The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...

This is new stuff bream on the lures I think, I know Keith has mentioned it in passing.

This year I found several of these guys while bait fishing for bass, this one went 5-10-4 and was so powerful I couldn't beleive it. 40 yard first run against my 525 Mag on serious drag and 30lb mono line and a buckled bass rod unable to do anything

Where am I going with this??

Well...

I had all of them in the same spot, 2 of them on the exact same tide state and conditions so I have reason to beleive that this will give me an opportunty to target them specifically next spring.

Question is. Will they take a lure :wackit:

And what kind of lure, and will my little shukan or infeet be able to do anything if I do hook one. The smallest one I had this year was 3-5 and I can easily compare it to an 8+ bass on a bass rod.

I know guys fish for them in Salcombe estuary etc but I guess like me they are all on crab baits?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Your image isn't working m8 but I'm assuming its a gilthead from the image header.

I have had a Bream, a black bream on a lure, at night.
First one I've ever heard of in our waters.

Bream are, certainly targeted elsewhere in the world especially Australia.

Small floating lures 30-50mm fished pull and rise.

I'm getting all kitted up for it.

At night, so I'm told, Bream lift off the bottom in general to mid-water suspend.
This could be an advantage as getting a 4cm plug down to Bream depths requires extra
assistance normally. Getting a slow rise with all that peripheral gear attached would be
very difficult.

Next season, Big Wrasse, Bream, Trigger-Fish...
would love to tangle with a big starry smoothy on a tube bait or something.
I'm sure it can be done.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see it??

Anyway, yes, gilthead. I'll re-link it elsewhere in a mo.

They are in water which I guess isn't much more than 8-10ft deep, heavy weed cover in some places but generally OK to lure fish, had a 6-0 bass on lures in the same area (at night) and bass over 8lb on bait.

The ones I have had were all on soft velvet crabs.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
My Injection is twitching just lookin at the Gilt head. Might have to get the Madaiis out and go looking around the SW next season.

What time of year was that Andy? I remember you posted on WSF.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry. Another question. These chaps have been known to bite sakuma manta extra hooks in half and I have lost fish biting through 30lb mono trace with an 8/0pennell.

So... Do I just hope for a lip hookup if I get a take?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
There is a real case for circle hooks with Bream.

Is it practical for lures though ? I can't answer that.

I do know that circle hooks, used correctly and some species (dogfish especially) can result in
near 99% lip hooking. Tried it for Bass too, seems ok. Wrasse, not so imho.

I'd still say try it though. Go for a heavier wire just in case. VMC do some nice ones.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I have fished for bream in Australia and they readily take lures. they are fished for with very light plugs and soft plastics. None of the fish I caught, saw caught or heard of were anywhere the size of that gilthead so although the techniques might work, the tackle would need stepping up a bit!!! It has to be worth pursuing. A couple of bream web sites in OZ worth looking at are B.R.E.A.M. and Ausbream.
They fish for them a fair bit in Japan too but unless you have access to Japanese translation it might be difficult to get info.
Good luck.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Lots of success early this year with a jackson ra pop - mebarus and hotarus suspending and floating - over an abandoned oyster farm but then the rain came!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
where was that Jim ?

The R A pop is a good one but a bit big don't you reckon ?

Mine is 70mm and a clear/silvery blue back, pink pop head. BRB colour code I think.
Never got to try our Oyster beds as I caught my Bream too late on to figure out the
Oyster bed/Bream thing. This said, those Aussie beds are tiny exposed Oysters.
Ours are reared in bags. Our mussels are similarly protected when small enough too.

Damn shame.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I was wondering if any of the products on this site might be useful, most seem to be geared to Japanese Bream/heavy rock fish
I thought the Igail,Tankny,Firefly and Medamanrock looked like they might be useful.

http://www.aguajapan.com/

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
jim said:
Lots of success early this year with a jackson ra pop - mebarus and hotarus suspending and floating - over an abandoned oyster farm but then the rain came!
Around Sydney, Australia where I fished most of the productive places were natural oyster beds, and on the videos I have they actively target commercial oyster racks during bream tournaments. The oyster racks/beds are bait magnets and highly productive. If you look on the Australian tackle websites they have masses of lures both hard and soft that have been specifically developed to target bream.

This is worth a look and has some bream dvds too www.motackle.com.au

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Will take a look for some smaller hard bodied lures, shallow divers for the area I am thinking of.

It's odd as there are 4 areas I know which produce the gilts

1. one of them just smaller ones up to about 4lb or so. It's maybe up to 15 to 20 ft deep at high water, lots of weedy areas and rocks but with a muddy worm bed and freshwater outflow.

2. Similar ground, no freshwater that is obvious (not to say there isn't something going in unseen), but deeper, barren ground.

3. Sandy patches with rocky areas and gullies, shallow again,

4. Very mixed ground, lots of loose rocks, vraic patches and the clear ground is gravelly muddy horrid sh1te. Shallow again, 15ft max when you're fishing it.

none of those areas seem to have anything special about them but not many gilts had outside those areas though Sausage may know otherwise as he's more into the other species hunting club.

One thing to note is the 14lb'er taken in a commercial gill net last year when I was fishing it within the range of the rods off the shore... would be Guernsey record, CI record, British record... But the fight to land the 5-10, how on earth would you stop a double??

I Like that MoTackle site, the idea of pre-selected packs of lures for different species is a great idea. ****... Would be nice to see some selection packs in that style maybe, but as we have limited species, more like a pack for shallow work, one for surface and one for general/beginners. one for boats, bass/pollack?? Just an idea.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think you should be in with a good shot mate.
I have had 2 small giltheads both about a pound while plugging in spain.
Both where taken bottom bumping and slow rising a smaller size (maybe 100mm?) maria la segunda.
These where both taken accidentally while bassing along with another bream species (dentex in spain) in shallow water, maybe 3ft going down to 6 in the gutters.
Keeping the lure bumping the bottom with short pauses to let the lure rise slowly before repeating seemed to work, have plugged quite a bit out there and have not had even a sniff of a bream until I tried this method.
Am going to give it a proper go when i have my next trip out there towards the end of march so i will let you know if i find anything that may be of help.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice one. thanks for that. I'll give it a bach, maybe with SP's on a leadhead and bump it along as it's rather snaggy where I want to try (to the point of losing too many for me to risk trying it) for a deeper diving lure.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sounds like a plan.
One of my plans of attack will be a floating SP carolina rigged worked in bursts with long pauses.
Will be interesting to hear how you get one, wish there was a few to target up this way as they are a lovely fish.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts