The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this might be covered elsewhere but i cant find it, what are your favorite books and dvds about fishing both bass and other types??

I love Hooked on Bass such a brilliant book and any of Mr Gilbey's dvds such enthusiasm make's me what to go fishing every time i see him on tv :) . Aslo shows like a passion for angling, ans all the others on discovery :) but is there any i am missing whether it be books or dvds??

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks keith, any other ideas??

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
The Diawa SeaBass DayGame DVD's are well worth a watch, some good tips in there too.
Hopefully will have my hands on some newer Japanese DVD's shortly-Monster Hunt 1&2, DayGames 3.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Are you after factual, technique kind of 'how to' books, or just fishing in general? I read a lot of fishing stories etc.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Either factual or story based i am currently reading "on fishing at sea" by chris yates really good so far :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Diawa SeaBass DayGame DVD's are well worth a watch, some good tips in there too.
Hopefully will have my hands on some newer Japanese DVD's shortly-Monster Hunt 1&2, DayGames 3.
Really lik e the look of those :) where do you buy them from mate??

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Yes, the Japanese Daiwa range of DVD's are highly recommended.

To be honest, not really anything of note from Britain that is even remotely up-to date, book or DVD.

However: There have been some good books by British authors in my opinion but not many salt lure books, if any ? that I've read.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Oriental Angler or Plats (both in japan)
There are a few interesting looking french DVD's listed on the european websites

·
Registered
932 Posts

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
'Tales of Fishing Virgin Sea' by Zane Grey is a very good book, recounting big game fishing in the early years. Zane was a legend, and some of the places and adventures he had on his boat are awesome. Any fishing book by an author called 'BB' is brilliantly written. They are stories in the main, but that guy can take you off your sofa and put you firmly on an idyllic riverside with his writing. 'Anglers Moon' by Leo Walmsley is another very good book I have read recently. John Wilson also has some good books about his travels, that guy has been about and caught some fish!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks mark it's does kind of books i was looking for cheers for that

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I remember stopping by one stand in Nantes where they had loads of really, really good books! Alas, I can't remember any of the names so I'm bu**er all use here, but there are out there............. in France. These were proper books with proper diagrams of different lures and diagrams galore showing how to work different types of baits. Translated, they'd sell like hot cakes.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mark, Kevin, I got a book from the library, decades ago, called The Sea Fishermans Bedside Book. Its edited by Bill Nathan and published by Duckworth. No, I don't have a brilliant memory. I have it sitting here on my lap right now.
Anyway, around year 2000 / 01, I couldn't get the book from the library or anywhere and began searching all over the place for it. In the end I managed to get a copy by leaving my details and a £20 deposit at some second hand / collectors book shop in Felixstowe, Suffolk.
It's not so much a factual "how to book", but a collection of short stories. Some famous(ish) old names turn up as various authors in there like John Bickerdyke, Captain Norton Sidney Bracey, Hugh Stoker and of course, possibly the great angler / writer / traveller of them all, Ernest Hemmingway.

If you manage to get a copy, you will thoroughly enjoy it. I have problems with reading large amounts of text due to a form of dyslexia. But this is one of VERY few books that I have ever managed to completely read through. Not just once, either, but time ad time again.

Reactions: Kevin Wilkinson

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Andy that sounds brilliant off now to trawl the tinternet :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
+1 on hemingway
especially the nick adams stories

Also like John Gierach and Tom McGuane

good DVDs
A River Runs Through It ("the" movie - of course)
A River Somewhere (Oz tv series)
the fishing DVD - oz dvd-azine
the search - tahiti
megabass series
the squidgy series (Oz SP lures)
trout bum series

A more fiction type
Mallabec by george walker (murder and salmon fishing! - one of the great undiscovered fishing books)

nick

edit: I also have a shed load of fishing (and ordinary) books for the Amazon Kindle
if anyone is interested PM me and I'll make arrangements about a download link :badlol:

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Hugh Falkus Salmon fishing
Hugh Falkus sea trout fishing
Two very good books if your into this form of fishing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts