The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just thought I would share this, after years of using them for flyfishing leaders it made sense to try the same system with braid to mono . I have now fished like this for around 3 months . I have left a few big bass wearing surface plugs for jewelery thanks to bad or frayed braid to fluro knots over the years . I had given up with shock leaders based on my bad experiences.

Im using the Riverge 3 mm leader rings to connect braid to mono. They will go up through the rings , but I do try to avod doing so. I fish a fluro leader around 2 1/2 foot long so I can cast without winding the ring past the tip

The advantages are that it is 100 % strong and reliable. What I do is pre tie shock leaders with rings on and then store them in plastic sleeves. That way when I snap a leader I can quickly replace the shock . That was great the other day as the light was fading.

Its been 3 months not 3 years so perhaps I may find fault in the system

Hers the link . I sell them so its up to you to decide if this is a promo or me sharing at tip ! http://www.uksaltwaterflies.com/acatalog/Riverge_Rings.html
At £1.50 per pack I am not going to get rich from this !

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have used these in the past for fishing teams of flies with no issues. In fact they are excellent in my opinion. Though i use the improved albright now and i have only had 1 leader snap thus far. With the added weight of the plug i wouldnt trust them with the casting involved though i may stand corrected on this.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Austin, so its basically a 3mm ring to each the leader and braid are tied to?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Austen,
They look like a good idea for someone that strugggles tying a leader to their braid. But it is worth mentioning that the connection will still only be as strong as the knots used. Would be interesting to see if you could tye a doubled Bimini loop (like you would in making up a big game fly leader) in the braid and be able to loop them on and off. Would be an advantage in those moments when you know should tye a new leader on, but the bass are breaking in front of you.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Mike, yeap, 3mm ring to which both the leader and the maninline are tied.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Probably a promo and a tip but on balance I don't think any dealers will be too fussed as they will make a lot more from replacing tip rings goosed by clumsy users LOL.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I tend to go for very simple very strong systems. I ust use a regular blood knot on the rings (I do double up the braid )

Those Riverge rings are almost unbreakable. I use them for Permit fishing where you avereage 1 fish per week so thats a testament to my faith in them ! I could tow my boat with them !

When i fly fish for tarpon I fish 80 lb Fluro shock connected to a 50 lb Butt secton !! (without leader rings I should add )

I may be a member of the IGFA but Im never gonna get a record , fishing like a thug :-D

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Austen,
I would be very wary of using them in a leader set up for Permit, They are spooky enough to start with, risking flash off a ring in the leader system isn't going to help your chances.
3/4 to 1 fish per week?? Keys fishing I assume, Try Cuba, Rio de Jardinas, more fish, less pressure. I see you stock Tim Borski's DVD, His flies ROCK-Anyone thinking of tying their own bonefish flies should buy those dvd's, you will end up with some of the best bonefish, permit and tarpon flies around, designed to be used on the most pressured flats fish in the world.
If you get out to the Keys, see if you can find Bob Trosset-He will show you how to catch LOTS of permit on fly-he drives the purists crazy.

Straight through rigs for tarpon, I know its tempting, but it is very easy for angler or the fish to break a rod, you will never get 12lb of pressure on a tarpon with a fly rod, Let alone 20lb so why take the risk?? If you are having problems landing fish, try using Billy Pates trick of reshaping the hook point to a cutting point-it makes a world of difference. I landed 21 out of 27 jumped one morning in Cuba thanks to this trick-50lb average size-fun on a #10 weight.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ive fished for Permit in ....

Cuba x 1 day = blanked
Venezuala x 6 days = Blanked
belize x 5 days=2
Mexico x 8 days = 1 landed and 2 lost + 1 hooked up the arse
Seychelles x 25 days ?? = Blanked

Im not planning on writting any how to fly fish for Permit books !! :-?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Austen,
Permit are like that, I know guys who have spent tens of thousands of dollarsand weeks and weeks of their lives trying to get a flats Permit. Easily the most differcult flats fish to land, even hooking them should be seen as a partial victory-most people just don't understand how hard it is to set up a shot at permit and get the fly into the right area without spooking the fish.
And the really hard thing to swallow is with a live dollar crab, they can be almost a fish a cast if you know where to go. Permit easily get my vote as the most challanging sportfish on fly in the world.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tim he designed my logo and yes he has been agreat influence in the world of fly fshng . I fished the Keys for a few days it was a learning curve ! I used one piece loomis crosscurrent 10 # rods . They were the best rods I have ever held

I fish for tarpon in Costa Rca with 14 # Big Game fly rods its the only way you can land them in less than an hour. The waters 30 foot deep.

One day last year I felt lazy. I had a 100 lb suffix zippy leader on the rod. I thought about changing it for Flurocarbon but decided not to bothrer. I had an aggresve take from a Big T (130 - 150 ) The leader frayed and broke within a split second !

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Austen,
Permit are like that, I know guys who have spent tens of thousands of dollarsand weeks and weeks of their lives trying to get a flats Permit. Easily the most differcult flats fish to land, even hooking them should be seen as a partial victory-most people just don't understand how hard it is to set up a shot at permit and get the fly into the right area without spooking the fish.
And the really hard thing to swallow is with a live dollar crab, they can be almost a fish a cast if you know where to go. Permit easily get my vote as the most challanging sportfish on fly in the world.
Tour operators tip toe around the reality that the permit is one of the hardest fish to catch , they drive you nuts !!

If average Joe knew the truth abouth catch / blank ratios with the Permit they would possibly reconsider that trip to the flats. In fishing people believe what they want to or we want them to believe. You see the photo of the guy holding the big Permit. It captures your imagination. You dont watch a video for 12 hours of a guy standing on the front of a boat waiting to cast at a fish that spooks as soon as it lays its eyes upon you pathetic looking woolen offerng that smells of sun tan lotion !;-)

On a positive note Im off to Cayo Romano next May on Spring tides and my mate had a couple of HOGS!! there last year. m gonna rig a 10 ' wth 30lb Seguar leader for those

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I have to say Tim Borski is nothing less than genius when it come to bonefish flies, I remember when the Slider first appeared on the flats scene some 15 odd years ago-a massive step forward in bonefish designs, smart use of materials made his flies more attractive to the fish and easier for the angler to use.

Hooking and playing tarpon is always interesting-Hard compound SeaGuar flurocarbon is the only way to go. No other leader material comes close for Tarpon, or Billfish or in fact any species when damage to the shock leader is expected. Not much you can do with them if the go deep in 30' of water-fly rods just don't do lift well.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Cayo Ramano, Should be good I have seen the flats north of there on the way across the causeway-heading for Jardinas.
Best of luck, with years of experience I know the Sea Guar won't let you down.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Its mad youve posted this austen,i was lookin through the pockets of old wading jacket that i used to use on the dee last week and found 2 packets of the riverge rings and the same idea came to mind.Im goin to use them next season for sure.
cheers daz

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
most tackle shops sell rig rings in oval, micro, mini and small sizes, about £1 for a pack of 10. I use the small ones to join braid to leader for the sea. For freshwater, the oval ones are very good and I use them to connect braid to wire. there's been a few threads recently discussing braid to leader knots and the use of rig rings. There seems to be mixed opinions about using them but I think they produce a very strong connection and provided your used to using them and dont pull them through the tip ring (too often) they're good to use IMHO. Being used to freshwater luring and the need for wire traces, I guess I'm used to remembering not to retrieve too much.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts