The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
as above. not content with having a broken reel last week and having to replace that now i've got a cracked tip section on my teklon 802. its split longitudinally along the blank between the middle rings on the the tip section. its still in 1 piece but is useless.

i'ts just cracked/ split half way up the tip section when casting a feed shalow + this morning.

is there anything I can do? it's only 6mths old and the rod was like new (ish).

I got it from Veals - i'll give them a ring

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I feel for you, first a reel and now the rod.
Given what you have said I would agree with Tim-Time to phone Veals. Founds like something wasn't right with the blank.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
That's bad luck Richard. If you look at the split location and there's no obvious damage...chip etc then take it back and see what Veals will do for you mate...Good luck.....

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have emailed veals- been busy at work today so didn't have time to phone. i'll keep you all posted. i know it's not super expensive but still ought to do better than that. if i'd shut it in the car door i'd still be gutted but at least i could beat myself up so to speak....

i'm down to a £5 reel until later this week.... now down to the old rod as well.... gutted.

i've seen my mate break a loomis fly rod on a cast a couple of yrs ago with no malpractice at all - a £700 rod just split pretty much the same as this has. he'd had such a bad day with that one he pretty much gave up fishing - he's not fished since. even with an unconditional guarantee that was painful for him - shame you don't get that service with saltwater rods. i can't imagine what it must feel like to break a new red rod....

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you get chance Richard give them a ring tomorrow .. has generally worked far better then email for me for this kind of thing in the past

Last occasion was a few months ago when a section of a nearly new pole snapped. Had no response from the retailer to my email but got it all sorted without cost after a phone call

Im sure Veals will see you right. I have always found them first rate to deal with

Good luck anyway!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shaun - that would really make me unhappy.....

just got back tonight and checked my emails - v encouraging and helpful email from veals. basically i need to saw out the broken section and post it to them for inspection and if theyre happy they'll contact grauvell for a replacement tip section. they said grauvell are usually pretty good for after sales service.

not over till the fat lady sings but good on veals and grauvell if they do sort it out without hassle. that would mean a lot to me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I very nearly busted my new AFAW, using it under a local pier at low tide. I would not of been happy (as it was, that loud crack was the sound of the brand new lure hitting a pipe overhead) if it had happened as it would have been 100% my fault and I would have known there was nothing I could have done about getting a replacement, except to start putting the pennies away again.

When I read your first post just now, I could feel that heart sinking feeling go thru me, for you.
Its really good that Veals have come back to you so quickly and so positively. I really wish you every success (and a speedy one too) in getting this sorted. However, do yourself a huge favour here Richard. Print off that email and be sure it shows their email address etc, then keep it in a safe place. Just in case...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep, it's not over until the replacement section is here in my hand i guess... encouraging so far though. just had to saw the offending section out of the rod tip section this morning to send up to them. that was wierd..... sawing through my prized lure rod with a junior hacksaw...... broken or not, i didn't like it..

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh - and just to rub salt in it my brand new rarenium has just arrived from **** (excellent service as ever) as well as a ima sasuke in orange/ gold..... i'll have to crack out the old faithful flexy shimano travel rod later i think....i thought this week i'd be all sorted with decent rod/ decent new reel finally - was down to the old travel rod and a knackered £10 reel at one point... hopefully things will pick up and i might even catch some fish...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
excellent news from Veals as below...

Hello Rich,

We have received the section, and have got Grauvell to agree to replace it without seeing it …… so replacement is on its way, should arrive tomorrow but will need signing for.

Tight lines

Dave

Brilliant customer service from Veals and Grauvell. I'm really pleased as good customer service is getting hard to find in the non fishing world thesedays....

also - thanks for all your help and kind support on the forum in my hour of need......

richb

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
great news for you rich and fair play to veals / grauvells to.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thats brilliant news Rich!!
Am really plesed for you matey

:D

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yep, i'm chuffed with veals/ grauvell really. be even better when it turns up tomorrow....

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
update - turned up in a massive box - all ok. good one veals/ grauvell....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Excellent news Richard.

I'l bt you cant wait to get out and play now :D

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Most dealers are suspect of the "It just broke" quote.

In my personal experience, I have broken only a few rods. I own or have owned, over 160 rods

I have witnessed only 2 rods breaking that were...unexplainable. Only 1 my own.
A very low percentage and, I am involved in design, development and product evaluation on rods that aren't quite there yet etc..

1 a beachcaster and just starting to load on it's very 1st cast and 1, an LRF rod on it's second only cast.

I'm not aiming this stuff at any one person but rods ARE abused and lure anglers are far worse than beach bait anglers in this respect.

I think rod abuse and lure retrieval deserves it own thread but, it could get heated if the truth be told so I'll wait to hear from a mod before starting it.

However, I think it would help to discuss HOW TO get lures back without breaking or stressing rods and reel spindles.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i've seen a mate have a loomis fly rod break mid cast a couple of yrs ago with nothing wrong with it beforehand - no abuse etc.

my grauvell has had a summers use but no abuse.

good on veals though

1 - 20 of 23 Posts