The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a net to land bass. I considered switching to a lip gripper such as a boga for carrying convenience. However I've seen fish landed with boga's and similar devices with damage to the the soft tissue on the lower jaw behind the lip so I did a bit of research and found this

http://troutunderground.com/2008/08...ng-devices-boca-grips-damaged-80-of-bonefish/

Based on this I will not be getting a boga

What do others think?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think a proper landing net suited to the species being targeted is the way to go, with the well being and safety of the fish and 'you the angler' in mind.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I use a net to land bass. I considered switching to a lip gripper such as a boga for carrying convenience. However I've seen fish landed with boga's and similar devices with damage to the the soft tissue on the lower jaw behind the lip so I did a bit of research and found this

http://troutunderground.com/2008/08...ng-devices-boca-grips-damaged-80-of-bonefish/

Based on this I will not be getting a boga

What do others think?
Hmm, your worried about the soft tissue.......but what about your trebles and the tearing they do, the damage caused to the fin membranes when you use the net instead of the boga, the tissue damage caused by handling the fish and removing its protective mucus with your dry hand or dry towel, the damage caused when you lie the fish down on the sharp rocks, the potential eye damage which the middle treble causes?
The boga is a fantastic tool for holding the fish when in the water and removing the trebles. Better than a treble in your hand?

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I use a boga sometimes and a net sometimes. When using a Boga, I would suggest not hanging the Bass by it, always support the weight underneath the body with the other hand. I am confident I don't damage my fish when I have landed them, I am more worried about putting fish down on sharp barnacle covered rocks etc.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I've been using a cheapo version of the Boga and had no ill effects on the fish. I have however had a treble in a fishes eye as well as all 3 trebles in the fish at once. I've also dropped fish while unhooking them before buying grips.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, your worried about the soft tissue.......but what about your trebles and the tearing they do, the damage caused to the fin membranes when you use the net instead of the boga, the tissue damage caused by handling the fish and removing its protective mucus with your dry hand or dry towel, the damage caused when you lie the fish down on the sharp rocks, the potential eye damage which the middle treble causes?
The boga is a fantastic tool for holding the fish when in the water and removing the trebles. Better than a treble in your hand?
Hi Simon

I don't use a dry hand or towel and I don't put fish on rocks. I cut trebles with a bolt cutter to minimise damage.

Yes a net can split fin membranes but I feel fin membrane damage which is usually minor is a much less dangerous than splitting the inside of the fishes mouth.

Catching fish potentially damages fish. I am concerened with minimising the risks. Hook damage can occur whether or not I use a boga so how do we minimise potential damage with the method of landing we use (hand v glove v boga etc.)

Hooking oneself can be avoided used through the use of the bolt clippers.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hi Simon

I don't use a dry hand or towel and I don't put fish on rocks. I cut trebles with a bolt cutter to minimise damage.

Yes a net can split fin membranes but I feel fin membrane damage which is usually minor is a much less dangerous than splitting the inside of the fishes mouth.

Catching fish potentially damages fish. I am concerened with minimising the risks. Hook damage can occur whether or not I use a boga so how do we minimise potential damage with the method of landing we use (hand v glove v boga etc.)

Hooking oneself can be avoided used through the use of the bolt clippers.
Eliminate the risk totally by fish without the hooks....then they could let go if they wanted too :shock:. A treble in the hand and the other attached to the bass is a recipe for disaster, get a chain-mail glove maybe....or a lip grip, do whatever you want to fella.
It would make something for you-tube seeing a plugger with bass on, treble in one hand, rod in other, tasty swell running and fiddling around with their spare hand with their 'bolt clippers' :???:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eliminate the risk totally by fish without the hooks....then they could let go if they wanted too :shock:. A treble in the hand and the other attached to the bass is a recipe for disaster, get a chain-mail glove maybe....or a lip grip, do whatever you want to fella.
It would make something for you-tube seeing a plugger with bass on, treble in one hand, rod in other, tasty swell running and fiddling around with their spare hand with their 'bolt clippers' :???:
I've already pointed out its about minimising damage. Hooks cause damage as I stated and agreed with you. With the fish in the net its easy to reach in and just cut the hooks where ever you can see them. ........fella

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Paul ..
Simon was making a statement about handling fish by anybody ( your ) is a figure of speach , in no way is it aimed at you , we are never going to agree with the way Angler do or do not handle thier fish , Bogas are a safer way of assisting landing a bass or any fish with teeth !!!
So lets try and keep this on topic no personal digs or the thread will be REMOVED end of !!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paul ..
Simon was making a statement about handling fish by anybody ( your ) is a figure of speach , in no way is it aimed at you , we are never going to agree with the way Angler do or do not handle thier fish , Bogas are a safer way of assisting landing a bass or any fish with teeth !!!
So lets try and keep this on topic no personal digs or the thread will be REMOVED end of !!!
my reciprocating was just a jest....nothing personal meant

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Paul, just a question but do you actually 'cut' your trebles? meaning you have to attach a new one to the split ring each time?

·
Registered
18 Posts
A bit of conscientiousness is needed when landing fish. Whether these gripping devices or a landing net are used or not doesn't matter if an individual doesn't ultimatley have the fishes' well being in mind by doing things such as handling fish with dry hands or cloths or unhooking them on rocks. Land the fish in a landing net while thinking of its well being and your own and leave the water or move to a safe area with the fish in the net. Place the netted fish down on ground that is safe for both you and the fish for unhooking. For heavily hooked fish I agree with cutting the hooks for safe removal of them and the lure, for the fish and you the angler. To be clear, cutting them does not mean leaving lumps of hook in the fish, it is to aid the complete removal of the hooks with as little damage to the fish as possible...So, back to the devices, I have seen pictures of people with fish hanging from these gripping devices without having their weight supported or properly supported and that can't be good for the fish... Are some people using these things to save having to move to unhook the fish?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paul, just a question but do you actually 'cut' your trebles? meaning you have to attach a new one to the split ring each time?
Hi Matt

If the treble looks like it will cause a lot of damage to either the fish or me then I cut the treble in such a way the points are no longer attached to the treble shank. I then replace the treble. I carry a rapala split ring pliers which makes it very easy.

I started doing this when pike fishing many years ago when using large lures. It was just natural to carry over the practice to bass.

Here is the bolt cutters I use. Its 8 inches so very transportable. I bought mine years ago. You need to keep them well oiled to proof against corrosion/rust

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B-Q-8-200mm-BOLT-CUTTERS-BRAND-NEW-/350376620579

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Fair play to you mate, each to his own and all that. I tend to crush the barbs on trebles now and touch wood not had any tricky unhooking's to contend with.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I started doing this when pike fishing many years ago when using large lures. It was just natural to carry over the practice to bass.

Here is the bolt cutters I use. Its 8 inches so very transportable. I bought mine years ago. You need to keep them well oiled to proof against corrosion/rust

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B-Q-8-200mm-BOLT-CUTTERS-BRAND-NEW-/350376620579
Not very common in the salt water lure angling world, but bolt cutters are one of the most important tools in any pike anglers armoury and nobody should be without them.

I use the Knipex version that is not exactly cheap, but can cut through a 4/0 or 5/0 treble like it was made of spaghetti.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
IMO.
I don't really like Bogas et al but I can see them being useful to hold a wriggling fish still while you remove a hook. I appreciate it can be sometimes impossible to leave a fish mostly in the water but that's how I prefer it, I only use single hooks to make it easier. I hate seeing a fish hanging by it's bottom lip for a picture.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not very common in the salt water lure angling world, but bolt cutters are one of the most important tools in any pike anglers armoury and nobody should be without them.

I use the Knipex version that is not exactly cheap, but can cut through a 4/0 or 5/0 treble like it was made of spaghetti.
I originally picked up the idea from the writing of Pete Mania the US musky angler. If I remember correctly he also used a knipex. Vidar have you used the knipex in the salt? How does it stand up to corrosion. Quite well I would expect ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's really about the application of the fish friendliest methods given your style of fishing. I know nothing about skishing but would I be correct in thinking a boga or such like is the most plausible landing solution in that type of application?

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
I have found the bogas really useful for handling bait that is intent on biting me before I impale it on a 4/0 ;-)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts