Braid, fluro and whatKnot | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

Braid, fluro and whatKnot

Discussion in 'Tackle & Tips' started by {name}, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Blenny

I have just read Henry Gilbey's Fluro leader article, I haven't been tending to use one thus far as I have been using dark coloured braid. How ever, while picking something up at Prime Angling i was introduced to some sunline Pe-Egi braid at a stupidly low price. The only problem being its bright (really really bright) pink :shock: So i will need to be using a leader length of fluro (for my own piece of mind above anything else).

I have used the albright special Knot before and have been told its the standard, but just wanted to check what the general consensus on here is? as you all have a lot more knowledge than myself or most others i have spoken too.

also Henry only uses a short length of fluro so the knot is kept out of the rings( helps avoid wind knots I think he was saying) so any opions to help guide me on this would be great too.

Cheers in advance ( and sorry if this is in an old post I did have a brief look)

Theo

2. TLF Admin Staff Member

Looooaaaads of threads on this Theo.

For me, YGK G-Soul, Seagar Ace Hard and Yukatan knot :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Blenny

Pre caffeine forum trawling = epic dumb and blindness on my part:oops: I'll look harder next time.

Cheers Tim

4. Perch

The albright is ok but does suffer if you pass it thro rod rings a lot.

5. CoFounder & Retired Admin VIP Partner

The length of the leader generally is about 2-3ft, but can be much much longer if using thin braids whilst fishing in rough areas.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wrasse

I tend to use short leaders for LRF usually 12-24 inches of either Sunline Siglon FC or Smallgame using the Albright as it doesn't retrieve through the rod rings and it's neat with the fine lines. For all other stuff I use longer leaders between 3-5 feet of YGK Shore Leader depending on the length of the rod using the standard shock leader knot. I like Sunline and YGK FC's as they are reasonably priced and I frequently change leaders.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pike

For my light beach lure work last year I was using the Yucatan to attach 4lb FC to 6lb Sunline Super PE.

A good knot, pretty reliable but a pig to tie on the beach.

My son bought me one of these for Christmas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dXNefLX5n0

I have no idea what knot I am tying with this tool but
    4lb PowerPro Microline attached to 4lb Fulling Mill FC makes a great knot.

I cannot get it to break on a steady pull, or by jerking the lines either side of the knot.
    Must use 5 or 6 twiists.
    If you use 4, the knot snaps on tightening.

I like this little tool!

• Like Like x 3
  8. TLF Admin Staff Member

Where did he get it Steve? I was after one of those last year but gave up trying to find one in the UK.

9. Pike

10. Perch

Looks like you could make one of those out of a BIC pen and a crochet needle.....if you had one... Oops - Cheapskate alert - I'll get me coat :rofl:

11. TLF Admin Staff Member

Would they have Daiwa on them Graham? :D

Mind you, the hammering Daiwa's taken recently on here I might just be better scratching their name out :p

• Like Like x 1
  12. Perch

It's a shame I'm too much of a cheapskate to buy photoshop (or a crochet needle) - otherwise it could say Van Staal on it :-D .....and put it on ebay LOL

13. Senior Member

I have the Orvis version of that tool which ties about 12 or so different knots, that particular knot is an improved Surgeons knot, how it is improved over the original I have no idea. For Braid to Flouro I use the Yukatan knot.

14. Pike

I tend to use a 3ft seaguar flouro leader and and use an improved Albright to join the leader to braid, I'm very happy with this combination.

15. Striper

I'm going to test out the micro rings this season to attach leader to braid. As for being worried about the ring hitting the tip ring, I'm going to place 5mm of silicone tubing over the joint.

Tried it for the last couple weeks of last season and I was happy with it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Senior Member

I used to use the micro rings without tubing and never had a problem with them, even accidently going through the top ring, as long as you are gentle just let it back out the other side again, I used to check my top ring when I got back with a jewellers loupe and have never seen or felt any damage on the guide, I only stopped using them after being shown the Yukatan knot last year, I still have quite a few micro rings left so will probably use them again at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sea Trout

I trawled ebay and got one from Japan, arrived within a week :)

Mike