The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a word of warning to those of us who think we're still in our teens. I'm now officially not. Tried showing my son, aged 11, how to skateboard on a ramp on Saturday and now have my wrist incased in blue plaster !! :( 44 year olds shouldn't try to 'rock and roll', cause you look a Tw** when you land in a heap at the side of the half pipe ! Looking at the swell charts locally, it looks like the fishing is going to be great :( The only positive at the moment, is it's not definately bust. By all accounts I've got to go back in 10 days and have a further x-ray and then I'll either have the all clear, or another possible 12 weeks in plaster !! :( My skateboarding days have finished just as quickly as they started, again !!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Ouch !!

My biggest tumble on a skateboard came at about the age of 12. I was holding on to the back of my brothers Astra GTE (Back to the Future style), when he decided that it would be really funny to accelerate to about 40mph.

The resulting speed-wobbles were uncontrollable, and the fall was a cracker !! No bones broken, but plenty of skin left on the tarmac :p

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Welcome to the "OLD GITS CLUB" Mike.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Ouch. I was never any good with skateboards. I got them banned at school when I came off doing something or other and split my lip, lots of blood and a few stitches.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Mike said:
I think I've been in the club for a while, but let my membership slip on the weekend. Subs are on their way !!
Mike don't worry that just the dementia kicking in. Plays havoc with the memory mate...:muttley::muttley:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Mike, sorry to hear about the fall but I did chuckle. And my kids wonder why I don't join them on the trampoline and stuff? It's because Dad is too old and too fat and getting too scared of hurting himself!

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Unlucky Mike.

I hope its not your scaphoid mate, as I broke mine and was in plaster for 3 months before they gave up and put a permanent pin in it ... all told 4.5 months in plaster!

·
Registered
769 Posts
(As Nick suggested) it sound like they are waiting to rule out a scaphoid fracture as they dont show untill there is callus (new bone) formation at the fracture site which takes 10 days to 2 weeks. Ligament sprains in the carpals (the scaphioid is one of them) can take a while to settle but at least you should be able to fish and not have a plaster you have to keep dry.

At 45 (almost) I tend to reserve my fractures and stiches to injuries playing contact sports i should have given up 10 years ago. I do always stop playing such sports a few weeks before of an ireland trip for fear I will do something that will stop me from going!

Hope the second x-ray is all clear

Matt (the musceloskeletal physiotherapist)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I guess the ollie kickflip to frontside 540 is out then?
It just makes me glad that I'm too old to understand what the hell you're talking about Alex....

Just a complicated name for another attempt at the Darwin Awards to me....:muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At 45 (almost) I tend to reserve my fractures and stiches to injuries playing contact sports i should have given up 10 years ago.
With surfing, cycling, both on the road and Mtb, running and my job, I tend to pick up the odd bump. In fact while at the hospital yesterday I was looking at the information leaflets for various ailments and thought, yep I've got that...and that....and that...and, well there wasn't much I didn't have !! :eek:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Mike,
Great to see that you're so at home with the "Old Gits" club mate. It's a good sign when you go to the hospital and realise (think) you have all the ailments under the sun. Watch out though..the next stage is telling everyone about them.....:muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley:

PS keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out okay for you....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mike,
Great to see that you're so at home with the "Old Gits" club mate. It's a good sign when you go to the hospital and realise (think) you have all the ailments under the sun. Watch out though..the next stage is telling everyone about them.....:muttley::muttley::muttley::muttley:

PS keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out okay for you....
I'll keep the majority of my ailments to myself at the moment, if it's OK with you !! And thanks for the crossed fingers !!

Mike

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Oh dear Mike......is it the casting arm or the winding arm :-o

Still, its time off work I guess, or have they given you a desk and a phone ;-)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts