The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well chaps after all of the replies to my last thread, "under rated lures", thank you all very much BTW I thought this one would probably be as if not more useful...

For me, a major let down has been the "IMA Nabarone 125S", I bought it as a sister lure to the Maria Chase, very similar in pattern but as it's a sinker I thought it would give me some more water to play with....

The problem is, there is no action to it, you crank it hard and nothing, you slow it down and nothing, you even try mixing up the two with twitches and pauses and still nothing (I'm not talking about fish here but the "action of the lure"), infact the only way I've managed to get any kind of fishiness is to slow it all the way down and walk the dog on the bottom which is a very silly thing to do over reef which kind of negated the point of buying it for me!!!

What have been your let downs in recent history?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Robert - I had an 'actionless' Smith Saruna lure this year. Turned out it was a dud, can and does happen. No idea why?

Anyway, was sent back and replaced with no problem whatsoever. I should think that yours could be a dud.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I've had a few dud softies but can't recall what they were. Just no action to them at all, small ready weighted things, looked perfect, felt a bit tough but the paddle didn't do a thing.

A hard which have done nothing for me, no action to them, just a piece of wood coming straight back, was the Squad minnow, didn't suspend, tracked way left and didn't wobble, I got 2 of them and both the same. Binned them.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Just to throw a spanner at this....

One of our best lures is essentially a stick with hooks. No visible action yet keeps on bassing.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Most people know I am no fan of Ima lures, and its not because I dont stock them, I did in fact first try some Ima lures a year and a half ago and as soon as I tested them I decided to cancel my order. The problem I had with them was they either didnt seem to have any action, or they were trying to be like lures that I already had but didnt do the job as well. What I would like to add to this though, and Keith brushed on it, is certain lures and situations dont actually need the action that many of us crave. Some techniques require very little action, and maybe Ima are targeting this style of lure more?

On the subject of it being a sinking lure, did you try it in a bit of deep water and actually let it sink for 5 to 10 seconds? An example of this with myself is how on the first time I tried the Tackle House Node I was appalled by its lack of action, it seemed to sometimes swim like a Tide Minnow or even Rudra, and sometimes it didnt. I was using it in Ireland in very shallow water strewn with bubble weed. I didnt order any more and never had much of a good word to say about them. I was telling a french friend about how much I love the sinking Tide Minnows and he asked if I'd tried the Node. He convinced me to try it and use it as the sinker that it is, and I am glad I did. Sinking lures need to sink.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
IMA Sasuke 105. Great action, great fish catcher. not sure about the others though. But saying that, the Sasuke 105 is pretty similar to a baby feed......

·
6,295 Posts
IMA Sasuke 105. Great action, great fish catcher. not sure about the others though. But saying that, the Sasuke 105 is pretty similar to a baby feed......
Some Ima stuff has great action Andy, Bob proved me wrong with catching first cast ever with a Popkey!! In all fairness the lures i tested were not the popular Ima lures that many people use.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
...certain lures and situations dont actually need the action that many of us crave. Some techniques require very little action...
Very good point that one guys. Everybody loves a big, wide wiggly bum lure but there are actually quite a few out there designed to have very subtle actions. I'm forever explaining in the shop that on flat calm days around here, almost the worst thing you can do is whack on your best looking (action wise) lure you've got as the chances are it'll actually just be too aggressive for the situation.

We'd be naive to think that we automatically know and understand what purpose a lure was designed for by the manufacturer. Lures can be so specific that with a lack of info out there about some lures, we could easily write loads and loads of lures off if we don't use them right. Its bound to happen from time to time with the amount of Japanese lures making it over here now.

With that in mind, there aren't really any I can think of that I've been truly disappointed with. None that I thought were going to be amazing (but weren't) anyway. The IMO Keep might be one that I was expecting something different from though. Seemed to have very, very little action, but to complimnt what I and **** was just saying, maybe it's designed to be like that?!... Saying that, its for us at the end of the day really to make the most of any lure we own. Regardless of what it's designed for, I'm sure almost every one of them will have it's time and it's place, no matter how aggressive or subtle the action is. The Tiemco VFM was another that I expected more from. I didn't know what it was going to be like in the water tbh, but I haven't yet used it 'correctly' to really even make it swim yet. Looking at the design I can forgive myself slightly, but it may just be me.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
If I remember rightly it was the Gene you were messin' with ****. I don't rate them too badly, but not the most aggressive of actions. Two years ago I'd hve been well unimpressed too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
sidewinders,any shape anyform any size, i put some serious hours in when i started out on my lurefishing addiction, for a while there was little else locally which wasnt a RAPALA J13, after numerous occasions, hours and marks i came to the conclussion i'd have more fun and more confidence in trying to work a 8oz grip lead in a twenty knot tide race.
I truely hate them, funny thing is i gaurantee that there has been some bought for me by some relation as a secret santa, happens every year.
Now i know there are those that swear by these lures, they have accounted for many an anglers pb,but for me they just dont jig

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Some Ima stuff has great action Andy, Bob proved me wrong with catching first cast ever with a Popkey!! In all fairness the lures i tested were not the popular Ima lures that many people use.
The Popkey and the K2 are super lures,but yes many of them just do the same job as others.
Another good thing is that they are tough.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Hmm Funny thread this,
****, You already know I rate the Node, don't get to fish it often as it is a sinker, but I love the reduced action. Takes are always gentle pick up's, rather than the bass smashing into it. But has saved me from blanking a few times, and is better than many lures when things get ROUGH.

Andy, Squad minnows in particular the 95mm in Ko Ayu caught me some good fish in September-Love them, Cracking jerk bait, that can be used with a straight retrieve.

As for IMA lures, te Komomo (1&2) and the Sasukes (95, 105 & 120) are worth using, and the Little Heavy Surf is awesome (when you need a warp speed retrieve), but the rest have left me cold. Many times I have checked out the actions online in video clips and crossed them off my list. Thing is many of the IMA lures are so job specific, that unless you know what they are for, odds are you wouldn't get on with them. Ima Calm is a good example, as a general lure it is pants-But used for what it was designed for, it is a cracking lure. But I really wish IMA would give people the infomation.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
IMA lures are so job specific, that unless you know what they are for, odds are you wouldn't get on with them. Ima Calm is a good example, as a general lure it is pants-But used for what it was designed for, it is a cracking lure. But I really wish IMA would give people the infomation.
I don't think its fair to single out IMA. Not many companies release 'how to fish it and where' info.

This is one area where Eging is miles ahead as many top brands of Egi come with lots of info or, the company provides it.

OSP and DEPS are very good with descriptive lure info imo.
I'm sure there are others.

When you develop as a lure angler, bib shape, roll, yaw, pitch etc all become important but you'll pick out what you need based upon experience.
Problem still remains in that you still have to buy the lure to run it.

Personally, I think British anglers are too focused on 2 lure types. Topwater and Finnish Minnows. 99% of what people carry falls into those categories.

Its all well and good having these lures but it's knowing when to use what that most struggle with.

Action ? If you dive, and I do, you'll soon realise that many peoples idea of action in a lure is way too aggressive.

·
6,295 Posts
I don't think its fair to single out IMA. Not many companies release 'how to fish it and where' info.
True Keith, but there has been alot of hype about Ima, and alot of it was from people that hadnt even tried them.

Action ? If you dive, and I do, you'll soon realise that many peoples idea of action in a lure is way too aggressive.
Also very true, I often recall to myself what fish looked like when I used to snorkel/dive, and it is very rare you see a fish do much more than a paddle tail softie does. I would admit though that big sandeels really do a good impersonation of a J13 when they are swimming against the tide!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Tend to agree Keith,
We do tend to focus on Minnows and topwater lures, something I am probably more guilty of than most, But I have always have a few (and ever growing number) of pencil baits, Wtd and now drift styles. Opens up alot more fishing than most people would believe. Also I believe that often bass that are reluctant to chase, will respond to the slower more natural action of a stickbait.
Of course once you start to open your eyes to these things, other things get harder to ignore-In my case soft plastics. Didn't understand them, can catch plenty of fish on hard baits-so being lazy I stuck with what I knew. But things are changing now, and not just for me. I think alot of bass fishermen are slowly enbracing newer (and older) types of lures and techniques.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Dave: All:

I am lucky in that I do get to try lots of lures (sometimes for free) from lots of various companies. Many are competing in nature.
I owe to those i test for to tell it, how it is, not gloss over it and be all nice just to receive even more lures.

Sometimes it hurts them, and yes, it's only my opinion but because I do test alot of stuff across a ton of different ground, I can often make comparisions other can't or, don't have time for.

There aren't many bad lures coming out of Japan (not knock offs, real Japanese Sea Bass lures) but many are starting to fall outside what is the British expected norm of what 'we think action should be'.

Dave, like myself has been on the stripers in the US and there are way, way more fish to target than we have.

However: They have groups of lures.

Here's a few.

Darters, Needles, Pencils, Little Necks, Gliders, ML Swimmers, Finnish Minnows etc etc...

They put up a catch report and say....

"We threw needles at montauk or, we chucked Darters at the Point" etc
Hardly ever a mention of the actual make. Strange eh ?

Well, not really.

See, they have a heritage and certain area's respond well to certain types of lures. All of these lures were 'developed' stateside, for their fish, and for certain scenarios and, the sharpies, just won't throw one over the other if the conditions don't match the design brief.

We say, oh yea, this MB XXX lure is the one, or the lip on this lure keeps busting but it's great ?? Most UK anglers use the 'same' confidence lure 'TYPE' regardless. i don't mean a megabass or a duo ore whatever, I mean type. If one top water isn't hacking it, most change topwater, and again, and again and change colour and then, blank. it happens.

The US striper men might swing a needle in fast current or work a pencil in far off surf or, swim a ML on the back of a wave or a rip. They use lure TYPES and their respective actions before changing size and colour.

Again, you just hear of this over there as the wheat is seperated from the chaff. If it breaks, don't throw it. If it's too expensive, don't throw it.
However...

Action is a manmade illusion. We seem hell bent on fancy actions and SP's are no different. Watch any promo SP video's and yet, I'm STILL to catch a fish like many are demoed.

There is much to be learned and I would love to see people carrying more 'mixed' bags of lures. I guess it will happen and with SP's, it is happening. Much faster than established hard lures which I find strange.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Ha finally thought of a lure for my personal box of doom. The MirrorLure TopDog, a surface lure that seems to catch the leader and little else. Every other lure works, when used the right way in the right place at the right time. I tend to find if I am not getting on with a lure - it is me that is doing something wrong-nothing wrong with the lure.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts