The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out last night to a mark a few miles north of me. Water was flat calm and clear. Walking across the sand to the mark it was littered with Jellyfish. I've seen a few on the sand before but you couldn't walk without stepping on them.

Got onto the rocks and had a few casts, moving along the edge as I went. I could see gulls absolutely hammering the water about 100yds off. After about 20 minutes fishing a white x-layer on a weedless 7g jig head I got hit right at my feet. The fish went nuts, jumped twice and then spat the hook. Gutted as it probably would have been my best bass from up here as I would guess it to be 3lbs plus.

I switched to a maria chase to quickly cover the area just in case the Bass was still about. Three casts later had a tiny Pollock. So small its had the front treble in its gob and the tail hook in its tail. Greedy bugger.

With no sign of the Bass I switch to a White spindle worm on a 5g weedless jighead. Twenty minutes later got a good take that shook and shook and then dived and came of. Bugger again.

I kept going but nothing else happened. Apart from seeing a pair of either Dolphins or Porpoises cruising about 40 yds out from me, which I've never seen before. Such cool animals.

Packed up at last light as had to be up early today. On the way back saw a frog hopping along in the middle of the beach. Dunno what he was doing there as he was a good 100yds from the nearest grass.

Gutted about losing the fish but had a night to remember.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
After about 20 minutes fishing a white x-layer on a weedless 7g jig head I got hit right at my feet. The fish went nuts, jumped twice and then spat the hook.
Unlucky m8.

Read my latest posts and blog articles to see how I'm fast losing patience with weedless rigging.
Good post though.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep, was going to ask a few questions about what to do when a fish hits on a weedless hook. I don't know if you need to actually strike a bit, as usually on normal hooks I'll lift quickly rather than striking and reel in. I suspect last night neither fish I lost were hooked properly, if at all.

The area I was fishing is really really shallow with lots of weed though so I don't know how else to approach it.

I'll have a look at your blog.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Hi Pete sorry to hear about the lost fish...must have got the heart racing though..

·
Registered
865 Posts
well done pete, still fun but a bet very frustrating. av had a few takes on sp's rigged weedless that havent hooked up but a debarb my hooks so could be my fault??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts