The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only ever had some rubberised waders which have had it. And so I've been looking into getting some breathables but seem to be lacking some gen. All the sites I've looked at seem to be selling/packaging these with separate boots, seemingly with a choice (felt/cleated soles). Do you buy the top bit (stocking foot) of the waders and then buy some boots? These must then attach in some magical, waterproof way? How? The only breathables I've seen are my mates where the boots are permanently attached. Sorry if this seems a bit basic to some but I've never come across these and am wondering how they work... :confused:

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Tim, the Neoprene socks that are attached to the main body of the breathables, are waterproof. Therefore, in theory, you could go into the water without any boots on, and not get wet. So the Boots are merely for comfort, grip, etc . . . . .

So, choose a pair of stocking-foot breathables, then buy a pair of boots that you wear over the Neoprene sock section.

Shimples :D

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tim, the Neoprene socks that are attached to the main body of the breathables, are waterproof. Therefore, in theory, you could go into the water without any boots on, and not get wet. So the Boots are merely for comfort, grip, etc . . . . .

So, choose a pair of stocking-foot breathables, then buy a pair of boots that you wear over the Neoprene sock section.

Shimples :D
Ahh..... The neoprene socks... Never cottoned (neoprened?) (see that??) onto them. So I can use any old boot?

Why do you need waders in your boat?????????
Boatum schmoatum. Haven't been out since March, what with shifts, weather, mates (launchers) non-available, tides, weather, household jobs, weather etc!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
So I can use any old boot?
In theory yes, any old boot. The dedicated wading boots though are designed to let water out, so that you don't squelch around with big heavy boots throughout your session. They are also sized to take into account the thick neoprene socks (generally).

I've found that it pays to buy decent boots though, otherwise they don't last. This season i am sporting the Greys GRXi Breathables, with Greys Platinum Boots. So far, so good.

·
Registered
779 Posts
yeah any boot will do but most of the wading boots are designed for the job and will self drain and have studs or felt soles to prevent slipping (they are generally quite light too)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Oh I forgot to mention you need boots about a size larger than you usually take to accomodate for the thickness of the neoprene sock

I currently use GRX waders as theyre very robust and cheap too (using the platinum studded boots at the moment)

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am also considering a pair of breathable waders (don't mean to hijack your thread Tim). I have no problem with the wader part but with the soles of the boots. I have been told that felt soles are slippery on grass so it is difficult to walk to the mark so not much of a good all round sole.

I like the look of the platinum boots with the sticky rubber soles and studs. However, when on rocks do the metal studs not make you kind of skate/slide or offer no grip (this is what it seems to someone who has not tried any). Therefore, some enlightenment on the matter of soles would be great.

Cheers

Ben

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I am also considering a pair of breathable waders (don't mean to hijack your thread Tim). I have no problem with the wader part but with the soles of the boots. I have been told that felt soles are slippery on grass so it is difficult to walk to the mark so not much of a good all round sole.
Your spot on there matey, slippy as a cowpat when on steep wet grass :???:

I like the look of the platinum boots with the sticky rubber soles and studs. However, when on rocks do the metal studs not make you kind of skate/slide or offer no grip (this is what it seems to someone who has not tried any)
Your close to the truth again :|

There is no 'do-it-all' sole, sticky rubber is great on dry rock, shite on wet. Studs, great on grass but slippy on certain hard rocks and noisy as a herd of cattle. Felt, great on rock, wet or dry, close to death on the steeper green stuff :-o

Me, I fish over rough limestone, mainly covered in barnacles, lots of kelp on the big tides, grassy walk-ins fairly often.........felt for me all the way :-D

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hi all...... whilst we are on this subject has anybody used Bison breathable waders as advertised here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BISON-BREATHAB...item895ebf33f3 ??? All comments welcome. Thanks in advance
I havnt but was sorely tempeted, however for bargain waders it is worth checking out the Orvis shop in Clarks village in street, I recently got a pair + felt studded boots for £110. I dont know much about waders but I understand Orvis is a decent brand with customer service that is second to none so any problems and they will be replaced without question.

Worth a look IMHO

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm using the Greys GRXI waders with the felt boots with studs, takes a bit of time to get use to studs and all the skating but they seem more robust than some of the rubber soled boots I've used. Last pair the rubber sole started to peel off after first outing. But I do love my GRXI, girlfriend wasn't to impressed when I suggested she put them on to get me in the woo woo mood.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts