The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, recently joined up and been having a read through some interesting threads about lure clips.

I have just got a new reel and was wondering your preferred way to set it up, many varying opinions so far. I have set it up at the moment with 20lb straight through to a swivel to a 2 foot flouro rubbing with a lure clip on the end.

After reading through here I am thinking of changing it. I was thinking maybe: Braid onto a small split link then on each lure put a flouro rapala loop (4-5 inch?) then to a lure clip. That way leaving the lure in the loop and leaving me a 1 foot rubbing leader and still quick to change.

Any advice or links to other threads appreciated.

Thanks, Bryan.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bryan.

Well, I don't know whether I am right or wrong in this, as I am not exactly a "seasoned pro" but I dont use any metal link between my braid and leader. I tie my braid to my leader and then use a JB no.3 link swivel to connect to my lure. Unless I am using soft plastics, then I will connect the leader material direct to the hook. Its only with SP's that I will put a swivel of any kind away from the hooks, so to speak.

The JB's are really good. Because they're so small for their strength, they fit nicely thru the eyes of my rods. As such, when i go fishing, I just thread the link swivel and line thru the eyes, clip on a lure and fish. At the end of the session, I simply unclip the lure, close the clip up again and gently wind the last of my line back onto the reel, clip the leader on the spool pack up and go home. "Keep things as simple as possible", was about the best bit of advice I was given about all types of fishing.

Hope this has been of some help Bryan and good luck mate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Andy, thanks for the reply. Do you not subscribe to the theory that the clip directly to the lure can upset the balance and action?

My thoughts were to do it a bit backwards by pre-tying every lure with a loop connected to a clip then having the small split link on the braid to quickly attach it to. Leaving every lure free to move in its rapala loop and with a clip for easy changing?

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I do virtually the same as Andy. Double uni knot from braid to around 2-3 ft of flouro and just a small clip (small duo lock snap) to the lure.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yep, I do subscribe to that theory. But I try and weigh up the weight and shape of the clip itself against the weight and size of the lure. I don't know how much these JB's weigh, but it must be a phenominally tiny amount. Also, because they are so small, yet fairly long (doesn't get in the way of the lures bib etc) I dont think they actually cause any harmful effects and certainly haven't affected my fishing. If anything, they have made it that much less hassle at the start and finish of a session.

I have put a photo in here - and I hope it comes out - of a pound coin, a JB number 3 link swivel and a Varivas Big Mouth 1/o hook. That way, you can get an idea of the size of the link swivel and why it doesn't seem to upset my lures action. Look how thin the wire of the link is compared to the 1/o hook. Yet the breaking strain of the link is 18kg / 40lbs. I hope that once you see how smaal but strong these links are, you will see why they dont overly affect the performance of my lures too, Bryan.

I do foresee a slight problem with having all those loops and hooks in the same area tho Bryan. Even in a proper lure box with all the lures full segregated, I still see those loops getting caught up with the trebles.
Dont get me wrong tho, I am not dissing your idea. I am just saying that for me, it would cause a degree of irritation that I dont welcome when fishing ;)

Attachments

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bryan.

Well, I don't know whether I am right or wrong in this, as I am not exactly a "seasoned pro" but I dont use any metal link between my braid and leader. I tie my braid to my leader and then use a JB no.3 link swivel to connect to my lure. Unless I am using soft plastics, then I will connect the leader material direct to the hook. Its only with SP's that I will put a swivel of any kind away from the hooks, so to speak.

The JB's are really good. Because they're so small for their strength, they fit nicely thru the eyes of my rods. As such, when i go fishing, I just thread the link swivel and line thru the eyes, clip on a lure and fish. At the end of the session, I simply unclip the lure, close the clip up again and gently wind the last of my line back onto the reel, clip the leader on the spool pack up and go home. "Keep things as simple as possible", was about the best bit of advice I was given about all types of fishing.

Hope this has been of some help Bryan and good luck mate.
I would avoid using a swivel etc to connect the leader to the braid as this in my experience will affect the way the lure works (you wont get the best of it) even more than a link swivel will on the end of the leader.
The join needs to be a knotted one using something like a uni-uni or albright knot preferably doubled up on the braid.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I'd agree sround avoiding the swivel. Try connecting the braid to the fluoro with a reverse albright knot - they seem to hold better. Also having used various clips with swivels built in, such as teh JB which is superb, I now simply tie on a clip such as the decoy egg clip. Th elack of a swivel appears to make zero difference.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Braid-Double Uni Knot-3' of Fluro-Palomar Knot-Clip-simple and strong. Also the less bulk on the connections, the less weed those connections will collect.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Hey Bryan. I would also shed the swivel - hardware that isn't really needed. If you like the idea of connecting lures without metal clips, have a look at the Whittingham loop on Youtube. This enables you to gain the advantage of the lure on a loop, without having to rig up various lures with loops beforehand.

Have a look HERE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Bryan. I would also shed the swivel - hardware that isn't really needed. If you like the idea of connecting lures without metal clips, have a look at the Whittingham loop on Youtube. This enables you to gain the advantage of the lure on a loop, without having to rig up various lures with loops beforehand.

Have a look HERE

Just watched it now and really like the look of that one. I see Frank didnt use any sort of leader, would you still recommend a 1-2foot flouro leader and tying the loop into the flouro?

I have also ordered some JB clips to try as Andy recommended.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I dont use the loop personally, but I always without fail use a leader of two foot or so of good fluorocarbon. I do it for the visibilty issues and abrasion resistance. I cannot see why the loop would not work tied with mono as opposed to braid, just have to be a little more gentle maybe.

That loop is certainly better than having to lose 6 inches of fluoro everytime you want to change a lure when using Rapala loops for example.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I was interested in that loop too. Especially the little tag of braid the guy used with which to loosen it off again. I may well end up using it in the future, but only on calm days. I have noticedthat whilst trying to cast into this wind, I have caght the hooks of my lures - a lot - on the leader. Even with the barbs crushed, in failing light, I see myself getting in a right mess if that happened to me with braid, rather than a "monofil" leader of somekind.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Last year I stopped using a swivel before the lure. I now tie the flouro to the braid and that's it. I tend not to change lures that much anyway and after say two or three trips I replace the flouro. I use a long flouro leader about 2m and find that I can still cast where I want to (which is not very far with some of the light plastics I tend to use this year) but then the fish I target are usually very close in.
I also used lure clips but found they messed up the action of the plastic at times. As to line twist I find that is not a problem and as I read somewhere swivels will not have any effect as they will be 'under pressure' and not able to turn easily. Even when I whack out a bass wedge for mackerel I find line twist to be minimal if at all.

Nick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts