The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I have a question for you, I have heard repeated references to braid suffering from problems with shock/impact loading, when compared to mono's.
My question is basically "WHAT???"
If we take 8lb braid, and 8lb mono and apply a shock/impact load to both equal to less than 8lb then they won't break, however if we apply an shock/impact load greater than 8lb then both will break. So what am I missing??? Yes the mono will strech more than the braid prior to failure, but the results above will hold true.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I think its the speed at which the load is applied. the fact that the mono will stretch a little means that it takes longer for the load to be applied. a longer length of mono will survive a higher shock load than a shorter length, for the same reason. It's a combination of the load and the speed it's applied that causes the line to break. If you cast and the line tangles, the chances are that the load will not reach it's peak with mono because the shock absorbition of the mono compared to the braid.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Now i maybe off track here but this is my feeling on the matter, correct they will both break if overloaded ect though the mono will stretch and lose integrity initself. Though the braid will just break. So with this in mind i would rather have the braid break during casting. opposed to the mono stretching and just holding until i have a fish on with extra pressure and then break leaving a fish with a lure lip piercing.
The main pressure will be applied through the rod / line no matter what type during the cast as the rod loads and prepares to uncoil the kinetic energy stored during compression. Thus the distance reached with transferance of the energy. Now with this in mind the mono will stretch and return to roughly the original diameter give or take a couple of "thou".
The braid will not stretch during the loading process remaining the same diameter.

Leaving the mono weakening during each and every cast versus braid no stretch = no change.

Now take into account the shock / rubbing leader of fluro or mono with braid does the leader absord and stretch on the cast and weaken each time? How many times have people lost fish due to leaders breaking as opposed to braid after not changing the leader on a regular occurence?
Food for thought, please correct me if i am wrong on this matter.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Hi Mike,
I think you'll find that unless you take the mono past it's elastic limit it will return every time to it's original diameter. That's the one saving grace with mono until it reaches its elastic limit it will not snap. Unless you exert a continous tensile strain on the line the loading will be absorbed and reduced during the stretch.
I would agree with Adrian when braid is tested under shock loading it fails well before the maximum load when applied steadily. I've used braid on beach casters and on odd occasions have had birds nests. Almost with out exception the braid, which is more than twice the breaking strain of the mono I use, snaps where as the mono doesn't.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys,
Thanks for your comments- My problem is 8lb braid will fail at 8lbs, be that load applied slowly or quickly, or it would be rated for a lower breaking strain. The mono will also fail at 8lb whether the load is applied quickly or slowly. Yes Mon's strech will allow you to get closer to that limit and get away with it. But it doesn't change the laws of physics. Breaking strain is breaking strain.
Totally with you Trev on the beachcasting, it does appear that braid breaks during the cast easier than mono, but the forces applied during casting 5oz are massive when compared to the breaking strain of the lines-hence the use of leaders. But winding the braid on to the spool under proper tension, and keeping that tension sorts out the problems.
I have put some pretty heavy impacts on braid over the years-High speed surface lures in the tropic for example, where you are winding as fast as you humanly can, only for the lure to be hammered by a decent fish. But I have never had braid just break on a impact, and I do tend to fish heavy drags for tuna/jacks/GT's etc.

So I still don't get it??

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Ur quite right dave that if you reach the breaking strain of both lines, both will brake. But, in use, with the same amount of energy available, say generated through a cast, the energy is absorbed by the mono by causing it to stretch whereas the braid doesn't stretch, doesn't absorb energy, and so all the energy is used to break the braid.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THANK-YOU Adrian,
Now that does make sense to me.
Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts