The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a boat (Wilson Flyer 23ft) and am looking at other options. The boat is for use in shallow water (harbor) and needs to have enough room for 4 people on board with a max of three people fishing at any one time. What do you think is the ultimate boat for this purpose please?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
For me there are three options;

Aluminium boat - very light, very tough and towable but can be a bit noisy unless you go to lengths to soundproof (get welded rather than rivetted alu hull)

Rib - very fast very able and could fish three at a push however you lose alot of space inside especially fishing three

Centre Console / Dory - plenty of space and alot of options available but can be heavy and easy to damage over rocks

All have pro's and con's - I would examine your type of fishing - if it is purely bass lure and fly the three options above give you food for thought, but if you want to do some bait fishing or general long range angling take a look at Warrior Boats - I had a self hire for 10 days and it was an awesome all rounder.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you look at a thread called "You want one of these" in this section it is a summary of a boat I bought 2 weeks ago. I took it by trailer to St Mawes and caught 29 bass from 2' of water to 60ft of water. I found it immensely versitile - even Nathan Taylor liked it and he is not a fan of boats. If you need more details i can let you have them

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
What sort of price range are you looking at. If money no object have a look at a catamaran, very stable, shallow draft
,fuel efficient hull, loads of space & great load carrying capacity. I had a 6.9 metre Cheetah cat for 10 years & its still the best boat of that size i've fished from.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Nick and Steve. I did see your article Nick and that looks like a great boat and just the type of craft I am looking for. I just wanted a range of similar boats to compare and look at. Steve its not so much a coast as a size and finish i am looking for. I think a cat does not have quite the finish I am looking for. Has anyone used or owned a Cobia or a Hydra sports? Similar to a boston whaler.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Triton..... They are all very similar and looks like I will have my work cut out picking the right one.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Grady Whites are lovely. Also don't ignore Edgewater if American boats are your thing and your budget will stretch that far. I went aboard one in Crouesty (Jouvence Marine) a few years ago and given the better € rate back then, I wish I'd bought one!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Fished aboard Grady's in Cape Cod, quick stable, dry even at speed. I was very impressed

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Glacier bay cats are one of the finest finished small boats on the market, but you do pay for it.I must agree with the guys who suggested Grady Whites they have some lovely boats.Looking into hiring a Sea Chaser in Florida next year, this looks like another stunning range of boats. Trouble is theres so much choice, Triton, Paul & myself were using Rocads in Norway this year, great boats,well laid out,good in a sea & economical to run.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Dave and steve. They are all very similar and I have plenty of homework to do. Those Glaciers look fantastic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why not get a Boston Whaler, I have a Dauntless 18 with 140 horse, they are expensive but hold their value over the years, I keep on thinking about changing but everything I have tried doesn't even come close. Live bait wells etc. etc. very safe boat (can be a bit exposed if you get caught out but that is why the invented waterproofs!)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Why not get a Boston Whaler, I have a Dauntless 18 with 140 horse, they are expensive but hold their value over the years, I keep on thinking about changing but everything I have tried doesn't even come close. Live bait wells etc. etc. very safe boat (can be a bit exposed if you get caught out but that is why the invented waterproofs!)
I agree on the Boston Whaler and would have bought one if I could have afforded it. It is on my wish list for when I upgrade. It will be 4 or 5 years though!!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hi Dylan,
I purchased a Zodiac 5.5m open rib with 100horsepower on her bum. If you ant to get to marks fast and fish many marks in one day a rib is great. Good for getting behind the surf on beaches and estuarys as well. Fuel efficiency is better than I thought with a hard day fishing 10-15 marks with three on board is averaging £30 a trip. Also easy to launch from a beach.I agree with Alex that three on board is max if all are fishing.

good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts