The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone point me in the direction of a uk outlet that supplies jig heads and other materials suitable for making Bucktails please,....

Never used bucktails before but thought it might be fun having a go at making some, then trying them out. Reckon I've got the perfect spot to try some out,

I've seen Keiths lowdown on jerseybassguides, so thought why not ave a go.

any thoughts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Any flyfishing shop will tend to stock Bucktails, try someone like Sportfish online.
Jighead wise Mrfish carries a good selection, or AGM has some cheaper ones. I would PM Keith for reconmendations.

Reactions: Paul C

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Just to tie this thread up..

hair (bucktails) are superbly effective.

However, the UK only seems to get the really rubbish hair tails shipped over.
We've found that sourcing in the US results (generally) in longer and higher quality hair.

You can pretty much tail and collared jighead but again, OTD and swimming jigs requires slightly different considerations.
Don't go too heavy.

You just need to learn to control the fall.

I'll write a thread on how to do it and build jigs that assist that goal.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I've been using stripers online but I recently got some hair from BassPro that my mate got for me and it's excellent, very long and very clean.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Yes Andy, we got select tails from Stripers Online too. However, recent orders saw a few really short and crappy tails creep in.

In general, they've been excellent though.

Looking to get about 2 dozen tails right now.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Try BassPro Keith. The one I got was nice. I need to get the burner running soon when my new mould arrives for the football jigs and will make some more smaller bucktail jigs as well. I like the smallest hotlips size, don't recall what that is now. Think it's 1/8oz. They look great in the water, even when worked quickly and very twitchy just under the surface. The beaks and mack love them. Not a fan of the larger sizes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks for all the info guys. I
Im off to get some gear and give it a go.
Look forward to additional explanations/methods in the future Keith.

Is there any particular type of hairs I should be looking at as there seems to be a whole lot of choice. I know that im looking for white or mainly white

1 - 13 of 13 Posts