The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd question - especially from me!

I need to pickup a budget outfit for my grandad to use out in Ireland for our trip in July - mostly bass plugging and a Bushwhacker is the obvious rod choice however reels are a bit of a quandary!

Looked at the the cheaper Seido and Hyperloop from Shimano - anybody have experience with the £30 reel market?

Will load it with spare braid I have at home - most likely 15lb Power Pro! (Although I may change that to 30lb knowing how many of my lures he is likely to lose!)

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Luke uses the Exage, and that seems fine for the money. Not as smooth as a £100 reel - but probably still smoother than a VS ;).

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Odd question - especially from me!

I need to pickup a budget outfit for my grandad to use out in Ireland for our trip in July - mostly bass plugging and a Bushwhacker is the obvious rod choice however reels are a bit of a quandary!

Looked at the the cheaper Seido and Hyperloop from Shimano - anybody have experience with the £30 reel market?

Will load it with spare braid I have at home - most likely 15lb Power Pro! (Although I may change that to 30lb knowing how many of my lures he is likely to lose!)
I have had lots of the cheaper Shimanos over the years and they are great.
Believe it or not one of my most successful reels ever for me is a Shimano KX.
These are rear drag and a lot of the external features are plastic,but its so so smooth and has very good line lay.
I also have Shimano Sahara which is a good reel and again has supurb line lay.
These reels are all US spec and came from Cabelas,but dont let that put you off,there great.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've got one of the shimano hyperloop 4000 rear drag reels and for what you pay for it, it's brilliant.
I'm sure the front drag would be just as good.
Having said that, I like buggering around with things, so don't mind a strip & re-pack with some decent grease now and again. Less than £20 I think. He'll be throwing more than that on the end of the line.

·
Registered
35 Posts
New exage's are making about £35 in ebay auctions.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just a thought, but on a cycling forum that I read now & again, people were asked to donate spare bits and pieces to build a 'forum bike' that could be used whenever a spare was needed.
Could we do something like that here?
Next time anybody's got a mate that wants to try lurefishing that outfit could be sent. Just a low cost way for people to have a go
I'll donate the hyperloop mentioned above.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would go for one of the Mitchells - good value for money IMHO. Can get one anywhere from £20 - £100. Used the avocet gold ii 2000 out in Aus and nailed lots of trevally/queenfish/Mangrove jacks up to 9lb. Feels much smoother and less clunky than a shimano catana that I own. Only issue is its not very salt water proof and the front drag model seems harder to track down.

http://www.mitchell-fishing.co.uk/catalogue/reels,556/catalog,1.html

Good for the money.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mitchell-Blad...vr_id=&cguid=654edec11290a0aad2a77a87ffdf73cf

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Alex,

I fish on a very tight budget, and I can recommend the Shimano Catana reel. It may only cost £25 but it has served me well for over a year. Line lay is fine, drag still fine. Maybe getting a bit worn out now, but it has been used twice a week for a year and is still going fine...

Lets hope I have not jinxed it by saying that!

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Alex I set a guy up with a lovely rod, reel and braid for under £75 the other day, I would use the gear myself its sound. You can get some great tackle that is so much better than what was available a few years ago. Just look around mate, there are some bargains out there.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hi Alex,

I fish on a very tight budget, and I can recommend the Shimano Catana reel. It may only cost £25 but it has served me well for over a year. Line lay is fine, drag still fine. Maybe getting a bit worn out now, but it has been used twice a week for a year and is still going fine...

Lets hope I have not jinxed it by saying that!
I echo those sentiments. The Catana is brilliant value for money. Long as you rinse it off after every session.

·
Registered
268 Posts
How about starting a sticky for budget tackle, that really works? Must be many on here who would like to try new styles of fishing but put off by the cost. I know I am.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like a good idea!

**** - drop me a PM with what you sold - I may well give Doug a call when you are away!

I gave my Catana to my brother last year and yes it's going to Ireland!!! (had to repack it with grease and give it a service after he dunked it a few times!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts