The Lure Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you guys recommend as a reliable knot, for joining a floro' leader to braid mainline? I've always used a Albright knot.
I've upgraded from PowerPro 0.23mm to Powershot 25lb (0.15mm) but I've heard that the 8-strand will cut through the floro' eventually.
I've seen somewhere that if you double up on the braid and tie a albright knot this would do the job, would you recommend this?

Many Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have 25lb powershot on a reel Steve, but continue to use the albright with no problems whatsoever. I have however recently started fishing with a PE1 braid that is X8, and I could see this slicing through, so I double that when tying.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I use a double uni knot, snug it down tight and put a spot of glue on it-no worries about braid cutting through.

·
Registered
364 Posts
i just up graded to powerpro 20lb from whiplash 20lb. i also went for a 20lb flouro rather than the usual 15lb mono. i hadnt had any problems with the prev combo for a long time - no wind knots or snap offs.

sun am locally - went out at 4.30 - new pp and flouro on tied up with an allbrite - snapped off on third cast and lost newish tide minnow sld... gutted. then 20 mins later snapped off using an xlayer and 7g jig head. pulled the other allbrite through easily (would have been another snap off) on the spare reel. back to the van for a cuppa and brekka to re-group. f%^&*ng ran out of gas on stove so no coffee. thought i'd just call it a day and go home to bed at 7.00 - just driving up the road and saw a lovely 3 lb bass jump out of the water right in front of me..... tied up again but tide raced out too fast for me (new waders hadnt come yet....) on the positive side I found my tide minnow and leader on the beach...

i might have a look at ***** improved allbrite before i go out next time....

·
Registered
894 Posts
Just wondering, do any of you fish without a leader, just straight through to the clip or link and the lure?
Dont know if its right or wrong Mark but i fish braid straight through to a link, not had any problems so far.....

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Hi Steve,

I have used the J knot without any worries. Never had the knot slip or the braid cut through -

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/article/Gear-and-Techniques/Two-New-Knots

Cheers
Jonathan
I tried that one last inght putting my new leader on, a bit tricky with an 8ft leader but doable. Finished it off with a few half hitches either side, looks good!

Just wondering, do any of you fish without a leader, just straight through to the clip or link and the lure?
ok if there's no kelp or rocks about, you might be asking a bit much of your braid in those situations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts