The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am waiting for my new rod to turn up (4-12g rated), already have a small reel, and goodies from AGM on the way. That just leaves line. I was looking at the Powerpro braid in 8lb so I can cover quite a few eventualities. I have a spare spool for the reel which is loaded with 6lb mono. Opinions on the suitability of these options or recommendations for alternatives please!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Tim,
I have been using 10lb PP with jigs/dropshotting. Has proformed perfectly. I would concider dropping to 8lb, as PP seems to knots so well.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tim,
I have been using 10lb PP with jigs/dropshotting. Has proformed perfectly. I would concider dropping to 8lb, as PP seems to knots so well.
Cheers, Dave. I'm canvassing opinion here as all this is a bit new to me!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
No worries Tim,
You will be surprised how far you can cast a 2" grub on a 1.5g jighead with light PP. It has been good stuff so far.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hi Tim,
I can vouch for 10lb Powerpro, have been using it for trout fishing with Ultralite lures for a few years. Never had a wind knot or any issues at all. Will be interested to see what your new rod is like, they look very tempting.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You & I both waiting for the same things Tim. Ordered my rod on Sat and got the AGM order off today.
I still got to sort a reel though, think I'm gonna get something cheap(ish) for now.
Facing a bit of a dilema, local tackle shop has got a nice looking Quantum and some Awa Shima reels, but the guys a total tool! It's all I can do to spend more than 10mins in the shop. Needs must I guess.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeremy, I posted a thread last week re Shimano Exage 2500RB for £29 plus carriage...?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
You & I both waiting for the same things Tim. Ordered my rod on Sat and got the AGM order off today.
I still got to sort a reel though, think I'm gonna get something cheap(ish) for now.
Facing a bit of a dilema, local tackle shop has got a nice looking Quantum and some Awa Shima reels, but the guys a total tool! It's all I can do to spend more than 10mins in the shop. Needs must I guess.
I've got an Exage 2500 FA that I don't really ever remember using if you want it Jez!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think I'm going to wait til I get the rod and try a few reels in the shop. Want to see how small I dare go. Did wonder about trying 1000 size, but will see when the rod arrives. And I reely ( see what I've done there!! ) fancy a front drag.
Anyhow, back to the OP who's got 10 lb power pro at thebest price at the moment?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AGM as always. £13.50 for 150 yards. I went for the 8lbs!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Mark - always good to get confirmation.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I carry a gear bag in the car with six reels and four spare spools with various braids and monos fitted. (Reels do not have to be expensive either)

For ultra light SPing Iam using .06 to .13 braids with 8lb to 14lb fluro leader, and 3lb mono with 5lb fluro leader or 5lb mono with 8lb fluro leader. This is all dependant on mark and conditions.

You can vary the sink rate of your light SP by using thicker or thiner braid, (the thinner you go the faster the sink rate). If you require very fast sink rate with say a jighead and SP that weigh less than 3g then go to mono.

Hope this helps,

Chris

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Blinding Chris - thanks. This is just the sort of info I need as I am just starting out. I don't have that many reels etc but I do have a spare spool so will have a couple of options. looking at fishing in the 3-10g range.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Jeremy, I posted a thread last week re Shimano Exage 2500RB for £29 plus carriage...?
Tim, where's that post? I'm interested because......

AGM as always. £13.50 for 150 yards. I went for the 8lbs!
I went for some 8lb PP too, not of AGM - they didn't have any in - ordered mine off weebay.

cheers.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I'm using 10lb braid on a 1000 size shimano and it seems fine for 1g heads with a mini shad which my scales give at 1.1g. Managed well IMO as it was really windy but still copeable

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
I'll have a look around for a 1000 size, I had hoped to hang with my bushwhacker for a while though. Even if they're stupidly out of balance it'll be lighter...:muhu:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts