The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out a few weeks ago with some friends for some night lure fishing targeting "european mulloway". Ehehe.

The conditions were perfect, a really hot and windless night, the tide was stoping and we could hear, and sometimes see the white water explosions of massive surface attacks againts mullets.
As usually, we used mainly softbaits.

I used my regular sofbaiting setup, a Gloomis SJR 783 MH 6'6'' ; a Twinpower 4000 FB loaded with 15 pound Power Pro + a Seaguar FXR 0,43 mm leader, a really long leader, because big fish and structure can be a deadly combo.

I started with a Berkley Saltwater Powerbait 5" Swimshad + a 15 gram Storm Lip Weight.

After a few casts got felt a thump, waited a second, strike!
Fought and felt like a decent sized seabass.
Small maigre, about 4 or 5 kilos, photographed and released.

Continued with the same slow retrieve, bumping the lure trought the bottom, pausing it a shaking it.

Then....I felt a thump, and got stuck.
At least I tought that in the first 10 seconds..
Then the supposed "prision" started to slowy move, taking meter after meter of line, at a very,very slow speed.
It crossed my mind that maybe it could be a cable or big rope that was being dragged at the bottom.

But as my line reached a very deep "trench" a few meters from were I got stuck all Hell broke loose.
My drag was dialed quite closed, but it looked like it wasn't even there.
It was the biggest, strongest pull and run I ever felt.
The unknow animal went like a freight train riding the current.
100 Meters of line off, 200 meters, 250 meters...

It was looking like my Doomsday had arrived.
I really tought I was done for it, and that I was going to have all my line striped off, in spite off having the drag at almost the max pressure that line could handle.

When about 50 or 40 meters of line remained in the spool, it stoped.
I tried to fast pump it, but hell, no way, It would move.

I countinued to apply pressure with the rod at a high angle, hoping that it would come of the bottom (something that is typical in a big meagre fight).

After about 2 minutes of apllying pressure, it finally left the bottom and rised in the water column, I applied three strong and fast jerks hoping that it would make the fish turn and started running to me, and not for me or I was going to have a shinny lineless spool in my hands.

It's a risk, if the hook is not properly set, it can go off, but it paid off.
The fish started running in my direction, and I could retrieve 100 or so of line.

Then, again, it went off like a rocket.
No way I could stop it, just hold the rod at high angle, and pray for it.

Again, when things were grim, it stopped and runned in my direction.

It made this move 5 times, sometimes swimming slowy and peeling line, other times exploding like a bomb and stripping like the drag wasnt even there.

I was sweating like a madman, and my arm and shoulders were aching like hell, but no way, no backing down now!

Stay cool, and focus! I don't know how many times I said this to myself.

After about 40 minutes of a hellish tug of war, and quite a few times were I almost swared I was going to loose, she started to tire, and finally, showed herself.

It was an impressive silver slab.

After a few missed tries, we managed to land (only her head) in a net, and beach her.

She measured 1,67 meters (I'm 1,75 meters high, hell!)

She weighted 85.9 pounds.

I felt small, unworthy of such a beautifull creature.

Still, after two years of starting from scratch, lure fishing in a area were almost every angler tought it was impossible to catch even a small seabass with a lure, he's the result of the hard work, study and many hours trying.
Learning and grasping the behaviour, best animation and lures, best time of the day and tide, etc, etc...
It was hard, but it was fun, and in the end paid off.

Still! I think this is just the tip of the Iceberg. There's so much more to learn and experiment.

As for the light tacke I used, yes, it was a HELL of a fight, but I must advise it's NOT the best tackle for this kind of fish, especially fishing around heavy structure.
It required skill yes, but I had a good dose of luck in taking this one out too.

Well, I finish my graduation (4 year licenciature) in nursing last week, and now, I'm going to enjoy my hollydays, and fishing like mad of course.

Cheers to you all from Portugal!

It weighted 85.9 pounds.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Sweet mother of Mary!! That's insane Pedro!!! Very well done!!! I so wish we had fish like that in our seas. The possibility of hooking something that is almost impossible to stop is something we rarely encounter. That's why I like the idea and pleasure of LRF.

Enjoy your summer off! Hopefully we'll see a few more reports like this one!! :)

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Nice One Pedro

I'm over in Portugal again at the end of October I may even pack a rod this time.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Argh! Can't see it with the work filters! What is it? What ever it is/was it was a brilliant fisherman pulled that from the depths! Fantastic stuff Pedro! :clap:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Pedro, That is truly awesome fishing mate!!!!!!! What an amazing feat!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
That is some fish Pedro, brilliant report and pictures, very well done :clap:

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Holy ****ing ****, thats an incredible fish, and achievment....brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whats the most realistic top weight of that species from the shore?

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
English name is meagre.

French name maigre.

Portuguese and spanish name is corvina.

Scientific name is Argyrosomus Regius.
Cheers Pedro.
Just went off for a wee google and found this page: http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Drumfish.htm
note where it says they've been found in Sweden so there's a chance of them being caught in the Chanel Islands!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
That is absolutely amazing!!!

I want to live on the continent... Better food, better fishing, great people... why do I live on a little island again?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm almost sure that (at least from boat) it's possible to catch these fella's in the Channel Inslands.

If they show up in the Gulf of Biscay and in France (near Spain), maybe they'll show in there too.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Incredible fish mate that is some truely outstanding angling amazing stuff :)

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I'm almost sure that (at least from boat) it's possible to catch these fella's in the Channel Inslands.

If they show up in the Gulf of Biscay and in France (near Spain), maybe they'll show in there too.
You would think they would be close by but they are not on the Guernsey, Jersey or Channel island record lists at all. Do you think we would have to do anything different to normall bass fishing and get lucky? Would a different approach help catch one if they are there?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ok so its a meagre but is it a memeber of the bass family it looks like a bass only a the holy mother of all bass :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts