The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
comming from the swff world and new to the lure,

Does anyone join their leader to braid by using the loop to loop system?

Is it a bad idea?

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Not heard of that one for this application.

Most popular seem to be uni to uni; slim beauty or improved albright.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Simon,
I use a bimini to a blood knot. hope this helps.....:-D

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
hi mate i had the same prediciment, though after going through differing knots someone here suggested the improved albright so i tried it and i have looked back since mate.
I did try loop to loop conections though just didnt sit right ofr some reason i use non slip mono loops and over hand though just didnt feel right with the albright i had more feel on the braid or maybe thats just me?

check it out here

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/fishing_knots/knots_imp_albrt.html

i have been using this for backing to braid and braid to leader with no issues at all.
hope this helps

tight lines.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Like you Simon I had problems with leader knots which I found very frustrateing with them comeing loose after a while, have now settled with the uni-uni knot, works for me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
comming from the swff world and new to the lure,
Does anyone join their leader to braid by using the loop to loop system?
Is it a bad idea?
Yes - if you use thin braid you risk it slicing through the fluoro leader. Its not the best idea for SW fly fishing either - but that's another story...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I will 2nd what neil said there mate untill you get it right it's a bugger though once right it is the easiest knot ever to tie mate.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes - if you use thin braid you risk it slicing through the fluoro leader. Its not the best idea for SW fly fishing either - but that's another story...
Yes thought that may be the case, I always use that system for ff , but as you say that's another story.

Thanks for the info regarding knots.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
If your going to use loop to loop connections for anything in saltwater (ie fish that fight) then bimini the braid, the twist the loop, about 100 times, the tye a uni knot in it, this gives a thicker loop in the braid, and reduces the chances of cutting through your loop. Also worth mentioning that braided mono loops (50lb test version) double nail knotted and then coated in Aquasure. Will form a loop to loop system that will even handle tuna/marlin.

Reactions: simon d

·
Registered
431 Posts
Double uni knot sometimes known as the double grinner knot.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If your going to use loop to loop connections for anything in saltwater (ie fish that fight) then bimini the braid, the twist the loop, about 100 times, the tye a uni knot in it, this gives a thicker loop in the braid, and reduces the chances of cutting through your loop. Also worth mentioning that braided mono loops (50lb test version) double nail knotted and then coated in Aquasure. Will form a loop to loop system that will even handle tuna/marlin.
Ahhh... Bimini.... such fun!!! ;)

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Cliff,
Bimini's are easy after the first 2 or 3 (hundred)!!!
Not ending up covered in Aquasure however is a skill I have never managed to master!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts