The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Birthday Bash at Bosh with 2 PB's

Well I secured the day off for Friday as it was my 49th Birthday and decided I was going to spend the day fishing for Pike, I had made arrangements with Marc Westward to accompany me, I picked him up and we made our way to Bosherston, we talked bolloxs during the journey and after picking up a coffee on the way we arrived fresh and full of anticipation. While setting up our gear I wished Marc good luck, we exchanged handshakes and I said we were both going to get doubles today :wink: We were not to be disappointed :-D

After trying a couple of pegs we arrived at one that allowed us to fish together, this peg is where I have targeted a Pike that resides under a large patch of weed, on 3 previous visits I have had this fish take my lure and today was no different, after one missed take I put the lure over him again, a nice splash and he had the lure :wink: Marc came over with the net and we both watched has a swam by us chomping on the lure, next thing he spat it out and another fish not landed :cry: Marc carried on with his now legendary lure, the Cormoran SB-dog 98 top water, this lure accounted for 10 Pike last week and was about to account for 6 more :-D Marc cast out and after a short retrieve he was into a fish, we knew it was a good one and after decent fight he was in the net, fish was weighed and it was 11lb 9oz, a new PB for Marc, there is no photo of the fish as Marc was concerned with the hard fight and a bit of time spent removing 2 sets of hooked trebles we let the fish swim happily away.
:clap:
I think Marc had started to feel sorry for me at this point and as he asked if I wanted to have a go with his lure, I refused for all of 10 seconds, on my third cast it was fish on :-D First fish of the day a nice jack of around 5lb, fish was quickly released and the lure cast back in the water, 10 minutes or so later I cast out, lure landed and just as I started to retrieve I was hit some 40 yards out, nice big splash as the fish hit the lure and it was game on, compared to the last fish we both new this was better, she ran taking line from the reel, what a feeling that was as I have never had a fish big enough to do that before, well after what seemed like 10 minutes of fighting and splashing Marc had the fish in the net, quickly de-hooked and a quick photo she was back in the water, this fish weighed in at 12lb9oz a new PB for me :clap:.

After 20 minutes and another fish of 4lb meant I had caught 3 fish on Marc's lure and he hadn't caught anything since giving it to me, at the next peg I reluctantly gave him his lure back :sad: We walked up to the other lake to a peg where we have both had fish on previous visits and within a few casts Marc was in, fish weighed in at 6lb 1oz, next was a walk to the 8 arch bridge, Marc took the first peg and me the second, in the first 15 mins Marc had hooked and lost 3 fish, the next 30 minutes I spent mocking his poor angling skills :wink: Time to start the walk back down the lake, stopped at a peg and second cast for me produced a nice fish of 7lb and caught on the Ghost Claw :-D Moving back over to the peg where we had our PB's earlier on we both caught a fish each, mine was 8lb 10oz and Mark's 7lb 5oz and there ended the day, 5 fish for me and 3 for Marc, here are some more pics.

A great way to spend a Birthday, 2 PB's and a haul of 5 fish beating my previous best of 3 in one session :-D

Thanks Marc for a very enjoyable day !

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tidy darts!!! lol. Congrats to you both on new pb`s. Your both still greenhorns though!!!!! lol
The only way for us is up though Iestyn :wink:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well done lads - those pike are easy to catch, eh :) Sounds like a great way to spend a birthday so fairplay to you both on the PB's. Steve, you lost some weight buddy???

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very well done guys, so want to have ago on the pike, looks great fun!! Congrats on PB u 2 :)
Nathan,

Next time you are down we will take you :-D with your angling skills you should be catching 20lb + fish :wink:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
a belated happy birthday to you, and well done on your pb's..................whats the biggest thats ever been caught at that fishery?..and how much is a day ticket?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
whats the biggest thats ever been caught at that fishery?..and how much is a day ticket?

I believe that the record from that water is around the 25 - 27lb mark (not exactly sure, but it's something like that). The biggest that we've had from there was this one . . . . . . .

. . . which bottomed-out my 15lb Boga (weighed in a net). Based on others we've caught since, it was in the region of 20lbs. Iestyn & I watched a 'bigger one' come within about an inch of taking Luke's lure on a subsequent visit (easily a mid-20's fish - that would have been some scrap for the little Basswalker !!!) . . . so there are Big'uns in there alright !!

A day ticket is £6, but we've all been picking up season tickets for £42, as we'll easily get our money back on that by next March (probably by August in reality).

·
Registered
932 Posts
Well done Steve and Marc. I'm off to to do my first piking ever quite soon. Just got to wait for mate to have some free time to show me the ropes. We have quite a few ponds/rivers/lakes etc but only have one worthy pond for pike and perch. The biggest pike is no more than 20lbs and Perch are only to 2lb. Still, should be fun though on my bushie 7ft 6" 2-18g and rarenium 3000.

Well done again you two!

·
Registered
22 Posts
There used to be a stuffed & mounted pike in a glass case, in the old mansion house (now part of the national trust's buildings at the Stackpole centre). We were allowed to go in & have a peek at it when we were kids, its weight was recorded at 32lb!
I'm not sure where it's ended up, somewhere over the border, I think, when the earls of Cawdor moved away from the area.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There used to be a stuffed & mounted pike in a glass case, in the old mansion house (now part of the national trust's buildings at the Stackpole centre). We were allowed to go in & have a peek at it when we were kids, its weight was recorded at 32lb!
I'm not sure where it's ended up, somewhere over the border, I think, when the earls of Cawdor moved away from the area.
I am sure there are big fish still in there Darren and we will be spending plenty of time there trying to catch one :-D

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well done Steve and Marc. I'm off to to do my first piking ever quite soon. Just got to wait for mate to have some free time to show me the ropes. We have quite a few ponds/rivers/lakes etc but only have one worthy pond for pike and perch. The biggest pike is no more than 20lbs and Perch are only to 2lb. Still, should be fun though on my bushie 7ft 6" 2-18g and rarenium 3000.

Well done again you two!
James,

I hope you will have as much fun with them as we have, great sport on the light gear :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts