iv had wild 20lb fish to 23 from the small kKennet and its side streams!! great fishing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Joe, but is there a lot of pike (high biomass) on the Kennet and its feeders? If we are looking for waters that hold fishable numbers of 20+,ers (not just the odd one in known hotspots) are there any common denominators, ie, lots of silly trout or poor fry survival as on Llangdedfed (spelling?) due to rapidly dropping levels and limited spawning areas, leading to relatively low pike numbers but very high average size? Sorry if I'm taking this off topic!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Joe, but is there a lot of pike (high biomass) on the Kennet and its feeders? If we are looking for waters that hold fishable numbers of 20+,ers (not just the odd one in known hotspots) are there any common denominators, ie, lots of silly trout or poor fry survival as on Llangdedfed (spelling?) due to rapidly dropping levels and limited spawning areas, leading to relatively low pike numbers but very high average size? Sorry if I'm taking this off topic!
there is 3 venues i know that have more than average in twenty plus pike you just gotta know where to fish. some of the venues i fish allot are stacked with 15lb plus fish but are over looked by the pred man due to "oh thats a crap venue" attitude.
one venue being stones throw from Taunton mate :) in my eyes over the 22years iv lure fished i find the venues where pike are left to there own devices will produce if water life is good enough. problem being the Fasion is to follow whats "cool" in the angling world. just get out and try, think outside the box! works for us and we catch tons of decent fish. ill post some pictures tomorrow

·
Registered
129 Posts
There are barely any trout in the area I fish, and 20 pound pike are very rare, and a double is something special. As the river is always flowing and the main food source is roach it takes a long time for a pike to grow to a reasonable size. Most of the pike in the river probably average around 5-7lb, so like I said we consider a double a very good fish.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That makes your 23 a very special fish Joe, and your tagline/end quote all the more apt. Well done to you!
I've had a quick flick of Dannys blog, and quite frankly I'm blown away by his successes, two cannal thirties on lures from the sunny southwest is quite exceptional, that is some angling! . . . . . So, I've made the decision to recitify my results from 15 years ago and make this the season when I catch a Somerset river or drain twenty!. . . . . There it's in print(ish) . . no going back on it now. Went out and got my Licence and Bridgwater ticket on Sat + a couple of swim and jerk herrings and had a good look at the Sedgey drain but brown water put me off (algae die off?) Today I've finally got round to ordering some 6'' Big Hammer shads from AGM, Now for a new lure rod, . . say about 7.5 to 8 foot, casting 1 to 3ish . . . . a Dave Lumb Raider ? . .but in FS build . . .Hmmm. .

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I had a 23lb pike from the River Arun many years ago on a Rapala J13P, Abu Diplomat 662 and ABU 521 reel. The tackle will give you some idea of how long ago it was!!! (And I still have the rod and reel). About ten years before digital cameras too!!!! Will have to get the scanner out...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts