The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Or should the title be The Fantastic Four - Rise of the Pike!!!!!

Well it finally arrived, June 16th which signals the traditional start of fishing at Bosherton (which has been closed since 30th March) Despite the tremendous success that was achieved during the winter/early spring period, several of the previous “regulars” decided not to fish today!?!? Anyway, their loss was certainly the gain to Simon, Steve and Ben and I. And what a cracking day we all had.

I personally was itching to get back to Bosh so arrival at the car park could not come quick enough despite every effort from Si to break the land speed record!!! We must have been there all of five minutes before Steve pulled up alongside. A quick “shw mae” would have done but instead I got man-hugged lol. Always a great start to the day when you’re up at 2am and someone puts you in a vice like grip and tries to squeeze the air out of you!!! Anyway, Simon had fished the lakes yesterday so had the “inside information” on what pegs were firing so we set off to target a specific bank first. I was simply in awe on arrival at the water, what a transformation since I last fished it. It looked incredible!!!

I was armed with a very healthy selection of surface lures but opted to start the day with a weed less frog. I selected a likely looking peg and after about 3-4 casts the frog got nailed!! In my excitement I struck too early and pulled the lure out of the pike’s mouth, after offering myself some advice with a few choice word’s I continued to work the frog in and around cover. I had several other takes in quick succession but was failing to actually bank the fish!!! I can only put the cause of this down to the kamikaze aerobics from the pike that were leaping clear of the water thrashing and shaking their heads before taking every opportunity to get into the thick cover of the lilies!! Further along the bank Steve spotted a pike sunbathing and I took this opportunity to demonstrate the frog. I flipped it out about five foot ahead of the pike we watched as the sound of the frog plopping down grabbed its attention I did not have much of a chance to walk it as it was smashed very aggressively!! I did not get carried away this time and as we could both see the entire take I watched the fish smash the lure off the top, turn away and close its mouth THEN I struck to set the hooks. FISH-ON! After a spectacular fight my first pike of the day was banked. Guesstimated at 8lbs, quickly un-hooked, photographed and returned.

The rest of the day continued in much the same fashion, it was a case of covering the likely looking areas you would expect the pike to be, accurate casting and lure control. My tally for the day was 7 pike and a perch with the last pike of the day probably going 10lb (Ben has the pic on his camera) but after it gave me the run around in a weed bed which resulted in me going in to get it out I just wanted to get it back safely. The other pike were all between 6lb and 8lb. So yet another fantastic day at Bosh! Nothing beats taking a fish off the top IMO. I also witnessed the most impressive hit I have ever seen by a pike, Steve and I stopped at a peg and Steve proceeded to demonstrate the Z-claw to me, I observed the sexy weaving of his gold z-claw and we both remarked how good it looked as its flanks flashed. Immediately as this was said and with the lure almost at the rod tip a pike absolutely nailed it. It launched itself clear of the water diagonally from right to left; honestly it must have been 4-5 feet through the air! It continued to go ballistic before I was eventually able to land it. Such was the power of the fish and fight that it straightened a treble and pulled the split ring off!!! The fish was guesstimated at 8lbs but like all the pike today they fought well above their weight!!

Simon had a mixed day starting badly when he put 2 lures into the trees; honestly it is going to be like Blackpool illuminations down there now he has a season ticket!!! In all fairness he did land the biggest of the day at a guestimated weight of 12lbs that (and I need Steve to confirm) was poached from his swim!!!! I think he got bored decorating the trees and decided to decorate a pike’s mouth with lures after getting snapped/bitten off. It didn’t seem to put the pike off as it had another go at his lure later in the day!!! Again Simon had loads of hits and takes to the surface lures and banked 4 fish. The super sausage lure will go down in history for years!! Simon hopefully will explain and include a picture!!!! I think Ben banked 3-4 fish and also lost count of the sheer number of hits and follows we all had throughout the day and hopefully he will post some pics aswell.

Anyways I’ve typed enough!! I’m sure Si, Steve and Ben will add to this as I believe Si and Ben were doing some freshwater LRF!? Absolutely top day with great company, fantastic banter and a team spirit throughout, apologies if I have missed something out but so much happened and I rushed this post a bit! Hopefully I will do a better job on my blog!!!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Stunning report Iestyn and I think you covered it all, Simon did have his biggest fish off my peg, problem was he is so big I had to stop fishing :wink: Ben also joined us at the same peg and was casting to a Pike that just refused to be hooked up at least 6 times, we could see the fish follow and snap at every cast Ben pulled over him. My fish took the lure at least 120 yards out in the lake and not at the rod tip :wink: my casting was awesome all day :-D Simon's sausage lure will become legendary after the slight tuning all the Pike gave it, strange because the more hits and hook ups he had the more the action got better and got more fish, brilliant day guys, banter brilliant as always and many fish landed. Who could ask for a better day :-D

ps, thanks for the lend of the frog lure, I had 4 takes and lost one at the bank with it !

pps, Bear hugs are only given to people I like :wink:

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Very nice write-up Iestyn. Yes, my day started a little frustratingly. Got better though - especially when the Super-Sausage started to deliver. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow & post it up.

Those fish aint half fighting hard !!! Amazing sport :D.

·
Registered
500 Posts
nice report iestyn, was nice to meet you for the first time! (beginning to get some names to faces now)

as a student, with such a diverse body clock, my day started a bit later than the other 3 guys... :p

i woke up late and first of all went to fresh west where i thought the guys would be, but i could see by the large swell that the place was unfishable. so i headed to bosh and after trecking most of the way around the place i found the lads (no signal there so had to find them!)

i joined steve and si in their peg and slyly got down the side of the peg and cast along the trees with my popper to start off. within a few casts i had an explosive take that missed, and on the same cast had another take but from a different fish. i was casting at the latter fish for a while and it must have went for it aobut 6 times but it never got hooked so we moved on. just before we moved, si had a nice fish follow him in but he ran out of room on the cast. the fish stayed there so si simply flicked it out again and the pike nailed it!

with the aid of super iestyn, it was landed. nice fish!

me and si then moved on and we had a few fish/missed takes between us, i cant remember how many i had and didnt take pics of my fish because they were of similar size and they arent the best out of the water, plus i didnt land most of them!! :p me and si both had a fish each of around the double mark, too. si's was landed but mine weeded me up in close as there was tonnes of the stuff on the surface. we then waited for the other two to catch us up on the bridge. si noted he'd had a perch here earlier in the day so he started trying for them. we could see loads of small perch around with the odd better one, he was getting plenty of follows and nips. i then whipped out a 2 inch agm grubtail on a small jighead and gave it to si, first chuck with it he got hit and it was hooked. it was a perch of just under 1lb but unfortunately came off as he was lifting it up. it had bitten the tail off the grub!!

so i gave him another one and i put one on too! we were both getting follows and i had one on aswell but it also came off as i was lifting it up. after this we decided to move on again around the last leg of the lake where the other two shortly caught us up. the action was still constant, with missed hits and a few fish landed... last knockings iestyn shouted "FISH!!" from the next peg so i went over and saw him having a right tussle with a decent pike, it had gone in and out of the lillies infront of him so he had to do a bit of pond gardening... and he finally landed it...

a great day again with the lads, weather was roasting too... cant ask for much more!!! oh, maybe not getting caught by the warden for the peg fee maybe but oh well... ;)

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Oh, and this may sound a bit barking, considering we had our rods 'seriously bent' into some big crocs . . . but, the farting around with tiny grubs & micro-lures for the little Perch . . . . was one of the best bits of the day :D. Ben & i were sitting on a bridge, with our legs dangling off the edge, giggling & sight casting for them - classic :D

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Iestyn,

This is the video, just click on it !

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Ah, the bent minnow. I had 2 Bass earlier on one..

Perch are beautiful fish to look at.

LRF ?

Well, it's not saltwater and Perch lure fishing is well established but to hell with it, why not.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well done lads, wish i could of made it, had family plans decided by the wife in the end( well painting and decorating the new house!)

·
Registered
932 Posts
As always a great report. You Welsh boys are doing the business. Fish caught, great reports, giggles and video. Add this to the Jersey catch forum (LRF/HRF & 31 bass in one session) and us English boys need to pull our fingers out!

LOVE the z-claw. If you were to glue a blonde wig to one and draw a pretty mouth on it then in all likelihood I'd probably leave my girlfriend for it.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Great reports and pics lads - well done. Looks like I missed a good trip DOH! Me & George will come next time!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great reports and pics lads - well done. Looks like I missed a good trip DOH! Me & George will come next time!
Pull your finger out then, Marc W will be there on Saturday and I will be there on Sunday, no excuses :wink:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts