The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I was recently using PP 10lb test 0.15 Braid and decided to go up to 20lb test. I have just received my new 20lb test Braid from Veals and I was surprised to find that the line I have just bought looked as thin as the 10lb PP Braid I already have. When I checked they are both 0.15 Braid. How can they both be 10lb and 20lb test while they are the same dia' @ 0.15 ? Is there some mistake somewhere or can this be correct ? Veals 10lb test is 0.10 but the PP 10lb I already have is 0.15 - just like Veals 20lb test.:???:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hi Ray,

short answer is ..... dont' know. I would suggest you e-mail Veals' for a response to your query. I can recall that some time back there was a big "stink" about massive amounts of fake PP getting on the market....not that I am suggesting there is anything wrong at all with what you have.
Is one PP line "old", is one "new", do they have the same amounts of carriers' in the line construction etc?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I'm fairly sure the difference arises with some spools come in from the UK, and some Europe. There was a list on here that Vidar put up a while back that had the 'actual' diameters and breaking strains?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem is I can't remember where I bought my green 10lb PP..... I must make a concerted effort to find out where I bought it. I buy all of my gear from reputable/known shops and so I don't think there is a problem of fakery. I have mailed Veals and I'm waiting for a response. It's just a little strange that they are both the same diametre and one is double the BS of the other... ??

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought my 10lb 0.15 diametre Power pro from AGM. I just looked at their site and the 20lb PP Braid is down as 0.23 diametre, which makes it even more curious as to why the Veals PP Braid 20lb is only 0.15 .... ??? It's extremely odd that the same BS Braid from the same manufacturer is down as x2 different diametres from x2 different suppliers !

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I bought my 10lb 0.15 diametre Power pro from AGM. I just looked at their site and the 20lb PP Braid is down as 0.23 diametre, which makes it even more curious as to why the Veals PP Braid 20lb is only 0.15 .... ??? It's extremely odd that the same BS Braid from the same manufacturer is down as x2 different diametres from x2 different suppliers !
Ray,Vidars scale is totally correct.
Ignore what some of the dealers say in their adverts etc because the figures that they give are a mistake.
I have tested my own PP lines and .23 is exactly 20lbs and .19 is 15lbs.
Its still a mystery as to why they 'still' havn't corrected the figures.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ray,Vidars scale is totally correct.
Ignore what some of the dealers say in their adverts etc because the figures that they give are a mistake.
I have tested my own PP lines and .23 is exactly 20lbs and .19 is 15lbs.
Its still a mystery as to why they 'still' havn't corrected the figures.
Hi Nick. It's not just what the suppliers are 'saying' as all of the info' is printed on the PP packaging as well as on the actual spool. Where can I find Vidar's scale ?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Hi Nick. It's not just what the suppliers are 'saying' as all of the info' is printed on the PP packaging as well as on the actual spool. Where can I find Vidar's scale ?
Nick, is spot on the European metric labelling is totally out there and are not to be trusted in any shape of form.

Follow the original US Imperial labelling and you is on the safe side:

Dia 0.13mm = 8Ib breaking strain
Dia 0.15mm = 10Ib breaking strain
Dia 0.19mm = 15Ib breaking strain
Dia 0.23mm = 20Ib breaking strain
Dia 0.28mm = 30Ib breaking strain

Even on the metric labelled European spools of Power Pro you can find the original US braking strain (and spool content in yards) in very small writing if you look just to the right of the spool centre hole.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
********. Thanks Vidar. That means I've just bought and loaded onto my reel some more 10lb ! This is ridiculous.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This what Veals say:

"I have checked with Shimano UK and the labeling of the Power Pro we stock
appears to be correct. The 0.15mm is 20lb. I imagine that the confusion may be that the BS was originally in imperial,
as most US braids appear to be (ie Berkley), and that something was lost in translation..."

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
This what Veals say:

"I have checked with Shimano UK and the labeling of the Power Pro we stock
appears to be correct. The 0.15mm is 20lb. I imagine that the confusion may be that the BS was originally in imperial,
as most US braids appear to be (ie Berkley), and that something was lost in translation..."
Unfortunately, this problem has been around for years and even after the take over by Shimano it does not seem to change a bit. The fact of the matter is that the European metric breaking strains for exactly the same line diameter have suddenly increased by 30 to 40% when compared to the breaking strains they use in America.

Take a look at these tables from the Power Pro website and multiply the diameters stated in inches with 25 in order to convert them into diameters in millimetres. You will then see that diameter 0.006” or 0.15mm is in the US labelled as 10Ib but in metric it has suddenly achieved a 9 kilo breaking strain, which converted into Imperial is about 20Ib.

http://powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/powerpro/about/using_powerpro/specs.html

It goes without saying that one of the stated braking strains must be incorrect and more than a decade’s use Power Pro has thought me to trust the US labelling considerably more than the metric. I must also say I have seen quite a few independent line tests that clearly points to the fact that the US stated breaking strains are much closer to the truth than the metric conversion.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as I can recall there was a problem with labeling on

Here is the latest from Veals:

As far as I can recall there was a problem with labeling on
Power Pro but this has now been resolved and the diameters and breaking
strains now quoted are correct, well as correct as the understated diameters
and breaking strains on American lines normally are. If your original '10lb'
and the new '20lb' are the same diameter then I would say that you have two
spools of the same line and 0.15mm is more likely to be 20lb then 10lb.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts