The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi my new shim2500 reel just arrived can anyone recomend a decent braid around 6-8lb i think for lrf?, iv been using power pro on my pluggin rod and had no probs so that was my 1st thought, thanks

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I think LRF is where decent braids come in to their own. PP would do the job, but if you can talk to **** about something like the Yamatoyo stuff then it will do a better job overall. the lower diameter makes casting very light weights much easier. Yamatoyo is a very decent step towards the super fine Japanese 8 strands, without being so expensive or hard to get hold of.

Reactions: Carl B

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
About £20 I think? Can't quite remember cos I got mine ages ago. Only 150m mind, so its more expensive than PP, but you'll notice the quality if you do step up.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Blimmin 'ell!!!! Back of a lorry it was then!! lol

Still worth it tbh. Puts it in the same price range as the 8 strand Varivas, just with different properties.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can you tell big diff for the extra £12 keith or is the pp fine, got bargain on the reel of fleabay?

·
Registered
932 Posts
SRP for 8lb Yamatoyo is £33. Mr Fish had some, not too sure if he has any left though.

Carl why don't you the get the PP first and see how you get on with it before making the step up and spending a bit more? I've got nothing but love for PP. Brilliant stuff at good price.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't know the Yamatoyo 8 lbs braid, but obviously it's blue and rated PE 0.8 and sells for around 33 pounds (and is probably a 4 carrier).

However, have a look at the Sunline Cast Away 10 lbs: 8 braid (4x PE and 4x PET), rated PE 0.6 and sells for $ 42 with free shipping (current rate for the British Pound being roughly $ 1.50) and has a pearl blue colour. Seems like a better deal to me (bought there before, never had any trouble).

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUNLINE-CAST-AW...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23067a45b6

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Just sneaking in with an alternative - Jerry Brown Line One Solid in 10lb is a good cheap alternative - been testing alot of JB hollow and solid braid and its becoming a firm fave! (oh and you can get it in different colours too!)
Any ideas on diameter mate? (Being from the US I guess it may need converting from inches?)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
going to to ***** tomorrow after work and have a nosey, thanks for all the advice guys

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
settled on some rovex viros 10lb after some advice, going to look at the yam braid in lower brk strain when i get the spare spools sorted out, thanks again

1 - 19 of 19 Posts