The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's cold out!!

Snow, wind, hail, sleet... Slush and snow on the roads so I decide that fishing will be a good idea. :shock:

The airport is shut, a lightning strike in the storm last night has knocked the radar out or something. Apparently the roads aren't safe but I don't understand the fuss. Plenty of slush in places but nothing too bad. Islanders eh!!

Went to one of my wrasse marks where I almost guarantee a 3lb fish, rare to not get one over 3lb there.

and I was not to be dissapointed....

First few casts and I was plucked and whalloped by a feisty feeling fish, needed that as a warm up, freezing cold.

2711Wrasse.jpg

Weighed in the bag at 3lb 5oz and a bit. There's the 3 pounder!!

Snow shower started as I cast again, snagged up, pulled and the line went a few metres form the rod tip :-o Bummer. Re-tied a new leader and started up, had a few small fish but missing lots of takes so switched to a small on-up shad and some more small fish came along. they destroy one ups though and after losing 3 to fish I went back to the homemades.

To prove my consistent casting I got a bit of a snag but it came free, weed on the jig thinking to myself, as I see I have hooked my lost lure with the hook of the new jighead right through the middle of the body. All the line retreived, tie it back to my mainline (I was a bit short on the reel hitting backing mono on the cast and the Yamatoyo isn't cheap!!) and carry on for a bit til I get snagged and lose the jig and lure.

i have recently moved up to heavy PE#1.5 yamatoyo and it's a big difference. The feel is still Ok with a 7g head, bit fluffy with a 3.5g but when snagged the knot is better and the 15lb flouro tends to go first so will give it a go for a while and see.

Home when I couldn't feel hands and I hope to go again tomorrow. wish for an easterly rather than this North wind, screws up some of my marks big time does a north wind. Not sure I was to be down a cliff in this cold.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Fair Play m8 for getting out there and a nice fish in the process.

Looks like you could do well in a cumilative catch prize next year if you keep it up.

I'm sitting in the warm at work, wishing I could get out for a cple of hrs and a few chucks, looks cold out there but then means less people about as they all panick buying at the supermarkets incase this sleety stuff sticks and they cant get out in there 4x4's :)

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well my Suzuki carry van rear wheel drive was fine in the slushy conditions so I don't understand the 4x4 drivers panicking driving in front of me at 15mph, I nearly overtook it but that would have been showing off.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
we were out too Andy. I fished with Ritchie and his m8 for an hour and a half.

driving snow soon stopped play but I managed 1 about a pound and lost another beast I thought I had beat.
It had other idea's. i reckon in the 4 to 5 class again. I was quietly smiling on the outside but crying inside..

Ritchie was relieved to see it go i think.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Well done Andy.

Snow in the Channel Islands again. What's going on?????

It only reached around 5C here today but it's been sunny & I have even cut the lawn :)

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Nice report and lovey wrasse there ... well done for getting out there!

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Good fishing Andy, you know your marks alright! What weight Yamatoyo is your usual then?

I was out planting trees today, a bit marginal weather-wise but the grounds not too cold yet so they'll be fine, lots of digging so I was in my T-shirt for a good while!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nicely done Andy... Again:). Plenty of snow on the way to the Cornish Bumble this morning, not had it this early for some time.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Good fishing Andy, you know your marks alright! What weight Yamatoyo is your usual then?

I was out planting trees today, a bit marginal weather-wise but the grounds not too cold yet so they'll be fine, lots of digging so I was in my T-shirt for a good while!
Positively tropical here today Tim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts