The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of Bonitos were caught recently in a net in Bideford Bay. This must be quite rare, right?

Is this an indication of species moving further north due to climate change, or do you always get the odd 'lost' fish?

Should we be looking forward to targeting this species off our waters in the not too distant future?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Simon,
Any chance of pictures???
Bonito turn up in Cornwall/Devon every couple of years, never in enough numbers to target them sadly-A bit like the couple of Bluefin tuna (Alex-starts to drool) a couple of years back.
But I for one will be wishing VERY VERY hard for the bonito to increase in numbers-As a sportfish they are awesome.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Anglers went after Tuna in the North Sea pre war, so you could where are they now?

Lots of things can influence this, warmer water, blooms in the Channel (there has just been one actually), being displaced from another area, etc.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
The northern bluefin that were fished for in the channel are pretty much dead and gone. Between overfishing the tuna, and overfishing their food source (herring), they didn't last long.
Just another sad story of greed and over expliotation.

Off south west Ireland (long range) they have been hitting both small tuna (8-20lb) and some larger tuna (up to 300lb) but it is still a very hit or miss fishery. It really needs better boats and anglers with plenty of tuna experience to get things out there really sorted.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
The old stories and photos out of S****horpe and the North Sea were great - such a shame the Herring fishery went ... would be fantastic to see them return - who knows 20 years from now we may have some awesome sportfishing ... I live in hope!

Shame we don't get stripers over this side of the pond :l

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I heard the french boats have had some good hauls of Tuna not too far from Jersey at all in the last few years. Quite sporadic visitors though apparently. I think it was Andrew Syvret that had the info on the catches near Jsy, as I was gobsmacked, especially as they were 300-400lb fish

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
If you could find the herring shools that still enter the channel, then it would be worth having a go.
Also worth noting that Cornwall/Devon has seen a big increase of herring along their coast over the last few years-fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Dave don't you remember the 800lb Tuna caught off Killbegs (ROI)8 years or so ago....that was hooked only 300 yards of the beach. I think they are still catching quite a few from Galway coast.......:shock:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
No pictures, but I know the guy who caught them, so I'll be quizzing him next time I see him. It's a reliable report. He took a couple early in the season, too.

The same guy is also about the last remaining herring fisherman in Clovelly. He says he catches more than he can sell. No wonder stocks are on the increase, people can't be bothered with this 'unfashionable' fish anymore. Just wait til they become cheaper than tinned tuna again, then they'll soon disappear.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Simon, before the salmon drift netting was banned in Ireland fishermen caught afew Bigeye Tuna in the nets just a few meters off a local headland. Two Broadbill swordfish were caught off Baltimore in West Cork a few years ago in salmon drift nets which were laid at night:wink:The Blue Fin fishery has collapsed after very early promise thanks to our japanese friends.:x
regards
bob

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bonito-tuna.jpg

"Two Bonito Tuna were caught in a swing net off the coast of Clovelly by Clovelly Harbour Master and fisherman, Stephen Perham, on the 11th and 12th July.

Both fish were 500 mm long and 1 kg in weight."

This is from the Clovelly website. I'm guessing these were the ones he caught earlier in the season as the guy I was talking to yesterday seemed to be talking about a recent catch.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Simon,
If I were you, I would be talking very nicely to your herring fishing friend. Get yourself on a boat and get out there. Pretty easy to find bonito by trolling, Small to medium sized lures work well, plenty of silver on them helps too (20-30g Halco Twisty's are great). Keep the drags light, or you will just tear out of them, Oh and a reel with 250 meters+ of 20lb braid is ideal.
One word of warning, once you hook and play a tuna, you never see bass or any other fish the same way again. In short fight wise NOTHING that swims comes close pound for pound.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just so happens I have my own boat down that way. Maybe I ought to be out more!

And I can just imagine how they fight, considering that a half pound mackerel makes a 5lb bass seem like a lazy slob.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Simon,
Trust me Bonito are a good step up from Mackerel!!
If you have a boat, get details of where the guy caught them, odds are they will be in a similar area (where the bait is shoaling up). They can be pretty easy to catch once you find them!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Those Bonitos look awesome Simon! Do you know how far out he was when they were caught? I wonder if theres a (rare) chance of hooking them from the shore marks aroud here? They look like good eating to...

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you could find the herring shools that still enter the channel, then it would be worth having a go.
Also worth noting that Cornwall/Devon has seen a big increase of herring along their coast over the last few years-fingers crossed.
Dave saw a kayaker come ashore last night with 2 mackerel and one really big herring taken on a toby.

·
Registered
645 Posts
photos out of S****horpe
The site profanity checker is little over zelous this evening!

Not bonito's but in a similar vain I know of several Blue Runners that have been caught on rod and line in the Falmouth bay area in the last couple of years.... like the numbers of triggers, giltheads etc have done in the last 20 years I expect the numbers of these to increase in time so maybe they will become a viable target in years to come

1 - 20 of 22 Posts