The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not to be put of by 30+ knots of breeze from the SE i took a drive up and down the local coast last night looking for somewhere sheltered to have another bash at LRF. Suffice to say it was a bloody stupid idea and I was soon heading back to my hometown without wetting a line.

Not to be put off i took a wander up the local pier near my house. Full of trawlers sheltering from the storm and still windy as hell but stuff it ill give it 30m anyway I said to myself. Started at the steps where the concrete pier gives way to the boulder breakwater but could only manage a few very small taps and a follow or two from little skitters that where smaller than the 2" Reins Rock Vib lol.

Likeing a challenge I cut a bit off the SP reducing it to just over an inch in length, still small taps but the fish where just to small to actuall eat it I think. By now I was tierd of being cold and getting blown about so I headed for the car. One last cast at the back of a trawler I though so I lowered the mini SP straight down the side of the pier to the bottom and then swung it along the wall to the left and right a few times lifting it upto maybe 3" off the bottom. On the 3rd or 4th lift I got a good tap and promptly connected with something that was alive, 10s later I had this little fellow on the pier.

My mini species identification isnt what it was when I was a nipper but im pretty sure its a Short spined sea scorpion. I was tired of the wind trying to blow me off the pier by now and it had saved a blank and added another species to my huge LRF tally of 3 lol so I headed for home shortly after.

Marty

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Well done.

Another guy joins the very exclusive club of catching one of those on a lure.

A proper rockfish looking rockfish.

If only they went a kilo plus eh...

Don't forget though, Giant Gobies can exceed 10" long and near a pound in weight.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys.

When we where alot younger and used to dangle for these wee critters on purpose up the local pier, we had them to over a pound in weight, also had speci Tadpole fish and Rockling in the same spots.

The problem is access, the places we got them where little caverns between the boulders the foundations of the pier are made from. We used to lower a small bait through a little gap between the boulders maybe only 6 inches across to get into the caverns and once there you couldnt do alot with it bar wait for a bite. Im not sure how i would approach that with a SP, maybe a little dropshot rig or wacky style? Something to work on...

For sure one of the bigger ones whould be fun on the little rod.

Marty

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Marty, thanks for sharing and the second picture is a beauty, can you imagine that fish appearing in front of you if you were a shrimp or baitfish. Sometimes its easy to overlook the majesty of some of the fish we all encounter when out.

·
Registered
884 Posts
glad your still catching Marty and beats the boys with there 13ft beachcasters fishing for the same stuff LOL..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello Thomas. How are you doing? Still wiating for Marty to post the pic of my LRF Flounder from "the Little Harbour" or you may know it as the Long Hole.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Good to see you on here Austin.. Well done on your LRF flounder..

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Well done Marty, its great to see all these species being taken with LRF techniques.:clap: Good thinking on cutting back the sp, I must try that myself. I'm still trying to catch one of these little critters on sp's myself but like yourself I used to catch them on bait. Now I could be wrong but I think that one might be a Long Spined Sea Scorpion, confusingly its bigger brother is called the Short Spined Sea Scorpion. Apart from the general size and length of of those spines on their gill covers, if I remember correctly the best way of telling them apart is by looking at the underside of the head, I must look it up again. Either way though I'd love to catch one of those big ones on LRF gear.

Are they poisonous ?
They do have that look about them don't they and are often mistaken for something venomous but they're perfectly harmless.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts